FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#211361 - 12/04/05 10:32 PM "un-intentional conditioning"
chickenchaser Offline

Loc: Auburn,New York,U.S.A.
or just plain ol' injuring yourself during class! the other day while between the kids class and adult class i was practicing one of my nunchaku kata. i was doing this kata quite slow so i could tweak it and make it "better". so right in the middle i was thinking "okay step, step, crouch,block" and wouldn't you know i cracked myself right in the eye with the end of the nunchaku. i was fine until i realized i was bleeding from my eyelid! so i went and got it cleaned up and put some antiboitic ointment over the cut so i could finish class. that has to be the swiftest thing i have ever done so has anyone else "un-intentionally conditioned" a part of their body during class or practice with a weapon or anything else?? would love to hear it!

p.s. i did a search and came up with nothing that seemed like this so sorry if there was and i am just repeating a thread.

#211362 - 12/04/05 11:05 PM Re: "un-intentional conditioning" [Re: chickenchaser]
PierrePressure Offline

Don't know if this counts, but just recently I was stretching out before class, and I was doing the butterfly stretch (the one where you sit on the floor and bring your feet in as close as possible to yourself, and your knees stick out). I'm really flexible with that particular stretch, and I can actually touch the floor with my forehead. Unfortunately, I wasn't really watching how low I was going (I was talking at the time, looking at someone above me), and next thing I know, I hit my head on the floor! I'm so smart sometimes it's frightening .

Of course there are the countless other times when I've been goofing off, throwing roundhouses or whatever, and then actually hit an object that's really, really hard. That's funny, despite the pain .

#211363 - 12/04/05 11:06 PM Re: "un-intentional conditioning" [Re: chickenchaser]
Foolsgold Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Lyon, MI, USA
I have a bad habit of not moving when I see a kick coming in sparring .

#211364 - 12/05/05 12:19 AM Re: "un-intentional conditioning" [Re: chickenchaser]
srv Offline
The OTHER forum Doctor

Loc: SA, Australia
We have one guy at our dojo who is theoretically the same rank as me (nidan-ho) but he stopped training for many years. In fact he was the same rank when I started training but stopped for many many years during which time he has trained in boxing so his punches are phenomenally quick and strong. He regularly conditions my head during sparring with his fist!!!

I also conditioned myself with my bo a lot when I statred training with that.

#211365 - 12/05/05 12:40 AM Re: "un-intentional conditioning" [Re: Foolsgold]
UofM Shorin Ryu Offline
Resident Forum Breakdancer

Quote:

I have a bad habit of not moving when I see a kick coming in sparring .

Haha! I've got the same "deer caught in headlights" problem too....don't know how many times me and my TKD buddy were just goofin off then WHAM! A swift kick to the nose always brightenes your day.....

Don't know if this counts, but I was goofin off breakin and tryin a move way too advanced for me, overstretched my arm and it felt like I tore it out. Kinda went limp on me the rest of the day . But since then I've gotten stronger on that arm (right side) and can do some nifty stuff with it.

I've also taught people, had one guy go through some basic things, he was doin alright. Right up to I showed him what the moves looked like at full strength and speed, and advanced versions of the move. Well he thought he was buff enough (he was ) to go right to advanced one arm "turtle" freeze, slipped, landed on his nose, broke it, blood all over the floor. Guess I forgot to mention it was more about balance than strength....Never saw him again....

But I guess that's why they call it "breakin"
We really do learn through pain, and trial and error.....

Edited by UofM Shorin Ryu (12/05/05 12:42 AM)

#211366 - 12/05/05 12:21 PM Re: "un-intentional conditioning" [Re: UofM Shorin Ryu]
Xaith Offline

Loc: Indiana
Holding a big pad for a higher rank's kick practice. had one hand on top of the pad in between it and my face.

I didn't realize the guy kicking had stopped practicing the footwork and was ready to follow through. His kick knocked the bag up hard and knocked my fist into my face. A busted lip and slightly tougher knuckles

I have been doing nunchaku for about 10 years. Last year I bought a new pair of nunchaku that had a lot different feel and weight. Also they were my first pair with cord instead of chain, and the cord was much shorter than the chain I was used to. Made the mistake of tryin 'em out at full speed. I was going from a figure eight to a pass behind the head when I hit myself behind the ear and managed to knock myself out. It was kind of like "hey these are cool, I like the grip... what am I doing on the floor?" I was only out for a second or two, but it was still embarrassing

Edited by Xaith (12/05/05 12:34 PM)

#211367 - 12/05/05 12:57 PM Re: "un-intentional conditioning" [Re: Xaith]
chickenchaser Offline

Loc: Auburn,New York,U.S.A.
us MAist are deadly with nunchaku.....especially to our self! i don't know what it is about me but when it comes to injuring oneself whether it be in a MA class or anywhere i think it is hilarious.....does that make me evil???? but i do think it's funny when i injure myself too not just other people.

#211368 - 12/05/05 07:53 PM Re: "un-intentional conditioning" [Re: chickenchaser]
srv Offline
The OTHER forum Doctor

Loc: SA, Australia
Heard a couple of funny nunchauka stories.
1. Guys was about to do a nunchauka kata - Instructor called masuba dachi - normally in weapons katas you don't do the hand movements - just stand there till called to start the kata. Tried to do masuba dachi hand movements while holding nunchauka and knocked himself out!

2. Guy in bar and was amping up to get into a fight (obviously an idiot MAist) Started twirling his nunchauka to look impressive and scare off the other blokes. Knocked himself in the head and hit the ground. Only positive - the fight ended cause everyone just started laughing!

#211369 - 12/06/05 03:50 PM Re: "un-intentional conditioning" [Re: srv]
sunspots Offline
oldtimer/newbie
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern Oregon, USA
I work a very large weapon called a Ma Do or Guan Do. It's about the same height as I am, and heavy. Half of it is steel broadsword blade and the rest in the handle, with a steel ring at the end. One section of the form that I do with it requires me to swing it to full arm extension BEHIND me. I can't tell you how many times I've whacked the back of my head with that darn ring!! One of my Sensei's has teased me about trying to make a bald spot there...

#211370 - 12/06/05 04:19 PM Re: "un-intentional conditioning" [Re: sunspots]
fattts14 Offline

Loc: T.O. On, Can
My first time at a new club I was doing some bag work. Kicking my little heart out. Everything was going fine until I switched bags and kicked as hard as I could. Only to find that the new bag i chose was one of those rock hard all sand bags...ouch!!!
After that I decided to do some punching combos (back on the soft bag) to give my aching shins a breack. Jab, Jab, Cross, Spinning back fist - But I caught the bag with a spinning back elbow and hyper-extended it. What a hurtin unit I am...got armbared by a heavy bag.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga