FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#205218 - 11/16/05 08:25 AM boxing
TwistingKick Offline

Loc: UK (oxford)
This may have been asked b4 but how about a boxing forum, there seems to be a high demand for it and also thai boxing and kickboxing can be incorporated. Just a suggestion

#205219 - 11/16/05 12:10 PM Re: boxing [Re: TwistingKick]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
naw.

#205220 - 11/16/05 01:32 PM Re: boxing [Re: TwistingKick]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
I would think boxing and kickboxing would fall under the BJJ/MMA section. No need for their own section.

#205221 - 11/17/05 04:41 PM Re: boxing [Re: laf7773]
boxing_kid Offline

i think a boxing/kickboxing forum would be good too, BJJ/MMA doesn't seem specific enough, i think boxing deserves its own forum too, but obviously it won't happen because you guys don't seem too open for suggestions

TwistingKick: Just a suggestion
BrianS: naw.

#205222 - 11/17/05 10:26 PM Re: boxing [Re: boxing_kid]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
We're open to suggestions, we're just closed to actually doing anything.

kidding...or am I?

#205223 - 11/18/05 06:22 AM Re: boxing [Re: laf7773]
Belnick Offline
Veteran

Loc: SWEDEN
Quote:

I would think boxing and kickboxing would fall under the BJJ/MMA section. No need for their own section.

yea you are right, they rule in mma

lie down like a dead fish wondering what todo

cant see how ONLY standup fighting can go under bjj/mma

#205224 - 11/18/05 10:05 AM Re: boxing [Re: Belnick]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Maybe because the majority of the guys i know who train MMA study BJJ and boxing or kickboxing. Every gym i've seen that offers training comes in the form of boxing, BJJ, kickboxing and/or Muay Thai. Hence the term mixed martial arts. Your sarcasm is noted, as is your ignorance.

Every art/system doesn't need it's own section.

#205225 - 11/18/05 12:05 PM Re: boxing [Re: laf7773]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
To add to what Laf said, many MMA fighters use boxing hand techniques, so most of the need for a boxing forum can be covered under the MMA banner.

Twistingkick -
Is there a specific need or subject in boxing that you feel requires it's own forum?

#205226 - 11/19/05 12:57 PM Re: boxing [Re: boxing_kid]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania
Quote:

obviously it won't happen because you guys don't seem too open for suggestions

We are very open to suggestions. The problem is that there are only a small number of moderators, with a large number of forums to oversee.

I have found Fighting Arts to be receptive enough to include defense arts/systems, when other sites declined to include "non-traditional" forms.

There is no harm or dishonor in discussing Boxing or Kick Boxing in the MMA forum. I respectfuly submit that others that frequent the MMA forum would be interested in your Boxing opinions and experiences.

The only things we tend not to be receptive of is arrogance, disrespect of other forms and obvious trolling.

#205227 - 11/19/05 07:07 PM Re: boxing [Re: RangerG]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

The only things we tend not to be receptive of is arrogance, disrespect of other forms and obvious trolling.

And smelly feet, we don't like smelly feet.

#205228 - 11/19/05 07:53 PM Re: boxing [Re: JoelM]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania
Like this... *Ranger holds foot under JoelM's nose*

#205229 - 11/22/05 06:27 AM Re: boxing [Re: laf7773]
Belnick Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Maybe because the majority of the guys i know who train MMA study BJJ and boxing or kickboxing. Every gym i've seen that offers training comes in the form of boxing, BJJ, kickboxing and/or Muay Thai. Hence the term mixed martial arts. Your sarcasm is noted, as is your ignorance.

Every art/system doesn't need it's own section.

typical US arrogance....

every country is NOT doing the same as US

boxing schools here are boxing schools, if u want more you have to to go a mma school...

#205230 - 11/22/05 06:44 AM Re: boxing [Re: Belnick]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

US arrogance? It's not our fault we're smarter than you.

Big crybaby.

#205231 - 11/22/05 08:35 AM Re: boxing [Re: BrianS]
Belnick Offline
Veteran

Quote:

US arrogance? It's not our fault we're smarter than you.

Big crybaby.

yea indeed, but atleast our king can open a door, your president seems a bit off

#205232 - 11/22/05 10:24 AM Re: boxing [Re: Belnick]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Belnick, political discussion is not allowed here, neither is insulting others based on your misguided prejudices of other countries. You have been given flood control before, it can happen again, or worse.

I would hate to see it happen because of a thread in the Site Suggestions Forum.

Now stop insulting and arguing for the sake of it. That is not a suggestion.

#205233 - 11/23/05 12:50 AM Re: boxing [Re: Belnick]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Typical Belnick ignorance. Just so you know the US isn't the only country i've seen. Still doesn't change the fact that boxing for many is one of the focal points of MMA. Think before posting next time.

#205234 - 11/23/05 02:52 PM Re: boxing [Re: laf7773]
SPEEDdemon Offline
Stranger

I would love a boxing forum

#205235 - 11/23/05 08:00 PM Re: boxing [Re: SPEEDdemon]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

I would love a boxing forum

Until one is made, feel free to use the Martial Arts Talk or MMA Forums.

Thank you.

#205236 - 11/26/05 11:07 PM Re: boxing [Re: JoelM]
speedBoxer Offline
Stranger

I gotta go! BYE!!

Edited by MattJ (02/20/06 05:24 PM)

#205237 - 11/27/05 12:45 AM Re: boxing [Re: speedBoxer]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Do not do that here. Unless you have something constructive, just shut the hell up.

#205238 - 11/27/05 12:25 PM Re: boxing [Re: speedBoxer]
NEAS Offline
Banned Member

Very interesting knowing what stimulates you but isnt this about martial arts? Dont think i ever saw that movement in any katas but rest assured i will try to look out for it the next time i watch people train.Come to think about it all the boxers I know dont have your problem.

Edited by MattJ (02/20/06 05:24 PM)

#205239 - 11/28/05 08:34 PM Re: boxing [Re: TwistingKick]
Leapordsknowbest Offline

Loc: Nashville,Tenneessee
I don't think there should be one cuz of 2 reasons. 1 has already be said and 2 it wont get much atention. There ALOT or forms on her that don't get many post.

#205240 - 12/18/05 05:07 AM Re: boxing [Re: Leapordsknowbest]
spartanwarlord Offline

Loc: Australia
I find the lack of a muay thai kickboxing thread very dissrepectful, especially the comments of the moderators classying boxing, kickboxing etc into mma. Also, it seems that you dont like boxing or kickboxing because they aren't "tma".

Well guess what. Boxing is older than any of the other martial arts listed in the forum sections. Muay Thai is one of the oldest martial arts aswell.

Kickboxing and boxing are not MMA. Thats like saying taekwondo and wing chun are the same. They are completly different.

Edited by spartanwarlord (12/18/05 05:08 AM)

#205241 - 12/18/05 11:27 AM Re: boxing [Re: spartanwarlord]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

I find the lack of a muay thai kickboxing thread very dissrepectful, especially the comments of the moderators classying boxing, kickboxing etc into mma. Also, it seems that you dont like boxing or kickboxing because they aren't "tma".

*swaps Spartan's regular coffee for decaf*

Disrespectful? Ok, sit sown, please. None of the mods here are "disrespecting" boxing or MT. Several of us have had some boxing or kickboxing training, BTW. You may want to read up a bit before you start making statements regarding what you THINK you know about us.

Still haven't really heard any compelling reasons to create a seperate forum for boxing, when IN FACT modern MT and kickboxing and MMA all use western boxing hand techniques.

Kickboxing and MT comprise the stand-up portion of most MMA fighting repetoires - which we have a forum for. So, unless there you have a really good reason, I don't see the need for one - yet.

Have any of you that want the boxing /kickboxing/MT forums ever tried posted anything on the MMA forum?

#205242 - 12/18/05 02:56 PM Re: boxing [Re: spartanwarlord]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

I find the lack of a muay thai kickboxing thread very dissrepectful,

How exactly is it disrespectful? We don't have a systema, ninjutsu, kyudo or pankration section either. Does that mean we don't like those systems? No, it means we don't have a large enough demand for them.

Quote:

especially the comments of the moderators classying boxing, kickboxing etc into mma.

How is that disrespectful? You do realize that MMAs aren't a specific set of arts right? You do realize that MMAs are more of a principle? It's a training philosophy to study and use the most practical applications from various arts in order to be a more rounded fighter. Many of which encompass boxing, kickboxing, muay thai and some variation of jujutsu. Try actually reading people posts and stop putting words in others mouths with out knowing what you’re talking about.

Quote:

Also, it seems that you dont like boxing or kickboxing because they aren't "tma".

Like MattJ said, do a little reading before you start making assumptions. This just may be the most ridiculous thing you said in this post.

Quote:

Well guess what. Boxing is older than any of the other martial arts listed in the forum sections. Muay Thai is one of the oldest martial arts aswell.

I think it's been established that the age of an art doesn't always mean it's more effective. But for the sake of argument, what does the age of boxing and muay thai have to do with having their own section?

Quote:

Kickboxing and boxing are not MMA. Thats like saying taekwondo and wing chun are the same. They are completly different.

I was wrong, this is the most ridiculous thing you have said this post. But you are right, boxing and kickboxing aren't MMA. They are however common practice in MMA and therefore discussions based on boxing, kickboxing and muay thai would fit perfectly well in the MMA section.

I don't know how old you are but you need to grow up and stop throwing tantrums about petty stuff like this. If you insist that you MUST have a separate boxing section here you go. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=boxing+forum

Problem solved.

#205243 - 12/18/05 05:17 PM Re: boxing [Re: laf7773]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Surely boxing in its modern form (Marquis of Queensberry)is only about 150 years old at most (as before this it included grappling and all-sorts). Jujitsu is older than this as are many sword arts.

http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/q-rules.htm

http://www.hickoksports.com/history/boxing01.shtml

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#205244 - 12/18/05 11:17 PM Re: boxing [Re: laf7773]
spartanwarlord Offline

Quote:

Quote:

I find the lack of a muay thai kickboxing thread very dissrepectful,

How exactly is it disrespectful? We don't have a systema, ninjutsu, kyudo or pankration section either. Does that mean we don't like those systems? No, it means we don't have a large enough demand for them.

Quote:

especially the comments of the moderators classying boxing, kickboxing etc into mma.

How is that disrespectful? You do realize that MMAs aren't a specific set of arts right? You do realize that MMAs are more of a principle? It's a training philosophy to study and use the most practical applications from various arts in order to be a more rounded fighter. Many of which encompass boxing, kickboxing, muay thai and some variation of jujutsu. Try actually reading people posts and stop putting words in others mouths with out knowing what you’re talking about.

Quote:

Also, it seems that you dont like boxing or kickboxing because they aren't "tma".

Like MattJ said, do a little reading before you start making assumptions. This just may be the most ridiculous thing you said in this post.

Quote:

I think it's been established that the age of an art doesn't always mean it's more effective. But for the sake of argument, what does the age of boxing and muay thai have to do with having their own section?

Quote:

I was wrong, this is the most ridiculous thing you have said this post. But you are right, boxing and kickboxing aren't MMA. They are however common practice in MMA and therefore discussions based on boxing, kickboxing and muay thai would fit perfectly well in the MMA section.

I don't know how old you are but you need to grow up and stop throwing tantrums about petty stuff like this. If you insist that you MUST have a separate boxing section here you go. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=boxing+forum

Problem solved.

Spartan changed lafs decaf for wiskey

I appologise for my rant, im quiting smoking at the moment so Im abit edgy and felt the need to vent.

I personally dont see boxing or kickbxoing as just an element for mma, but if you dont want a forum, then non of my business.

#205245 - 12/19/05 02:34 AM Re: boxing [Re: spartanwarlord]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

No one said boxing was "just and element" of MMA but it is common in MMA. Since we have a MMA section and don't have many members who have voice a desire for an exclusive boxing section there isn't a need for one. Would you really want a boxing section knowing you may be the only one there? It kind of defeats the purpose.

No one is trying to down play boxing or kickboxing. Only stating that since they are commonly practiced in MMA that the MMA section would make more sense for discussion than creating another new section.

#205246 - 12/19/05 04:48 AM Re: boxing [Re: spartanwarlord]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Maybe we could open up a forum for whiny crybaby noobs and you could be the focus of conversation.

Seriously,thanks for the history lesson,personality checks,and contributions you have given us over the last few hours you have been here ,dork.

#205247 - 12/19/05 05:15 AM Re: boxing [Re: BrianS]
spartanwarlord Offline

Woah, settle down.

I thought mods jobs were to stop people flaming.

I know your probably belittled everday of your life. Hence why you need to personally attack people on the internet. Wow your a big man.

ps. If you feel the need to ban me for this post, so be it. I dont take personal attacks by anyone. Especially "bad asses" with inferiority complexes on the internet.

pps. Thanks for the post Laf. I see where you are coming from.

Edited by MattJ (02/20/06 05:27 PM)

#205248 - 12/19/05 05:20 AM Re: boxing [Re: BrianS]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Got to admit Brian, I thought that was a bit... 'strong' of you, old chap.

#205249 - 12/19/05 06:44 AM Re: boxing [Re: spartanwarlord]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Well crap! I said I wouldn't do that anymore too,lol!!
I don't feel I deserved the ORAL rebuttel though.

My apologies to everyone.

Edited by BrianS (12/19/05 06:48 AM)

#205250 - 12/19/05 07:30 AM Re: boxing [Re: BrianS]
spartanwarlord Offline

Quote:

Well crap! I said I wouldn't do that anymore too,lol!!
I don't feel I deserved the ORAL rebuttel though.

My apologies to everyone.

lol. I should apologise to you mate. Quiting smoking sucks..

#205251 - 12/19/05 10:31 AM Re: boxing [Re: spartanwarlord]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

spartan- I strongly suggest that you do not display that type of language here again. Others have been banned on the first occasion for such language. You are either lucky or the admins aren't awake yet. Try being the bigger man next time as opposed to being the bigger ass.

Brian- Come on , man.

#205252 - 12/19/05 11:39 PM Re: boxing [Re: JoelM]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

spartan,

No problem. Not every day is a good day on my end either.

#205253 - 12/20/05 03:17 AM Re: boxing [Re: BrianS]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Ahhh, this is so sweet... is it possible to have a virtual hug, or is that too californian? (or don't us tough MAists do that)

#205254 - 12/20/05 09:22 PM Re: boxing [Re: spartanwarlord]
Leapordsknowbest Offline

Loc: Nashville,Tenneessee
so..... it looks like this dicussion is close?

#205255 - 12/20/05 10:46 PM Re: boxing [Re: Leapordsknowbest]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Close, but no cigar.

#205256 - 12/20/05 11:39 PM Re: boxing [Re: JoelM]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Quote:

spartan- I strongly suggest that you do not display that type of language here again. Others have been banned on the first occasion for such language. You are either lucky or the admins aren't awake yet. Try being the bigger man next time as opposed to being the bigger ass.

Brian- Come on , man.

har har!! Joel called me an ass.

#205257 - 12/25/05 01:34 PM Re: boxing [Re: BrianS]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

I have just finished my Christmas dinner, so I am feeling merry. Joy to all and happy holidays!

You could have a difficult task on your hands if you try and find a bigger boxing enthusiast than I on the FA forums.

The FA forums are a great and good thing and personally, I like the status quo.
I get to talk to people from other martial arts when they ask about boxing on specific forums, such as the karate forum or Tae Kwon Do forum. These are folk with a different background than my own who I can possibly help. It gives me great pleasure.

There was recently a very good post about Tyson vs. McBride on the MA talk forum. If someone has a question to ask about boxing, they should just post it in a suitable place. Life is too short to wait for a specific forum. Almost certain I will respond to it if you do!

As it is the season etc etc..., I am going to post a boxing topic on the MA Talk forum now. Hopefully will sate the pugilistic-lust that has been expressed here. And if that doesn't, a cold shower should do the trick.

#205258 - 12/27/05 07:34 AM Re: boxing [Re: Prizewriter]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

To all who are interested in boxing (and indeed, to all those who are not), I have posted in the BJJ/MMA forum as well. Go along and let me know what you think.

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...db#Post15815775

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga