FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 6
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432478 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#205787 - 11/17/05 10:48 AM Hand Wraps
Lori Offline

I just got my hand wraps last night, and as usual...I'm clueless. I found this site and wondered what method you guys recommend.

http://www.boxinggyms.com/tips/handwraps.htm

I'm anxious to use these ~ my hands are starting to show some wear and tear. Thank you in advance.

#205788 - 11/17/05 11:43 AM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: Lori]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
i do something very similar to method 2. it doesn't really matter which way you do it, just so long as you have it down. there's no shame in practicing at home - in fact i think i learned off the same site!
a couple months ago, i bought grappling gloves and have since used them instead of the wraps. it makes going from bjj class (no shoes, no wraps or gloves) to krav class a lot quicker and easier.

#205789 - 11/17/05 04:21 PM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: Lori]
Tolyn1007 Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area
I don't use hand wraps and haven't for a number of years (for which my fiancee' gives me flak about all the time). The other day one of my students asked me how to wrap the hands and I drew a blank. I felt like a knucklehead. Looking at the website helped jar my memory. I use to use a method similar to #2 as well.

#205790 - 11/18/05 05:04 AM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: Tolyn1007]
sadders Offline

I used to use wraps, now use bag gloves for work on heavy bags only.

I dont tend to like enything that becomes a ritual before training. These things start to build you up into the mindset to fight.

Unfortunately in real life, if trouble comes your way there is no time for ritual etc. The training and preparation must be as close to life as possible IMO.

#205791 - 11/18/05 11:49 AM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: Lori]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania
I used method 2 for a while...takes too long and no matter what I do..it comes loose. I switched to Century bag gloves.. the wrist wrap supports my wrists and they come off quick if I need to hold focus mitts.

#205792 - 11/18/05 11:56 AM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: RangerG]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

It seems like almost everyone in Krav moves to gloves eventually. I wonder who decided why wraps should be the standard - as far as i'm concerned the only real reason to use them is to keep your fingers in one place inside your boxing gloves. Otherwise, yeah - they do always come off especially after wrist grabs, choke releases and all the other friction-causing defenses.

#205793 - 11/18/05 01:22 PM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: ShikataGaNai]
Lori Offline

I'll use anything as long as it protects the skin on my hand. I'm not accustomed to hitting a pad yet, so my skin is wearing away in parts (eew). And every time I go to class, I'm going to reinjure the same area.

Some guys who have been in Level 1 for a bit use wraps. I just may ask about the glove option ~ seems easier.

#205794 - 11/18/05 02:06 PM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: Lori]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

on the subject of getting skinned on bags and pads - does anyone use elbow pads? i seem to draw blood almost everytime i practice elbow strikes.

#205795 - 11/18/05 02:25 PM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: ShikataGaNai]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

So far, I have not had a problem with elbows.. No one in our classes wears elbow pads. I admit that forarm pads would be nice in blocking..

#205796 - 11/18/05 03:59 PM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: RangerG]
meh531 Offline
Stranger

I switched from wraps to these:

http://store.titleboxing.com/progelhan.html

They work well, are quick to put on and take off, and never come undone during class.

You can probably find them cheaper if you do a web search.

#205797 - 11/18/05 04:11 PM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: meh531]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

ok, those are COOL

#205798 - 11/18/05 05:24 PM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: meh531]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

What kind of wrist support do these give...my weakness is my left wrist.

#205799 - 11/19/05 01:10 PM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: meh531]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

OK...I went out and got these today when I picked up my "stiff as a board" heavy gi. I tried one on...and I sorta like it. I will use them on the heavy bag tonight and see if they work for me.

#205800 - 11/19/05 05:53 PM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: RangerG]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

i got some on order - let me know how they turn out

#205801 - 11/19/05 06:30 PM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: ShikataGaNai]
Tolyn1007 Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area
Quote:

i got some on order - let me know how they turn out

Ditto. May not wear them but I'll recommend them if they seem to work well.

#205802 - 11/19/05 07:44 PM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: ShikataGaNai]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

HA! I thought I was going to work out...little did I know how much.... I went by the school to get a T-shirt and ended up helping with the yellow belt testing and then with the level 3 testing....I.am.worn.out... I will go down in a bit and see if I have enough mojo to hit the heavy bag...

#205803 - 11/19/05 08:19 PM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: ShikataGaNai]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

OK...here's the lowdown..

I did not find them more comfortable than the MMA gloves.

The velcro seemed to scratch me no matter which way I positioned the tabs.

While the knuckles were protected..there was no protection out towards the finger joints as the gloves have.

The material and the little velco tab bunch up in an odd way in the palm of the hand.

Some of this gets better with use I suspect..

I did punches, backhands, hammer fists and anything else I could think of...as hard as I could.

Up side was they gave a tiny more support to my left thumb (I am missing a joint and it hurts most of the time). It also gave passable wrist support.

I think I will stick with the Century MMA/Bag gloves. The gel wraps will go in my bag...but as backups or for the GF when we spar at home.

Rating: Two Ranger groin kicks out of four, for the gel wraps

#205804 - 11/20/05 08:05 AM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: Lori]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Lori...I like those pictures for the wraps. For some odd reason I cannot explain...I do not like going in between the fingers...probably why the gel wraps feel weird to me as well. Holding tombstones and focus mitts is difficult with wraps on, this is why I like the MMA/bag mitts...on and off quick.

My wrists are my weak spot.. I do have wrist braces...however I have been looking all over for the Harbringer wrist supports...everyone has the gloves...but not just the velcro closure wrist wraps..

I am looking for the pro ones (black with thumb loop). If any of you see them somewhere...let me know by PM please.

#205805 - 11/23/05 12:55 AM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: RangerG]
Lori Offline

Well, my wraps came undone today. Granted, I'm just learning how to wrap my hands, so user-error is a good possibility. But I can see what a pain it can be. During warm-ups, we had to drag ourselves around using upper body only, and my hands just unraveled.

I think my local Walmart has Century gloves...might go check them out.

#205806 - 11/23/05 01:05 AM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: Lori]
Lori Offline

Has anyone tried these?

#205807 - 11/23/05 09:25 AM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: Lori]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

i had a pair of those when i took jkd. they're alright, but i found them a little uncomfortable and the padding seemed to flatten out alot after a while.

lori - even black belts i know lose their wraps sometimes. they have their purpose but they are by no means easy to work with. if you keep at though, you'll be surprised by how fast you can eventually get those suckers on.

#205808 - 11/23/05 12:20 PM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: Lori]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

Has anyone tried these?

Yep!! That's what I use. They work great for me. The bar in the middle can be a little bit of a pain if you are holding a tombstone...but they do help you make a nice fist

#205809 - 11/23/05 11:05 PM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: RangerG]
Lori Offline

Perhaps I will work with both. I can continue to practice wrapping and keep the gloves in my bag in case I keep unraveling.

Thanks, guys!

#205810 - 11/30/05 03:19 PM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: Lori]
stvb7 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Most of the people at my school have converted over to some form of MMA gloves. I like them b/c they are easy to get on and off quickly for particular drills, they don't fall off, and it doesn't require practice to put them on well. I just take them off for choking drills because my partners don't appreciate the scrapes and chafing they cause and I get a better grip bare-handed anyway.
I've only had mine for 2 months, but I have had no problems with them wearing out yet.

#205811 - 02/18/06 03:35 PM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: Lori]
Rayachick Offline

Loc: Missouri, USA
I haven't tried the gloves yet but i like my wraps. Silly as it sounds. I broke my right wrist a few years ago and the wraps make it easy to add extra protection to that wrist. I also like the "bare-knuckles" feel about it without loosing the skin.

My only issue is finding 120" wraps that don't come in "kid" colors like green, yellow, pink, etc. I hate being small and walking around with pink hand wraps on. I feel it's like saying, "I'm a girly girl and i don't want to break a nail!" Only problem is, pink was the only option at time and it's my least likeable colors in the color wheel. I also need to find a better way of wrapping because the instructors are guys that don't really know how to wrap "little hands". I had it once and can't remember how i did it to save my life. Oh well, keep learning.

#205812 - 02/23/06 10:53 AM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: Lori]
casmor Offline

Loc: Mexico City Mexico
I haven't used exactly those, but my gloves are almost identical, I use TKO gloves, they are just like the ones in the link you posted. For me they work really good, but some of my friends are more comfortable with open finger gloves (UFC style) or gel wraps. I guess you should go to a sporting goods store and try different options, but in my personal experience the gloves in the link are very comfortable and i've never used wraps again since I have the gloves.

#205813 - 03/04/06 09:15 PM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: casmor]
Motorcycle Offline
Stranger

Sorry ahead of time people... I know it's kinda off topic but I need to ask: RangerG, what exactly is your weakness with your wrists? I was wondering if it might be a bit like mine was & if so wanted to get your advice. My weakness is that my wrist muscles are VERY tight. Excellent grip but I have NO real flexibility in my wrists. Chicken wings & such hurt alot. If the weakness isn't the same does anyone else have any ideas for how I could deal with it? Not sure if wraps would help. Thanks.

#205814 - 03/04/06 10:22 PM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: Motorcycle]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Well..I suspect it's the beginning of..*gasp*..Old Age!

After all, they are over 50 years old, and the warranty ran out a while back.

My wrists take a beating with punching, wrist locks and the like...snap, crackle and pop..

#205815 - 03/25/06 11:56 PM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: RangerG]
goofyfoot Offline
Stranger

I'm new to this forum so maybe I'm missing something. I don't understand the references to switching from wraps to gloves. I've always worn my wraps under my training gloves. In fact, I use two sets of wraps per hand. it does make getting my gloves on a chore but I should have gotten the next size up. I kept thinking that I would when these wore out but they never did and now they aren't available anymore. I used to have problems with my wraps getting loose when I wore regular cloth wraps. Then I switched to the slightly elastic Mexican style wraps and they stay fairly tight if I wrap them tight enough to begin with.

#205816 - 03/26/06 06:22 AM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: goofyfoot]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

I suspect you are using wraps for boxing or bag work under either boxing gloves or bag gloves.

In Krav the wraps are worn without gloves of any type. Some of us are using MMA gloves in place of the wraps to save time and because wraps come loose or because it is hard to get your hands into focus mitts etc with them on.

#205817 - 03/26/06 11:52 AM Re: Hand Wraps [Re: RangerG]
goofyfoot Offline
Stranger

Yes, you are right. I use hand wraps for heavy bag work and in the ring, but like you Ranger, I'm getting old so I haven't been in the ring for quite some time. I found this forum by accident while searching for some of those hand wrap replacements (Everlast EverGel Glove Wraps). I didn't notice that this thread was for Krav/Israeli MA, of which I know very little so I am not qualified to speak on the subject. I am curious though. Although I do still believe in wraps and gloves for hand protection, especially when training, I did break my hand in the first round of a match (while properly wrapped) when the guy ducked his head just as I threw a straight left, so I know they aren't a panecea for all injuries. I'm also not sure why you would need to get into focus mitts since, in my experience, only one of the trainers donned the mitts, but again, I am ignorant of Krav training methods. I do understand the problem of the wraps coming loose without gloves on and the Mexican wraps, while better, would probably not completely solve that problem. However, the Everlast EverGel Glove Wraps might. I tried some on at Big 5 and they feel nice. They have two strips which crisscross the back of the hand like regular wraps for support and then those are secured by a wrap around wrist support. The package says they were ment to replace wraps but I coudn't get my gloves on over them (but as I said, my gloves are too small). They appear to be made of washable materials. My only gripe, and the reason for the search, is their yellow/black color.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga