FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
Jeff_G 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#206336 - 11/19/05 02:09 PM Reference Pages?
KLRickett Offline
Stranger

Loc: Kentucky, USA
Hi. This is my first post here, and I hope it's in the right place....

Basically, I'm a third degree brown belt in Shaolin-do under Associate Master Eric Burke. As I only have two days of class per week, I tend to need some extra help, but I can't find the particular kata I need.

Can anyone point me to a written (NOT a video) reference page containing the broadsword kata from the third brown test set? I believe the name of the kata is Je Chan Pa Fang, if that helps any.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this wasn't the right place!

Edited by KLRickett (11/19/05 04:33 PM)

#206337 - 11/19/05 05:27 PM Re: Reference Pages? [Re: KLRickett]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I don't get it...'Je Chan Pa Fang' is in Chinese.
but you refer to it as a 'kata' which is Japanese.

'Shaolin' is Chinese, '-Do' is Japanese...just curious, do you wear Kung-Fu uniforms with an obi?

anyway, I tried searching for you and came up with nada...then again, I've heard shaolin-do forms are very secret and direct from THE temple from thousands of years ago. so I'm not surprized they don't just give all of their deadly moves to everyone on the net for free. plus it may be too dangerous if the moves get out into the wrong hands.

I can imagine what you mean though, you being an advanced rank with only 2 classes a week and you only have about... what, 3 months to learn an entire form in time for the test for your next belt-level. barely enough time to even memorize the sequence, yes? I understand.
In contrast, just so you are aware that there are some other styles out there that do things differently...what some do in Traditional Martial Arts is learn the movements of the kata and do them over an over until they don't need to think about the sequence and can concentrate on technique. after that, they practice some more and try to apply the application of the kata in a self-defense simulation...then practice some more. At this point they might be ready to test or perhaps not. It's not uncommon in TMA places for people to remain in their brown-belt rank for a couple of years or more. Thats why it sounds a bit strange when I hear a brown belt from another style asking for what amounts to Cliff-notes to the sequence of a form.

Since it's your first post, I explained all of this for you free of charge. Welcome to the forum.

also, here's a thread you may find interesting and it's a bit on topic as well:
http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15761633/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga