FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 61 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#208421 - 11/27/05 12:18 AM True Stories...
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

We'll never really know if things happened just as people say, but a story itself can sometimes be useful in delivering a lesson. Share a story you've heard/read and provide the source when known.

"To (Chojun) Miyagi, kicking and punching to expected targets was not karate. One of his senior students Meitoku Yagi (who went on to form the Meibukan Goju ryu organization) tells this story. One day a visitor to Miyagi’s dojo was showing off, asking students to punch him in the stomach to show how strong he was. Miyagi watched and after a while went over to this student. The student tightened his stomach waiting for Miyagi to test him, but Miyagi instead kicked him in the groin. Miyagi then commented that karate is not just to punch and kick to where people are strong, but to punch and kick where they are not expecting it and where they are weak."
source: http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=424

#208422 - 11/27/05 09:41 PM Re: True Stories... [Re: Ed_Morris]
BuDoc Offline
The doctor will see you now

Loc: USA and Abroad
"When I cam to Tokyo, their was another Okinawan who was teaching karate there quite actively. When in Okinawa I hadn't even heard his name. Upon the guidance of another Okinawan, I went to the place where he was teaching youngsters, where he was running his mouth, bragging. Upon seeing this, I grabbed his hand, took up the position of kake-kumite,and sai 'What will you do?' He was hesitant, and I thought to punch him would be too much, so I threw him with kote-gaeshi at which time he fell to the ground with a thud. He got up, his face red, andsaid 'Once more', so we took up the position of kake-kumite again. And again I threw him with kote-gaeshi. He did not relent and asked for another bout, so he was thrown the same way for a third time"

-Motobu Choki on his meeting with Funakoshi Gichin for the first time.

Nakata Mizuhiko, "Ryukyu Kenpo Karate-jutsu Tatsujin Motobu Choki Seiden"; Article #37 p.52-54

Page

#208423 - 11/28/05 02:56 AM Re: True Stories... [Re: BuDoc]
phoenixsflame Offline

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
This is one of my early instructors favorite stories about myself.

When I was 9 years old, my Sensei and I were visiting another Dojo a days drive away. It was a large group of us, it was a tournament and we ended up doing well. Afterwards my Sensei and the instructor of the Dojo we had attended gathered all their students and we went to eat.

We all got along decently, except among the kids there was some tension. During the Kumite one of the boys felt he been wronged because he was disqualified for repeated violation of control. He hit two kids, one in obvious malice the one before that could've been an accident. I was the one who ended up taking first because of his aggression. The boy and his friends came to the arcade where I had taken up residence (Ahh, memories.) and began to start trouble, I didn't understand the big deal so I only half paid attention. Things got elevated and loud and people started to come over. He ended up trying to hit me, so I ducked and panicked.

Instead of punching him, or hitting him, I gave him a big ol' sloppy kiss on the mouth, Akin to Bugs Bunny, and said "whats up Doc!" before bolting past the stunned boy towards the safety of my instructor.

Not quite a regal tale of martial arts glory, but... I think as a father I'd rather my son did that, then got into a fight. Pacifism is Fun!

#208424 - 11/28/05 10:05 AM Re: True Stories... [Re: Ed_Morris]
Paranormalma Offline

Heres a segment about Gene Lebell meeting Bruce Lee, the rest can be found through the link:

"When I got to the set Benny pointed Bruce out and told me to go put him in a headlock or something… Well, I’m a good employee and I always listen to the boss, so I went over to grab Bruce and he starts making all those crazy noises he became famous for. As a joke, I picked him up and put him on my shoulder in a fireman's carry kind of thing, then I ran down the length of the set and back again. Bruce says "put me down or I'll kill you". So I run down the set again and he says, "put me down" and I say "I can't put you down or you'll kill me". After that I sat down and talked to my boss and the other crew members for a couple minutes with him up on my shoulder. He finally crawled off, we all had a good laugh, and we went and shot our scenes."

http://www.genelebell.com/stories.asp#10brucelee

#208425 - 12/03/05 05:51 PM Re: True Stories... [Re: Ed_Morris]
BuDoc Offline

In Okinawa, one of Gusukuma Shinpo's students was abus driver.

One time a drunk got on board the bus and started to cause trouble with the passengers by trying to pick a fight.

The student yelled at the drunk, " Do you really want to fight?" The drunk was quick to take up the challenge and demanded to fight now. The student said he would be more than happy to show him his fighting prowess.

At this the drunk became very angry and demanded that the driver open the door so that they could go at it. When the door opened, the drunk stormed off and readied himself by taking off his coat.

As the drunk got off the student simply smiled, quickly closed the door of the bus and drove off with the drunk in hot pursuit. After a several hundred foot run, the drunk fell and threw up on himself.

The driver had nothing to prove to the drunk or to himself. All of the passengers laughed and told the driver that he had used good strategy.

Page

#208426 - 12/04/05 09:42 AM Re: True Stories... [Re: BuDoc]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
The British sensei Mike Finn told a a similar story of when he was in Japan. One day in a railway station a drunk was hassling a Japanese lady and he felt he (Finn) should intervene. Before he could an old man stepped in his way and took the drunk aside, chatting like old friends.

As the doors on the train were about to close the old man gave the drunk an almighty shove, which sent him backwards into the train carriage. The doors shut and the train (with drunk) went away.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#208427 - 12/04/05 02:09 PM Re: True Stories... [Re: trevek]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

those are kindof like the Bruce Lee flick where he misguides a beligerent American to a tethered dingy while everyone aboard the main ship laughs and points at the helpless Uncle-flotsam. lol I loved that lesson. BL had some good lessons in his movies.

#208428 - 12/04/05 10:05 PM Re: True Stories... [Re: Ed_Morris]
BuDoc Offline

"Sometimes karate training can be called training as a tiger or training as a sheep.

If you train as a tiger, hard training and body conditioning, you can always train with tigers. Other tigers will also recognize you and you can train in peace with them. They know that when two tigers fight, one will die of injuries today and one will die of injuries tomorrow. Both will die, so they have nothing to prove.

If you train like a sheep, with no contact and no two-man conditioning, then you can only train with sheep. A tiger can train with tigers and he can also train with sheep. He just has to be careful not to hurt them. A sheep can not train with tigers.

Sheep see tigers as being very frightening and their conditioning will cause cancer. A sheep training with tigers will get eaten up.

Sometimes you see a sheep who sees the truth of tiger training and changes. In reality the sheep was actually a tiger in sheeps clothing, waiting to come out. A sort of cross dresser--ha ha.

Watch people in training. Look at how they act and how they behave. A tiger can be like a little kitty, but dangerous even though he is friendly. They are quiet and watch everything. Thry listen and watch. They know who they are and they have nothing to prove. They are at peace.

Sheep on the other hand, make all kinds of noises and demand to be heard. They run around and seem to crave attention. They are easily hurt and easily scared. They always group together for their own protection. When danger approaches they look to the group for protection because they can not defend themselves. They are easy prey for the tigers. Whether it is one sheep or several,sheep are still sheep."

-Tomoyose Ryuko , Uechi-Ryu

I know this isn't strictly a tale. It's more like a lesson. But I think it is important and thought others might enjoy it.

Page

#208429 - 12/06/05 04:29 PM Re: True Stories... [Re: BuDoc]
funstick5000 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: West Yorkshire, England
thanks for that, it makes a lot of sense in the way i feel about karate and other things right now. i want to train as a tiger - but i don't have the availability.

#208430 - 12/06/05 10:07 PM Re: True Stories... [Re: funstick5000]
BuDoc Offline

Funstick,

If you have it in your heart to train like a tiger, use whatever is available!

Best of luck,

Page

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga