FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
TooNice 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#210437 - 12/02/05 04:39 AM Effective Range of Pepper Spray
Subedei Offline

Just what is the effective range of pepper spray?

*Civilian grade, police grade, large animal grade?
*How much protection will clothing provide?
*Do narcotics/adrenaline dull the effects?
*Would any of these grades be an effective defense against someone armed with a knife? How about a machete or a baseball bat? (I would imagine so, but just thought I'd ask)

I'm not planning anything silly, just curious Thanks.

#210438 - 12/02/05 01:01 PM Re: Effective Range of Pepper Spray [Re: Subedei]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Range?

Considering that the most popular pattern is the stream rather than the old style cone (mist), the best range is that in which you could put the product on the desired target. Considering how most confrontations tend to involve movement, I would suggest that the distance would be between 5 to 10 feet. This is of course based on the content pressure and quality of the cannister/ nozzle. Passed that...it's anyone's guess.

Pepper is pepper. Some are hotter than others. Any commercial OC would probably be sufficient for use as a SD tool.

Clothing provides protection if used to block the product from reaching the intended target...the face. A bit of a no brainer there.

Narcotics and adrenalin? Yes. They can have an affect on the response to OC pepper spray.

OC vs Knife? Effective? I would not suggest it unless you have received appropriate training with the OC and still only if you have no other recourse and it fits into your plan of escape. Blinding an armed hostile subject with pepper does not necesarily make them less of a threat.

There are too many factors to list here. Seek out a good tactical instructor who teaches OC tactics.

#210439 - 12/02/05 02:21 PM Re: Effective Range of Pepper Spray [Re: Fletch1]
Tolyn1007 Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area
I agree with Fletch. Unlike mace (CS) where an indirect hit (say to the chest) can cause the desired effect, OC needs to contact the moist tissue in the sinuses and eyes to get the full effect (not that it doesn't burn any way but unless it's inhaled or strikes the eyes, it's just not the same). Also, like with CS, different people react to OC in different ways. Some people are totally unaffected, others, they drop like a ton of bricks crying. *shrug*

#210440 - 12/04/05 06:27 PM Re: Effective Range of Pepper Spray [Re: Tolyn1007]
phoenixsflame Offline

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
Quote:

I agree with Fletch. Unlike mace (CS) where an indirect hit (say to the chest) can cause the desired effect, OC needs to contact the moist tissue in the sinuses and eyes to get the full effect (not that it doesn't burn any way but unless it's inhaled or strikes the eyes, it's just not the same). Also, like with CS, different people react to OC in different ways. Some people are totally unaffected, others, they drop like a ton of bricks crying. *shrug*

The last part of this statement is totally right on. I've been hit by pepper spray once, because I made the mistake of trying to help a drunken woman off the ground. She thought I was attacking, got a face full of pepper.

It burned, but were I an attacker... It would've only cauesd me to attack more viciously. As it stood I just swore and stood up and repeated. "can I help you? Are you ok?" A few times until she felt really bad and bought me food at a Denny's once I washed the pepper out of my eyes. (It stained my face red, how wierd is that?)

I'd suggest the Mace, or if we're talking heavy duty. Lets go with one of those stun guns. Electricity works on everyone

#210441 - 12/07/05 12:27 PM Re: Effective Range of Pepper Spray [Re: phoenixsflame]
fattts14 Offline

Loc: T.O. On, Can
Sorry to interupt but I heard somewhere that you can build up an immunity to pepper spray. Is there any truth in that?

#210442 - 12/07/05 07:32 PM Re: Effective Range of Pepper Spray [Re: fattts14]
Tolyn1007 Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area
I suppose it's possible. I'm less effected by CS then I am OC primarily from standing in gas houses when I was in the Marine Corps signing the Hymn with lungs full of tear gas. A couple of shots with OC though and I wasn't much interested in building a tolerance.

#210443 - 12/08/05 11:37 AM Re: Effective Range of Pepper Spray [Re: Tolyn1007]
fattts14 Offline

Loc: T.O. On, Can
No it's not fun at all is it? I got sprayed from less then a foot away open eyes and all. I was hyperventilating, poured 2 bags af milk on my eyes, stod in a cold shower for 1/2 an hour, and still had to sleep with a wet cloth over my face and ears. The next day I couldn't open my eyes in the sun, only artificial light.

#210444 - 12/08/05 01:25 PM Re: Effective Range of Pepper Spray [Re: fattts14]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Very possible. There is a small % of the population that is virtually unaffected by OC pepper spray.

#210445 - 12/13/05 06:24 PM Re: Effective Range of Pepper Spray [Re: Fletch1]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania
Or CS gas...PO'd the heck outa my DI in basic training....

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga