FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
Victor Smith 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#209779 - 11/30/05 09:20 PM Re: Why did you choose your style? [Re: horizon]
karates_awesome Offline

I remember when I chose my style. I was in 6th grade and i though it really cool because I had tried it when I was
really little and stuff yet I had to keep on quiting. Anyways my mom gave me the choice of tkd or shotokan and they both seemed to have reputable sensei so it took me a while but in the end I chose shotokan (really for no reason) and I have no regrets about it at all.

#209780 - 11/30/05 10:18 PM Re: Why did you choose your style? [Re: srv]
StitchX860X Offline

Loc: Connecticut
I took tang soo do for a few years, i chose that because at the time it was the only place in my town that had martial arts instruction, my mom actually chose it because it was close to home and she had gone to school with one of the instructors.

Then about nine months ago I began taking Kempo. I chose Kempo because it was something that very many people had not heard of, including myself. My reason for choosing something many people in my area had not heard of was because I started taking Kempo as a project for my senior year in high school and the dojo is close to my house. As for finding out about Kempo I just came across it while looking through my local yellow pages. I am glad I found it becaue I am very hppy with the instruction I receive and I am eager learn many more systems in the years to come.

#209781 - 12/01/05 04:19 AM Re: Why did you choose your style? [Re: phoenixsflame]
horizon Offline

Loc: London
Quote:

Because I'm the reincarnation of Gichin Funakoshi... I have to practice its in my very soul meat.

Sorry. I figured someone had to say something ridiculous to get it out of the way.
Quote:

No problem, we all have those needs sometimes

Quote:

I was actually forced to enroll into martial arts by my mother because I was a scrawny kid with a bad temper that was constantly getting sent to the nurses off because I was getting the potatoes beaten out of me.

So you can thank my mother.

Thanks Phoenixsflame's mom

#209782 - 12/01/05 04:32 AM Re: Why did you choose your style? [Re: horizon]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Here's how it happened for me. My dad's friend was a goju instructor,I was 17 and wanted to get back into martial arts. I didn't know what goju was,but I knew the guys who taught it were seemingly some badass dudes,which is what I wanted to be. I didn't know much about the different styles at the time,but I soon found out that our instructor was feared by the other instructors around the area. Not because he was mean,but for his abilities.
My dad and my older brother started at the same time I did. My brother quit a year later and my dad stayed to get his shodan. I just kept at it.I still enjoy every minute of it.
For my first class I wore my TKD blue belt--What an idiot!!!!!!

#209783 - 12/01/05 08:10 AM Re: Why did you choose your style? [Re: BrianS]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
I went looking for some exercise with a stick (kobudo), happened to see the teacher doing Goju, and liked what I saw.

#209784 - 12/01/05 12:00 PM Re: Why did you choose your style? [Re: horizon]
phoenixsflame Offline

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
Quote:

Because I'm the reincarnation of Gichin Funakoshi... I have to practice its in my very soul meat.

Sorry. I figured someone had to say something ridiculous to get it out of the way.
Quote:

No problem, we all have those needs sometimes

Quote:

I was actually forced to enroll into martial arts by my mother because I was a scrawny kid with a bad temper that was constantly getting sent to the nurses off because I was getting the potatoes beaten out of me.

So you can thank my mother.

Thanks Phoenixsflame's mom

Actually, whats funny is my mother practiced with me for three years. She was a black belt in TKD, but had to stop because she fell and broke both elbow's, it took her out of the scene completely.

I was really proud of her at the time, she was very over-weight and she took it up inspite of how much it taxed her. She ended up losing a lot of weight, and I kept teaching her things during my different schools of thought.

I think it really inspired me to keep going having a parent in the martial arts with me. I often suggest to those whom have children practicing, that they should practice with them...

And really, I think when it comes to Style. You should never condemn yourself to a single knowledge. We are most effective when we know many ways to do one thing. Because if we try one technique and it fails, if we only have one way to do it, we're screwed. Thats why I enjoyed my instruction in Shito-Ryu, Sensei Nosworthy (My instructor) taught me many routes to do anything, so that if one thing failed I could immediately twist into another.

I humbly thank my instructors for their knowledge, because without them I'd simply be a dancer.

Edited by phoenixsflame (12/01/05 12:01 PM)

#209785 - 12/02/05 02:11 PM Re: Why did you choose your style? [Re: horizon]
roniwankan Offline

Loc: Brazil, Goias
I had no idea about styles, I though that I would arrive in the dojo and smash lots of brains, but... whit the time my sensei used words like traditional karate, goju ryu and shotokan.
so I discovered that he began with traditional, passed by olympical goju-ryu and after changed to Shotokan, So I am a mix of these three kinds of karate, but, of course, I am most shotokan than the others!

#209786 - 12/03/05 08:53 AM Re: Why did you choose your style? [Re: horizon]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
The way I ended up joining Karate was because of overhearing friends about planning on a try-out lesson. I thought: "Why not, you always wanted to know more about it?" So I went with the guys to a dojo in a nearby town. And I was impressed by the sensei and his instructing-abillities.
So I joined.
It's a rather technical and phylosophical style of bogu-karate.
I really enjoy it.

#209787 - 12/09/05 09:28 PM Re: Why did you choose your style? [Re: horizon]
BAMA REDNECK9000 Offline

Loc: ALABAMA
To be completely honest I didn't know what the hell I was getting myself into, I was about ten and I went to my fist class and did some basic stuff, next thing you know I show up for the next class and the next and so on and here I am happy that I'm staying with it becuse I like it and we do a lot of stuff like grappling kick boxing and mainly traditional shotokan.

#209788 - 12/10/05 09:48 PM Re: Why did you choose your style? [Re: BAMA REDNECK9000]
funstick5000 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: West Yorkshire, England
it was local.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga