FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#209421 - 11/29/05 06:09 PM Complimentary Arts
Joe Jutsu Offline
Enthusiast

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has picked up any other martial arts to compliment their aikido. Or did you maybe pick aikido to compliment another MA. Why did you pic the particular MA that you did to compliment aikido. Was it to gain striking skills that you feel that you lacked, or maybe it was to get some idea of what it is like to be on your back in an unfavorable situation?

I will start with myself. AT roughly the beginning of the summer I started practicing Eishin Ryu Iaido. For those who do not know what that is, it is one of the oldest Iaido schools, which is basically a meditative art involving drawing a sword (iaito) from the sheath (saya), cutting in the same motion, finishing off the imagined opponent(s), letting the blood slide off and replacing the sword in a dignified manner. We do a little Katori Shinto Ryu Iaido as well, which includes work with bokken and bo. These arts were available at my dojo, so they were sort of easy to get into (except the price for an entry level iaito is about $450!!). I started it because I really admire the aikido of those who practice these other, more esoteric arts. I cannot really tell if they have been positively effecting my aikido yet, except that my bokken work has defiinitely improved. But since the training is very mental, I suppose to some degree the deep calm that we strive for has been evident in my aikido.

I'm curious as always to read your replies.

Joe.

#209422 - 11/30/05 12:34 AM Re: Complimentary Arts [Re: Joe Jutsu]
xuzen_628 Offline
Unknown MA champion

Loc: Malaysia
A complete newbie to the art of Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo, the art of Japanese stick fighting; my base art being Yoshinkan-ryu aikido.

Jodo, IMO enhances my maai, courage i.e, improve my ability to avoid flinching from an attack, coordination, balance and footwork.

Jodo cover holes in my aikido by helping me in my offensive skill. It also improves by forearm muscle and striking power.

It also enable me to use tactics and strategies which otherwise I was previously unaware of.

Xwf.

#209423 - 11/30/05 10:59 AM Re: Complimentary Arts [Re: Joe Jutsu]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Recently tried Wado Ryu Karate. It seems to blend really well with Aikido. I suppose this is due to both arts being influenced by ju jutsu.

#209424 - 11/30/05 01:36 PM Re: Complimentary Arts [Re: Prizewriter]
phoenixsflame Offline

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
Quote:

Recently tried Wado Ryu Karate. It seems to blend really well with Aikido. I suppose this is due to both arts being influenced by ju jutsu.

It depends on what you want to do with your Aikido.

Do you want to supplement your locking arts? Do you want to supplement your striking? What about Ki cultivation? Footwork? The question is, where do you want to take your Aikido, and maybe you can get a more definate answer.

#209425 - 12/02/05 07:44 AM Re: Complimentary Arts [Re: phoenixsflame]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Good point. I think the Wado/Aikido combination works for me as it allows me to accomplish everything I want to as a Martial artist. I'll not bore you all with what I think a good martial artist should be, but Aikido/Wade helps attain this personal ideal.

From a technical point of view, I find I can blend my techniques when practicing both arts respectively. For instance, I find Unsoku useful for kumite in Wado, and I find some of the striking techniques learnt in Wado make me a very effective uke in Aikido.

So I would say that I view both martial arts as my training. I tell people I studied martial arts if they ever ask. I don't say I study Aikido and Wado. To me, they are inseparable. Not to say that they are not different martial arts, but to me personally they both run through the same conduit (i.e. me). I view them as one.

Many threads through one needle.

#209426 - 12/15/05 03:38 PM Re: Complimentary Arts [Re: Joe Jutsu]
sandanwanabe Offline
Stranger

Loc: Ontario Canada
I started to study ki society aikido in 1990. I found at the beginning the technique was very strong and the study of KI made perfect sense to me. As time went on though, I felt I needed something to round out the technique. I began to attend aikikai seminars in Toronto and surrounding area. I found that they offered more tech and less talk about KI. I had the best of both worlds. I continued to practice with both but eventually moved completely to aikikai since the ki society in ontario seemed to be running into some serious problems.

During all of this, I began to study military unarmed combat which gave me some insight into pressure point combat, grappling and weapons. The pressure point stuff is quite useable in aikdio practice from time to time.

The most complimentary I find is Traditional Wing Chun. Both arts are based on centre line theory. Move from and protect the centre. There are traps and throws in WC and when practicing, I often find that I can move into any of the aikido tech once I have broken the attackers guard.

GReat fun...all of them...

but if I had to give them up and only study one...Aikido would be the one I stick with. It has offered the most mentally for me over the years.

Just my two cents worth...

#209427 - 12/20/05 07:23 PM Re: Complimentary Arts [Re: sandanwanabe]
firecoins Offline
Stranger

Loc: NYC
tai chi has been complimentary to my aikido training.

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga