FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
cxt 1
ergees 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#206841 - 11/24/05 01:08 AM Re: Asian decorations in the home [Re: BuDoc]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
Quote:

There is a joke there somewhere!!!

Maybe Brian can tell us

I find this homely Thread enlightening (not in the zenish sense)

Here I find caucasians wanting to decorate in the 'asian' style, whereas I (an ethnic chinese) have in a small way done my place in a kind of old country western, unsuccessfully I might add and ended up, as Phoenix says, with a country western whorehouse, minus the large red carpetted staircase and the equally large mama.

Maybe too many John Wayne movies.

#206842 - 11/24/05 01:23 AM Re: Asian decorations in the home [Re: ButterflyPalm]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

Don't do it with a partner, you'll only get your balls handed to you.

Unfortunately,that'll never happen now.

Doing it to get layed? HA!!!! no.Just for myself,I've always been intrigued by japanese art and such.

Not going to have too much stuff in there,a bamboo thingy,a couple of pictures like the ones in the link Ed gave. (no stinking dragons though,lol.)
Noone has commented on the swords yet? Two on a stand on the mantle? Anyone? Bad idea?Good?

#206843 - 11/24/05 07:49 AM Re: Asian decorations in the home [Re: BrianS]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Just for myself

You are trying to lay yourself? In that case the Japanese line I gave earlier might not work....suggest to go more coy and subtle. take yourself out to dinner first...don't say 'yes' too much, etc. lol

I think you've got the right idea about not overdoing the decor. on the sword thing...just my feeling, but putting weapons up like that should only be in museums. people hang some pretty weird things on their wall...my Mother used to display PLATES on the wall...lol I hated that because it confused the crap out of my sense of what I though good taste should be. my H.S. friends used to ask...'dude, why are there dinner plates hung up on the wall?' my answer: 'well, if you've ever had my mothers cooking it would make a whole lot more sense to you.' My mother apparently heard me say that, and things started to go dark so I don't really remember the rest of the story or the point I was making...

anyway, my rule...if you use it, don't hang it. another rule: if you don't know HOW to use it, don't even have it in the house.

#206844 - 11/26/05 08:44 PM Re: Asian decorations in the home [Re: Ed_Morris]
funstick5000 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: West Yorkshire, England
i think there are a few things you should keep in mind if you're doing a japanese style decor. couple of things have been mentioned before but here are my opinions (i want to do my bedroom japanese style, probably will do when i change my bed, as its a bit creaky lol).

1) minimalism, don't throw any old crap in for the sake of it.
2) dis-symmetry, look at any japanese art, it will not be symmetrical.
3)off-white,(bits of) black and darkish red are good colours.
4)keep any wood varnished nice and dark. apart from bamboo obviously.

the kanji scrolls or a japanese print don't seem like too bad an idea. just make sure you know exacly whats written on the scrolls though lol, you don't want your new-found japanese girlfriend asking why make love to fish!

I'd put your swords on the mantle, might look a bit naff but your doing it for you not anyone else.

I can't wait when i'm married and buying a house:

'shall we make the spare room into a nursery?'
'nah, weapons room!!'

#206845 - 11/28/05 02:58 AM Re: Asian decorations in the home [Re: funstick5000]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Finally! Someone who addressed the sword on the mantle issue.Thanks funstick! I was thinking of a single display samurai sword on a stand.

Ed,
Who says I don't know how to use it?.....ok,I don't. Don't know how to use my hashi either!

#206846 - 11/28/05 08:21 AM Re: Asian decorations in the home [Re: BrianS]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
(An aside)

I don't want to be a sour prick, but I agree with Ed on the swords. If you are going to have one in your house, especially if it is a live blade, and especially if it is only on a stand (not secured)...you should know how to use it.

It is the first thing an intruder is going to see and pull on you.

(back to topic)

#206847 - 11/28/05 12:08 PM Re: Asian decorations in the home [Re: harlan]
phoenixsflame Offline

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
Quote:

(An aside)

I don't want to be a sour prick, but I agree with Ed on the swords. If you are going to have one in your house, especially if it is a live blade, and especially if it is only on a stand (not secured)...you should know how to use it.

It is the first thing an intruder is going to see and pull on you.

(back to topic)

Unless they brought a gun.

Kidding, Kidding. I don't disagree with putting a sword on display, the mantle doesn't seem like the right place though. As long as you display it *CORRECTLY* ... If you take a picture and I see the edge down, I will find your house and I will kick you in the butt.. Not kick your butt, just a swift kick to the buttox...

#206848 - 11/28/05 05:01 PM Re: Asian decorations in the home [Re: phoenixsflame]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

thats correct. blade up (you'd be surprized how many are displayed blade-down). If you have one of those 3-peice sets that are popular...it goes small on top, large on bottom. Tanto (top tier), Wakizashi (middle tier), then the Katana (lower tier). This is the same order if worn on the left side for a right handed Samurai. blades up so that (if worn) a downward cut can be made when drawing. when displaying, it's blades up to relieve the pressure on the blade.

orientation:
grip to the right means aggressive non-trusting arraingement since you are able to diretly draw with your right hand.
grip to the left is correct for a home.

Usually you would display a sword in scabbard and only out of scabbard (optional) when your nation is at war. maybe that is only in Japan...not sure.

for vertical stands, its grip down and blade in.

Thats all I can tell you...rudamentary stuff. oh and the other thing I know is most display blades are crap and a rip-off.

anyone ever see a 1,000,000 Yen custom made sword? (~$10,000US). I don't know anything about swords...I shouldn't have been allowed to even hold it. like holding a meter-long scalpel...just insane.

#206849 - 11/28/05 10:16 PM Re: Asian decorations in the home [Re: Ed_Morris]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
Quote:

I shouldn't have been allowed to even hold it. like holding a meter-long scalpel...just insane.

Here is a true incident. I was in my late teens and there was a school outing and we ended up in some one's front office and there was an antique looking katana displayed on a side table. Being a MA practitioner, I took an immediate interest. I grabbed the handle intending to pull it out to look at the blade; believe it or not, I felt a sudden chill ran through my body and at the same time, I felt 'strong'; those who know the feeling will know; there was a feeling of 'strength' in my hand. I of course let go and walked away with my hands trembling a little. There was a wicked thought going through my head; I wanted to steal that sword! If I could have put it in my pocket......

#206850 - 11/29/05 12:32 AM Re: Asian decorations in the home [Re: ButterflyPalm]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Quote:

Here I find caucasians wanting to decorate in the 'asian' style, whereas I (an ethnic chinese) have in a small way done my place in a kind of old country western, unsuccessfully

It's kinda hilarious, yes. Caucasians wants "asian" homes while we asians wants, uh, western ones. No matter what I do, my apartment looks exactly like those in New York. Normal furniture bought from "Home Pro" for a cheap price, everything in here is just so damn western, people walk in and ask, you rent this from a "farang"[White-man in Thai].

Me being, well, a cocktail of nationalities [Dominantly Thai but with Spaniard influences] loves donning chinese clothes while at home, and then usually I wear the chinese shirt over my tank-top when walking around. . Kinda like that seraph dude from the Matrix, except I've been doing it a long time before he went "on-air".
It's kinda hilarious.

Anyway, I've tried re-doing my apartmen for a while now, and to be honest, I've sold my sofa, dinner table and chair, re-arranged the room a bit and now I got, well it looks kinda like a blend of Japanese and Bali except I have loads of oil-paintings of Spain, Italy and Sweden on the walls [Forcefully given to me by my father], which I have tried selling but without success.

I wonder, does anyone know how to decorate a balcony? Mine is so dull it's not even funny.

-Taison out

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga