FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#204937 - 01/29/06 08:04 PM Re: if interested in Iron Palm [Re: Lucid Warrior]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
Quote:

Without disagreeing in the least, I'd like to ask if you could elaborate a little on this statement:

"Zhan Zhuang can have potentially negative side effects if not trained properly"

Boy, there really isn't any short answer to this, so here goes!!
Nenipp, from what I have gathered, you seem to have a good knowledge and a reliable education on what you do as far as helping others with their posture. If posture is all you are working on, then the negative side effects are lessened. Zhan zhuang when practiced properly has many different components that are being trained, not just posture.
Proper zhan zhuang training should incorperate the training of proper body structure, proper intent/mind, and proper breathing/emotions.
It is best to start at the structural level. Refining the posture of the body till it is at its strongest structural alignment while in a state of relaxation. The more you relax the more you shold be able to listen with your mind and feel when some part of the body is out of whack because there will be muscular tension in the area that is 'holding on'. If you ignore this 'holding' sensation and don't make the micro adjustments required to let go of the hold then you may be in fact pulling your body out of proper alignment. If you have someone who knows what the proper structure is to guide you, and you have the patience to relax and listen to your body then negative side effects on the physical level may be omited.
Then there is the breathing, mental, emotional, and at the high levels, spiritual components of proper zhan zhuang traning. The mind must be as relaxed as the body, yet the mind must still stay alive and aware. This has been one of the most difficult parts in standing practice for me. It is difficult to maitain the proper mental and emotonal state while breathing and maintaing the proper structural alignment. It is during this traing that the frustration of trying to do things right actualy leads to negative side effects.
What really drives me nuts is to take the same concepts of training in zhan zhuang and add movement! IMHO, this is what makes the IMA's a very high level practice.
What you train and how you train it will dictate the side effects good or bad.
I sincerely hope that this cleared the air somewhat.

#204938 - 01/29/06 11:10 PM Re: if interested in Iron Palm [Re: Lucid Warrior]
RyuuJitsu Offline

Loc: every where and no where
quote:Energy dispersion is when your strength disperses to the limbs and becomes external strength, while internal strength becomes emptied.

this is a very good thing ( in my eyes of course ) it is the process of your body ( or mind dont know ) making jing.

this below is by josh skinner just to let y'all know.
Developing your Qi is the foundation of strength with no real focus (it can make you a bit stronger and a lot healthier but not much else) and jing training takes that strength, refines it, and gives it a focus.

Edited by RyuuJitsu (01/29/06 11:14 PM)

#204939 - 01/30/06 12:32 AM Re: if interested in Iron Palm [Re: RyuuJitsu]
Lucid Warrior Offline

Loc: TwinCities, MN, U.S.
Quote:

quote:Energy dispersion is when your strength disperses to the limbs and becomes external strength, while internal strength becomes emptied.

this is a very good thing ( in my eyes of course ) it is the process of your body ( or mind dont know ) making jing.

this below is by josh skinner just to let y'all know.
Developing your Qi is the foundation of strength with no real focus (it can make you a bit stronger and a lot healthier but not much else) and jing training takes that strength, refines it, and gives it a focus.

How many years have you been training and studying this?

#204940 - 01/30/06 02:55 PM Re: if interested in Iron Palm [Re: Fisherman]
nenipp Offline
Veteran

Thank you fisherman, yes it cleared thing nicely.
Your post didn't surprise me at all, which is good; if it had, I might have needed to worry!

The guidance I can give is in a way deeper than my formal education allows, due to my qigong, ma and psychomotor therapy background, but I have no ima competence.
If any potential danger is involved, that I might have overlooked or just been ignorant of, it's important that I educate myself.

Your words are however compatible with my experiance and I believe that I can in fact offer the guidance that you declare necessary as far as posture, breathing and relaxed movement goes; intention and emotion involved in ima is another matter of course, but I don't deal out any of that so I needn't worry about it...

...thank's again!

#204941 - 02/02/06 12:28 AM Re: if interested in Iron Palm [Re: Lucid Warrior]
RockHard Huy Offline

Quote:

Excessive Yang, (overheated head, burnout),

After a period of excessive Yang, would an equally long period of Yin follow in order to counterbalance the effects?

#204942 - 02/02/06 08:35 AM Re: if interested in Iron Palm [Re: RockHard Huy]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Good question.
I would say yes. Once you have balanced out you are better off not have periods of excess. It is better to seek balance at all times. Practicing excessive yang or yin tendencies will have different side effects for each. I you can work on maintaining balance in your practice you can acheive the maximum health benefit.
IMA's are in a major way concerned with health. If you are recieving ill effects from your training then what is the point?
Maybe someone with more insight on the traditional chinese medicine standpoint can chime in here?

#204943 - 02/07/06 07:05 PM Re: if interested in Iron Palm [Re: Fisherman]
RyuuJitsu Offline

Loc: every where and no where
well i just found this out about a month ago but the guy i quoted i think has had more experince.

#204944 - 02/19/06 04:24 PM Re: if interested in Iron Palm [Re: RyuuJitsu]
Lucid Warrior Offline

Loc: TwinCities, MN, U.S.
How long have you been studying Qigong or whatever it is you are doing RyuuJitsu? That is what I was wondering, not how long you have been researching jing.

I may be mistaken about this, but I think that Jing training would be a little premature until you have some backround in basic qigong, physical structure (tendon/fascia) and opened energy channels.

I really would appreciate it if someone else would comment more on this, because I am sort of in over my head.

The main thing I am trying to get across is that Fisherman is not wrong in suggesting that you get a teacher, and there are so many reasons why. When I mentioned 'energy dispersion' I was mainly referring to the energy system involved in tendon changing training and other qigongs involving the physical structure. Jing training (as I understand it) will not take you very far without first learning the basics. With a teacher, there would be no confusion. That is why Fisherman has told you to get one. All of this is sort of hypocrisy from me because I am now in between teachers, but regardless of my folly, Fisherman is still not wrong.

Steve

#204945 - 02/19/06 05:48 PM Re: if interested in Iron Palm [Re: Lucid Warrior]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Hey lucid - thanks for the support!

Just because the good ol' horse needs a few extra whacks!

In order to properly train jing you must first aquire a strong foundation. If you do not have a strong foundation you will not be able to issue jing. You must first learn the basics of structure, of breathing, and the use of the mind/intent. If you do not have someone to actually show you these things then you will not be able to effectively issue jing.
I think that it is simple to see be not so simple to do.
Sturcture and relaxation come first, then comes intent and movement. A lot of people don't even realize that you cannot generate full power unless you have the proper structure to transmit that power through! This is why structure comes first. There is power in structure. The is more power when the structure is in motion. It is learning to issue paticular power through the structure that jing is concerned with.
Teachers sure do help to point that stuff out though..

#204946 - 05/20/06 02:35 AM Re: if interested in Iron Palm [Re: sifu]
peter586 Offline

how could you call your self sifu your a loser mate. somone needs to bash you.so you ordered your self a master kit and trained a bit doesent make you master.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga