FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (THEFOREVERMAN), 53 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
Marcus Charles 1
TooNice 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432377 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#205529 - 03/26/06 06:26 PM Re: Krav Maga or Kenpo? [Re: BrianS]
amerkarate Offline
Stranger

I was just reading all the post about Krav Maga and Kenpo.
I have a Black Belt in TKD, Currently Own a Kenpo School. I have also have taken Krav Maga. There is a big difference between all them. Kenpo you have many self Defense techniques in the system for any kind of an attack. There are so many principles in Kenpo that you find in Krav Maga.
Krav Maga is for people who just want quick self defense program, Nothing wrong with that. I found a good bit of there material is from Kenpo just with the principles. So if you want to learn an art and self defense go with Kenpo it is the Ultimate in Self Defense.
If you want a quick self defense program go with Kav Maga.
Plus all this also has a lot to do with the instructor.
Speaking of instructors I believe Krav Maga instructors get trained in like a few weeks,
Kenpo instructors take many years. So who would u trust?

#205530 - 03/27/06 09:31 AM Re: Krav Maga or Kenpo? [Re: amerkarate]
Dedicated1 Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Have you ever seen a Krav Maga Instructor Certification Test? The other thing is anybody can open a Martial Arts School, you don't need special licenses or certifications. So who would you trust? Someone who has been through seven days of hell, and been certified by the top instructors in the Country, or the guy that decided to just open a school? Unless you have gone through the training and the testing, think before you decided to post.

#205531 - 03/27/06 10:26 AM Re: Krav Maga or Kenpo? [Re: Dedicated1]
stvb7 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I think that a lot of people misunderstand the certification process with Krav. It is not that instructors go to LA for a week to learn how to teach Krav. People who want to teach spend a long period of time (months/years) learning the skills at their home gym. When they are ready, they go to LA for a grueling week to PROVE that they know what they are doing (which is a VERY long test in my opinion!).
I'm not sure how other arts do it, but I always pictured someone being promoted at their home gym, and then teaching there. With Krav, that is not the case. I prefer Krav's methods because it means that all instructors have been certified as having achieved a certain level of proficiency, and it is the same for all instructors across the country.

#205532 - 03/27/06 05:10 PM Re: Krav Maga or Kenpo? [Re: stvb7]
Dedicated1 Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
I agree, I wasn't trying to go off topic but the one post rubbed me the wrong way. The whole " Who would you trust?" thing. Thanks for backing me up.

#205533 - 03/27/06 07:26 PM Re: Krav Maga or Kenpo? [Re: Dedicated1]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania
Anyone who would make the comment that a Krav Instructor has "only a few hours", has never seen a Krav Instructors Exam, nor known the hours..even years some of these folks put in before they test.

I have your back on this one too...I was there.

#205534 - 03/27/06 08:21 PM Re: Krav Maga or Kenpo? [Re: amerkarate]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Yep. I'm with you guys,but teaching takes a whole lot more than fighting skill or knowledge.

Quote:

Krav Maga is for people who just want quick self defense program,

I used to be under this impression until I saw people like RangerG who have been "dedicated" for years. Evidentally it's not a quick fix,it just leaves out the art aspect.

Quote:

Kenpo it is the Ultimate in Self Defense.

Oh boy.

#205535 - 03/28/06 07:30 AM Re: Krav Maga or Kenpo? [Re: BrianS]
Ivanhoe Offline

Loc: N.Z.
Try both of them. See what style best suits you at the stage you are at. We all have our opinions on what is best.

#205536 - 03/28/06 03:59 PM Re: Krav Maga or Kenpo? [Re: Ivanhoe]
PSYOPS Offline

Wow!

A person off the street will never be allowed to simply walk in to Krav L.A. and take an instructor certification course. All three phases are brutal. That's right ladies and gentlemen there are three phases all a week long each with a six to eight hour brutal exam at the end of the week. Understand this people a licensed Krav Maga instructor earned that rank! In the Krav system a fully certified instructor out ranks Belt levels. He/she is certified to teach concepts and aspects of Krav. A black belt who is not a certified instructor can't teach the system!

I don't know how many other Krav Instructors on this site have completed all three phases, but I have and I am telling you that it is not easy.

One last thing,

The fact that Kenpo takes "years to study" only illustrates the primary difference between Krav Maga and most systems. Most people don't have the time to "dedicate years" to studying. They don't have time to snatch the pebble from the masters palm. This is why Krav Maga was created. No Gi's, no meditating, no contemplating the nonthingness of being. NO! Eliminate the threat, ATTACK THE SOURCE!

#205537 - 03/29/06 05:45 AM Re: Krav Maga or Kenpo? [Re: PSYOPS]
Ivanhoe Offline

Loc: N.Z.
sqtrainer has a life long interest in MA. Perhaps he will prefer the longer journey. I'm sure Krav is highly effective. I like the idea of having to produce the goods. Not every black belt can fight or teach well as the abilities of a black belt are variable. Did Bruce Lee say that a person who did a year of wrestling and a year of western boxing would beat a MA who had trained for 10 years in one style? I know that was a generalisation as he was making a point. Can anyone refresh my memory on this?

#205538 - 03/29/06 06:05 AM Re: Krav Maga or Kenpo? [Re: Ivanhoe]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
I believe Bruce did say that,but it was way generalized too(as you said). It all depends on the bla bla bla...

I'm sure you can have a lifelong interest in Krav too..?

Not everyone wants the fast approach to self defense,some martial artist don't train for self defense at all.

I enjoy doing kata,I don't know many knife,gun,or grenade disarms,I like to wear my gi,and I enjoy the art/history of goju. If any of these interest you Krav might not be right for you.

I've seen Krav demo's and the principles are there that are in many other ma.

In my particular school we'll spend a good 3-4 months showing you the basics(stances,strikes,kicks,etc).I think Krav gets right to the point. However,I firmly believe that a good foundation should be poured before getting into the 'nitty gritty',it makes for better technique in the long run.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga