FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
simonajones111 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#211313 - 12/04/05 09:50 PM Moving meditation
Mike_L Offline

Loc: Rio Rancho NM/Louisville KY (U...
Forms can be a moving meditation if practiced in the correct way. If you truly practice the forms without thinking about anything except the movements and Strengthening your techniques while using breath control then they become moving meditation. It does not matter what style of Martial arts you practice or which form you practice, but if you practice all of the forms you know at a moderate speed while using the best technique and breath control you Possibly can while concentrating you can obtain a state of meditation. While you increase you techniques,forms,coordination,power,speed, and acuracy and develope a sense of your own abilitys. Forms eventually become reflex and you don't even have to think about you next move when you are doing them. It is also a great way to get in shape and discipline yourself.

I believe forms/kata/patterns are a very important part of traditional martial arts and can take you to another level. Think about this the next time your doing forms in class or at home and try it out for your self.!

#211314 - 12/04/05 10:05 PM Re: Moving meditation [Re: Mike_L]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
Walking when done with 'conscious intention' can also be a 'moving meditative exercise'

#211315 - 12/04/05 10:13 PM Re: Moving meditation [Re: ButterflyPalm]
Mike_L Offline

I agree, I just wanted to relate it to martial arts. So your skills can be worked on while you meditate. I agree there are many ways of meditataion and no wrong way, but I like this way a lot and I believe others will to if they try it.

#211316 - 12/05/05 08:23 AM Re: Moving meditation [Re: ButterflyPalm]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Indeed, there are Japanese (and probably others) priests who walk into Buddhahood. They cover thousands of miles. If they don't do a required amount they have to commit suicide, apparently.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#211317 - 12/05/05 09:18 AM Re: Moving meditation [Re: Mike_L]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
Quote:

Forms eventually become reflex and you don't even have to think about you next move when you are doing them

"Conscious intention" in walking meditation is the opposite of the above quote.

Everyday walking to us have become 'unconscious'; you never think about your body walking when you walk, do you?

Well, 'conscious intention' means therefore to be fully / completely aware of all the internal / external functions of the whole body doing the walking. Your ordinarily complacent mind will, after a while, 'connects' itself to the internal activities body, and this "enlightened" awareness will loop back to the mind, stimulating it and thus cultivating "mindfulness"

#211318 - 12/05/05 11:23 AM Re: Moving meditation [Re: ButterflyPalm]
phoenixsflame Offline

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
Quote:

Quote:

Forms eventually become reflex and you don't even have to think about you next move when you are doing them

"Conscious intention" in walking meditation is the opposite of the above quote.

Everyday walking to us have become 'unconscious'; you never think about your body walking when you walk, do you?

Well, 'conscious intention' means therefore to be fully / completely aware of all the internal / external functions of the whole body doing the walking. Your ordinarily complacent mind will, after a while, 'connects' itself to the internal activities body, and this "enlightened" awareness will loop back to the mind, stimulating it and thus cultivating "mindfulness"

I like the Zen Practice of Mindfulness in every movement. I do not like things becoming mindless, just being done and practiced. If I react in a self defense manner, or a sparring manner, then yes. Its normally mindless. But, I think most of my "moving meditations" would be more attributed to the mindfulness, or "Concious Intention" as Butterfly Palm put it.

But, that is me. I think meditation is as personal as martial arts style. We each do it for different reasons... I agree whole heartedly with the fact that meditation can be in anything. I meditate when I wash the dishes and change my son. I meditate while I clean the cat box and while I drive to work.

I don't meditate while I go to the bathroom though, I am not very appreciative of my bodily functions... ;D

#211319 - 12/05/05 05:29 PM Re: Moving meditation [Re: phoenixsflame]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Irrespective of the situation you're in, it should always be one of mindful intent, not mindlessness.

Whether it be sitting, standing, eating, walking, practising forms, or about to get your butt whipped, etc. etc.

Edited by eyrie (12/05/05 05:37 PM)

#211320 - 12/05/05 06:05 PM Re: Moving meditation [Re: eyrie]
Mike_L Offline

I did not mean that you become mindless, I wanted to state that you could concentrate on meditation and make your technique better at the same time. And that you could focus on that rather than on remembering which move comes next, because you would already know, now you could make it better.

Perhaps I miss worded my thoughts.

#211321 - 12/05/05 06:09 PM Re: Moving meditation [Re: Mike_L]
phoenixsflame Offline

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
Quote:

I did not mean that you become mindless, I wanted to state that you could concentrate on meditation and make your technique better at the same time. And that you could focus on that rather than on remembering which move comes next, because you would already know, now you could make it better.

Perhaps I miss worded my thoughts.

I think we all had an understanding, I simply wanted to warn people away from simply doing things mindlessly. It is a dangerous practice to do things without thought behind them.

#211322 - 12/05/05 07:10 PM Re: Moving meditation [Re: Mike_L]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Mike, I was referring to phoenixflames' post:
Quote:

... I do not like things becoming mindless, just being done and practiced. If I react in a self defense manner, or a sparring manner, then yes. Its normally mindless.

On the one hand, he's saying not being mindless, and in the next breath, he's mindless under certain circumstances.

Hence my response.

I understood your post. ButterflyPalm's response is on the money.

Quote:

I wanted to state that you could concentrate on meditation and make your technique better at the same time. And that you could focus on that rather than on remembering which move comes next, because you would already know, now you could make it better.

Perhaps you meant for meditation as a way to look deeper into what you're doing as you're doing the form?

For the sake of evoking further discussion, perhaps you would like to elucidate upon the "how"?

What do you mean by "concentrate on meditation"? How does one become "better" by meditating on movement?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga