FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 6
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432483 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#207399 - 12/22/05 09:11 AM Re: New Buddha?? [Re: phoenixsflame]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

#207400 - 12/22/05 09:29 AM Re: New Buddha?? [Re: oldman]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

very significant photo/caption, oldman.

...so there IS suffering being generated by the non-act after all. makes me wonder, did Siddhartha hurt anyone by 'not being there'?

#207401 - 12/22/05 09:31 AM Re: New Buddha?? [Re: Ed_Morris]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Buddhas have Buddha karma.

#207402 - 12/22/05 05:48 PM Re: New Buddha?? [Re: Ed_Morris]
WuXing Offline

Loc: Idaho, USA
All suffering is individual. The cause of suffering is delusion, and attachment. That little sister will learn someday that it was not her brother's going away that causes her pain, but her perception and reaction to his going away. Her attachment causes her suffering. She will learn and one day be capable of releasing her attachment to delusion, and so will be released from this suffering. Maybe if her brother comes back and teaches the wisdom he may gain from his meditation, he will in fact help her to be releaved from all her suffering.

This is not to say her brother is or is not a Buddha...only he could know this. The important thing is to keep practicing.
Because there is no "other", there is no one besides You who is responsible for your own enlightenment/salvation.

#207403 - 12/22/05 10:05 PM Re: New Buddha?? [Re: WuXing]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

"You who is responsible for your own enlightenment/salvation"

What is the role of Buddhas in the relation to the enlightenment of others? Of Bodhisattvas? Or, for the more grounded...the role/opportunity to assist others in their paths?

As for suffering, do we not have responsibility for our actions that may cause suffering for others?

#207404 - 12/23/05 03:34 AM Re: New Buddha?? [Re: Ed_Morris]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
Quote:

...so there IS suffering being generated by the non-act after all. makes me wonder, did Siddhartha hurt anyone by 'not being there'?

There is a story about Kuan Yin, the Chinese Goddess of Mercy, who was originally a man, but changed into a female form so that his wife and family will not be 'attached' to him/her.

Something like your wife (if you have one now) undergoing a sex change.

#207405 - 12/23/05 08:46 AM Re: New Buddha?? [Re: harlan]
WuXing Offline

The role of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas is to point the way for others to find their enlightenment.

We are responsible for all our actions, and whatever karma they may create. This is why one must be guided by their heart, their intuition, and not rely on logic. Relying on the logical mind, Siddharta never would have left his family for fear that they would be "hurt" by his leaving. But his actions produced something much more useful to them, and all those who hear his teachings, by pointing the way for all beings to be releaved of their suffering.

One must follow their heart. Guided by Love and compassion for all Beings, whatever temporary suffering may be indirectly caused by your actions is far outweighed by the good you will create through selfless action.

You could also think of it this way...by leaving "the home life", the Buddha did in fact give his family a chance to commit a selfless act for the good of all Beings, a gift which may have aided them in their own journeys towards enlightenment.

Sometimes what is not done is as important as what is done. Sometimes we do more good for someone by not being there, not saying something, not teaching. Pointing the way sometimes means not pointing.

#207406 - 12/23/05 09:09 AM Re: New Buddha?? [Re: WuXing]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

I tend to think that there is a karmic link between people in various lifetimes. I tend to think that suffering is very important...without it there would not be a ripening of compassion for others if we didn't experience suffering. So, if someone comes our way, and provides us an opportunity to grow via suffering...is that not an act of a Buddha?

#207407 - 12/23/05 10:14 AM Re: New Buddha?? [Re: harlan]
WuXing Offline

Exactly.

#207408 - 12/23/05 07:49 PM Re: New Buddha?? [Re: WuXing]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

I have posted an email from a listserve written by a Buddhist who recently visited the this area/person. Please read it with an open mind, as the person writing is coming from a spiritual framework (not martial):

Subject: [kagyu] A story on Palden Dorje (Ram Bomjon)

As some of you know I am in Nepal on pilgrimage to holy sites and saintly people. Some of you have probably heard about Palden Dorje (Ram Bomjon) who many are saying is the second Buddha, now living in the jungles of Nepal, enclosed in a Pipul Tree and having sat continuously in deep meditation for over six months without moving.
Equally remarkable, this great yogi has not taken food or water and is only fifteen years old. He has only begun his quest and has stated that he will continue sitting for six years. Yesterday I went out to see him with three friends from Manang , two of whom are themselves accomplished dharma practitioners. Below is a summary of the trip for
those who might be interested.

The jungle where Palden Dorje is staying is about an 8 hour drive from Kathmandu. We thought it was much shorter and arrived late, at almost sunset. This turned out to be a good thing, as the crowds had left some time before and we were among the few there. There are two perimeter boundaries surrounding the tree where Palden Dorje sits.
These are there to keep crowds at least 100 feet away from the yogi. Palden Dorje's brother was amongst those in charge of the site and came up to talk to me after I completed some prostrations. He offered to take me inside the perimeter to be closer to his brother and to light butter lamps on a small shrine set up for that purpose. This I did accompanied with two of my Managi companions. The other companion was not permitted to enter, presumably because they did not want more than the three of us inside (after we were done our friend was allowed in.)

In my life I have never seen anyone as still as Palden Dorji. I have seen yogis and great teachers motionless in Samadhi; but this was a different kind of stillness and I will never forget it.

We arrived December 20, and Palden Dorji had just a few days earlier completed 7 months sitting in the same spot without food or water. He has spoken and moved only twice. Once when he got bit by a snake (many believe a cobra) and another to answer some questions put to him by his brother at the request of pilgrims. There were two snake bites,
one of which turned his flesh purple. He requested that no help be called for, but simply asked that a cloth be draped in front of the tree for five days.

I found it interesting that no one stays with him at night to protect him (against wild animals or wild people.) His brother and a Tibetan Lama as well as a few other guardians all leave at night and come back in the early morning. Perhaps the jungle is too raw and they are
afraid (this is in the Chitwan reserve area known for tigers, rhino, elephants, etc.) I have come to find out this evening that the problem of danger (particularly human) is a concern shared by many and that currently Tibetan lamas are in discussion with the government of
Nepal (whoever that is) to create a safer environment for him.

I would like to point out that early on Palden Dorji stated that he is not the second Buddha and that he is only a very high bodhisattva and the aim of his current meditation and austerity is to bring him closer to his goal of Buddhahood. He made it plain that he does not wish to be referred to as "Buddha," a wish for the most part ignored.

A short bio of Palden Dorji's life and family has been published in Nepalese. I am currently in the process of getting it translated into English. I hope to have it done in a week or so. I intend to publish it on the web at: buddhadharma.com when it is completed (1st or
second week of January) . So if you are interested check there first or second week of January.

-Richard

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga