FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
trevek 6
JKogas 5
cxt 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:17 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432446 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#210916 - 12/03/05 03:05 PM Learning from a beginner?
Xaith Offline

Loc: Indiana
I think this is the first time I've posted in this forum, and it's been quite a while since I've posted at all. While I really enjoy the Chinese martial arts, my opportunity to study them, apart from philosophically, has been limited.

Right now, I study TKD and Hapkido because they are the only things available to me. Recently, I began to study Tai Chi in a club format. My knowledge of Tai Chi itself is very limited apart from the basic history.

The person who leads the club knows one form, and no applications. All we do is the one form repeatedly for 30-45 minutes once a week. I perform it more often on my own throughout the week.

My question is, am I doing myself more help or harm by learning a primarily internal art form from someone who, as she puts it, "still very much a beginner," and says that later on, you incorporate breathing, but she doesn't know how.

I understand that, because of the nature of Tai Chi, one can be a beginner for their entire life, but surely there's a point at which someone shouldn't teach at all, and I don't want to learn all the basics wrong if I continue Tai Chi later in life.

If it makes a difference at all, my laoshi is Chinese, and she what Tai Chi she knows in China.

#210917 - 12/03/05 05:48 PM Re: Learning from a beginner? [Re: Xaith]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Seems strange she's teaching if she doesn't know the stuff.

However, my sifu does know his stuff and for the first few weeks all I did was form.

Another point is whether her style of Tai Chi is actually based on combat. some aren't.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#210918 - 12/03/05 05:53 PM Re: Learning from a beginner? [Re: trevek]
Xaith Offline

Loc: Indiana
I'm not paying for it. It's a professor at my college who leads us. She teaches Tai Chi for health benefit and not for self defense or combat. I'm doing it as a supplement to the rest of my training, none of which is internal.

#210919 - 12/04/05 06:07 AM Re: Learning from a beginner? [Re: Xaith]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Ah, I did Taoist Tai Chi, which is fitness only, and they spent most of the first three months teaching form only. After you know the form they start correcting you in the moves etc.

I found it relaxing and interesting for learning to move my body in different ways. trouble was I got frustrated cos I wanted MA action, so eventually I took up Chen. The exercise was useful and I was already familiar with some moves.

I don't think it'll hurt you.

#210920 - 12/04/05 06:32 PM Re: Learning from a beginner? [Re: trevek]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I agree with Trevek. If you are doing it for fitness reasons, and you are getting a workout, then I see no harm in it.

#210921 - 12/05/05 09:36 AM Re: Learning from a beginner? [Re: MattJ]
AiKiDo_Eldar Offline
Stranger

hi all, I kinda live in Israel , and maybie any of u know bout some Dojo in Israel (:
Right now i'm learning AiKiDo, but i realy wanted to try Kung-Fu.

#210922 - 12/05/05 03:02 PM Re: Learning from a beginner? [Re: trevek]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Ah, Chen - fitness purposes aside (all tai chi should be good for fitness) i think this is the most beneficial form I have ever been exposed to. Wudang comes in as a close second.

#210923 - 12/05/05 04:46 PM Re: Learning from a beginner? [Re: ShikataGaNai]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Got to admit, I was aching like hell after my first session. Even after 10 years of TKD, the TC is showing me what a clodhopper I am and how stiff I am.

My sifu also teaches Yang and White Crane KF, so I get a bit more than exercise.

#210924 - 12/07/05 06:34 PM Re: Learning from a beginner? [Re: trevek]
BaguaMonk Offline

Loc: DALLAS TX BABY
Just learn the form. I knew a lady at a community college who died recently. But she taught Tai chi for health, and basic push hands..but her focus was not martial arts, nor was she good at it. But the energy work we did was fabulous, and it helps greatly in ANY martial art.

It might not be the real deal, but the energy and health benefits are always worth it. Especially for free. Honestly, I'm considering going to another class that is more energy focused, because mine is too form/fight focused. (so I go to both at same time).

#210925 - 12/22/05 01:33 PM Re: Learning from a beginner? [Re: Xaith]
kronin Offline

Loc: Costa Rica
Quote:

I think this is the first time I've posted in this forum, and it's been quite a while since I've posted at all. While I really enjoy the Chinese martial arts, my opportunity to study them, apart from philosophically, has been limited.

Right now, I study TKD and Hapkido because they are the only things available to me. Recently, I began to study Tai Chi in a club format. My knowledge of Tai Chi itself is very limited apart from the basic history.

The person who leads the club knows one form, and no applications. All we do is the one form repeatedly for 30-45 minutes once a week. I perform it more often on my own throughout the week.

My question is, am I doing myself more help or harm by learning a primarily internal art form from someone who, as she puts it, "still very much a beginner," and says that later on, you incorporate breathing, but she doesn't know how.

I understand that, because of the nature of Tai Chi, one can be a beginner for their entire life, but surely there's a point at which someone shouldn't teach at all, and I don't want to learn all the basics wrong if I continue Tai Chi later in life.

If it makes a difference at all, my laoshi is Chinese, and she what Tai Chi she knows in China.

Doing the form over and over again is the most important thing. In many classes they donīt teach you the breathing, but it comes eventually. Thatīs why most teachers donīt worry about it while they are trying to get you to know the moves. I come from another school. I do Tai Chi for health and a lot of Chi Kung. I have done enough other arts to not really need to go the self defense route. During the Chi Kung one learns the breathing techniques that go along with Tai Chi. If you practice the chi kung in the class before doing the form, you will develop the breathing technique much faster. There is only one rule, that isnīt true all of the time, of course. Inhale for movements going up or out, exhale for those going down or moving in. The breathing, however, is much more subtle than that and can only be learned for yourself as you continue to do the exercises. In time you will discover that the breathing comes because it is the most efficient type of breathing to do during the form.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga