FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
AndyLA 3
Victor Smith 1
kolslaw 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#206880 - 11/21/05 04:27 AM Why choose karate?
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
If you were new to martial arts and looking for a school why should you choose karate all schools not being equal aside?
When I started I wanted to learn how to fight/defend myself. I think that's the main reason most people do,atleast it's the one I hear the most.
With all the different styles why should one choose karate over them?

#206881 - 11/21/05 08:56 AM Re: Why choose karate? [Re: BrianS]
Galen Offline

Honestly, if real world self defense is the goal, I would not recommend any stand up style or system. It is simply too limited in its scope to be real world effective.

I would go with some form of MMA. yes stand up is a required element, but without the rest of the package MMA offers, stand up alone just wont do it.

Galen

#206882 - 11/21/05 11:09 AM Re: Why choose karate? [Re: BrianS]
bo-ken Offline
Veteran

Loc: beaver falls, PA, beaver
I think children choose it because of movies and tv. Any character beating the bad guys does karate on tv they really don't say many other styles. I think adults join for defending themselves and for exercise. I started taking Karate because I didn't like my Tae Kwon Do school. I started taking Tae Kwon Do because I was the smallest and weakest kid ever. But now I am really glad I switched to Shotokan I love it with all my heart.

#206883 - 11/21/05 11:12 AM Re: Why choose karate? [Re: BrianS]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
Karate forms you also mentally. As a self-defense system it works well. (Not all styles are mere stand up.) We train in locks and choke also, still we focus on stand up fighting. The principle is to take someone out standing, that way you don't need to go to the ground.
I must confess, the theory alsways sounds nice, real life is so often different from theory.

#206884 - 11/21/05 11:32 AM Re: Why choose karate? [Re: Galen]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I'd say thats true if you 18-35 yrs of age and want to compete in UFC or MMA competition. But really MMA misses a lot of real world applications and really miss a lot of what self defense is about. First and fore most it dismisses the thought that you can defend againts multiple opponents almost and concentrates on fighting 1 unarmed person.

Though it teaches just about every tactics that a self defense karate style does it stress fighting fair and safe clinching and in. It as this message states have a problem with real self defense thinking its being a sissy to strike/throws grabbing or kicks to he groin, stomps to the insteps/joints (in shoes far more potent then bare feet) and strike the eyes or doesn't know that this what Karate Is. Against multiple opponents that are really trying to hurt you will need these skills. Yeah I know thats improbable but you can't tell that to someone thats pulled it off and walked/ran away.

MMA has its own reality with two people fighting fair its a great option. But for a total street self defense system it lacks alot. A total self defense Karate teaches when to run. And effective training that doesn't require the vigor of training to fight another glaidator. Karate works for the average person living a average life other then persusing MMA competition.

I admire the training that goes into MMA, but it lacks in total reality of what happens on the street. If you mix it with bouncing, security or SD Karate then its would be more realistic.

Its my personal opinon that stand up fighting is where it should start then try to cover the ranges. My experince is different then 99% of all fights both people end up on the ground. I believe and found that someone does 69% but not both parties. And if it does you should get up as quickly as possible on you back or mounted LONG is a back situation on the street. You can't see what about to kick or hit you!!

Edited by Neko456 (11/21/05 11:35 AM)

#206885 - 11/21/05 11:36 AM Re: Why choose karate? [Re: Neko456]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Wow, only took 4 replies to turn into a MMA vs. TMA thread.(1 reply really, but 4 for another reply to it)

DING!!DING!!DING!!

**We have a NEW WORLD RECORD!!!!**

sigh

#206886 - 11/21/05 12:44 PM Re: Why choose karate? [Re: BrianS]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Honestly, at least in the USA, most people are going to choose whatever is closest and/or cheapest. Few beginners know enough to even ask what the difference is between this style or that.

#206887 - 11/21/05 01:13 PM Re: Why choose karate? [Re: MattJ]
phoenixsflame Offline

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
Really sad. If we want to post MMA/TMA debates, why not do it in a thread not concerned with one or the other? Come on guys, if you want to go tout MMA go do it in the MMA forum. This is the Karate forum. Let the Karate people discuss it.

Now, onto the actualy REASON for the thread.

The reason I went into Karate was because I started at TKD when I was young, young, young. I disliked the looseness of the teaching that was at the Dojo. (Not that all TKD is loosely taught, just that one ) So I generalized and thought all TKD was like that. I then hunted around and found a Karate Dojo with my mother. When they recited the Dojo Kun, kept to Dojo Japanese and were very respectful, I'd found my art.

I enjoy the traditional aspect of any martial art I've practiced, I've done some Chinese Trad and Japanese Trad. I can honestly say I've enjoyed them all and they've taught me something important in my day to day life.

#206888 - 11/21/05 01:17 PM Re: Why choose karate? [Re: MattJ]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

100% agree with Matt.

#206889 - 11/21/05 01:22 PM Re: Why choose karate? [Re: JoelM]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I don't think its a MMA vs.Trad M. I simple respond that the average person does not inspire to be a MMA or UFC competitor.
Especailly after u see how hard you have to train.
Its good vigorous training far more then a 35-40+ yr old need or want having give presentations on the job or a family that need him/her at work. MMA because of the V.T., injuries are more common. I just spoke with a guy that had crack rib from a knee and a black eye from a punch. It happens in Trad MA but not as often once you are good from 3kyu up you can spar hard for months before injuries like that occurs.

One of the down fall of Trad Te is that in sparring you pull too much, but that is why you can go to work bruised but not broken and battered.

So its not vs. anything just hindsight and being real. Can U just mention the pluses and minuses w/o it being better then. He did ask why karate.

Edited by Neko456 (11/21/05 01:24 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga