FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
cxt 3
ergees 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#204927 - 01/24/06 10:21 PM Re: if interested in Iron Palm [Re: phoenixsflame]
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
Quote:

Your Cast Iron Fist is nothing in comparison to my Carbon Steel Knife Hand.... Though, my Steel Pot Belly needs work...

I think you all must have Wooden Heads.
In fact I'm sure of it.

Dont tease the newbies too much though, we can do this in more subtle + painful [er, "fun"] ways...

#204928 - 01/26/06 10:21 PM Re: if interested in Iron Palm [Re: Reiki]
RyuuJitsu Offline

Loc: every where and no where
you can develop your energy ( chi ) by bascily doing almost anytype of internal arts. the main ones are taijiquan, xingyiquan,and baguazhang ( id recommand a teacher if your going to train in these arts ). right now im developing my chi by doing zhan zhuang ( stationary or static qigong which you dont need a teacher for ) and simple qigong exercises.

#204929 - 01/27/06 06:03 PM Re: if interested in Iron Palm [Re: RyuuJitsu]
Kosh Offline

Loc: Novo mesto, Slovenia
It seems strange to me that this is coming from me, but I have to say I disagree somewhat.
You can learn a lot of things without a teacher, but if you learn them correctly is another question. If you have no teacher, some things are "easy" to learn and some things are extremly hard.

I think Zhan Zhuang isn`t exactly easy. You can never be 100% sure that you`re doing it correctly, unless a teacher checks you out. A good thing about Zhan Zhuang though, is that it doesn`t have bad side effects if you do it incorrectly. Or does it?

Edited by Kosh (01/27/06 06:04 PM)

#204930 - 01/27/06 10:57 PM Re: if interested in Iron Palm [Re: Kosh]
RyuuJitsu Offline

Quote:

It seems strange to me that this is coming from me, but I have to say I disagree somewhat.
You can learn a lot of things without a teacher, but if you learn them correctly is another question. If you have no teacher, some things are "easy" to learn and some things are extremly hard.

i agree with that greatly.

Quote:

I think Zhan Zhuang isn`t exactly easy. You can never be 100% sure that you`re doing it correctly, unless a teacher checks you out.

in a way i dont really agree with this one because when i do zhan zhuang i have a large mirror to look at if my posture feels like its not right. in the other way i agree that you might need a teacher to see if your posture is right because some people might not have a large mirror to check there posture in. but i would also rather have a friend to check my posture because for a teacher to check it would equal money when thats the only thing you needed help on. i also think thats probably the hardest part about zhan zhuang is to keep your posture prefect during it, so i dont really thinks its worth the time and money when you can get a friend to check it for free unless hes greedy.lol.

#204931 - 01/28/06 11:33 AM Re: if interested in Iron Palm [Re: RyuuJitsu]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
How does your friend know what the correct posture is?
There is a lot more to proper standing than what you see on the outside. The outside is where Zhan Zhuang begins, it is from there that the practiotioner relaxes more and more and learns to 'listen' to their body and thus bring the practice to a more internal level.
As an internal method of training, Zhan Zhuang has many different areas of focus that must be combined. The structure, the mind, and the emotions.
Is your body in a state where a teacher or partner can physicaly apply pressure without the engaement of the musculature?
Is your mind in a state of rest?
Where are your emotions?
These are the main areas one needs to focs on when standing.
Keep in mind that standing is not only a useful tool as far as training internal power. It is also a way of meditating.

I suppose that I will always stand in disagreement that a teacher is not needed to check your Zhan Zhuang. The teacher is there because they know more than you on a particular subject and you are there to learn. Not to mention that the teacher can point out micro adjustments that need to be made to insure you are practicing correctly. Even though it seems simple to do, Zhan Zhuang can have potentially negative side effects if not trained properly, this is why a teacher is necessary. The teacher can also lead you to more rapid progress than you might be able to achieve on your own.
Have the teachers help when it is available and use the teachers teachings on your own when they are not available, this is the way to make progress in the IMA's. Get a teacher and train your butt off!

Kind regards,

Chris

#204932 - 01/28/06 04:43 PM Re: if interested in Iron Palm [Re: Fisherman]
RyuuJitsu Offline

good point

#204933 - 01/29/06 03:55 AM Re: if interested in Iron Palm [Re: Fisherman]
nenipp Offline
Veteran

Hi, fisherman.

Without disagreeing in the least, I'd like to ask if you could elaborate a little on this statement:

"Zhan Zhuang can have potentially negative side effects if not trained properly"

as my occupation puts me in a position where I'm (among many other things of course) trying to help people with their posture, it could be important for me to know of any such potential danger!

Thank's

#204934 - 01/29/06 12:36 PM Re: if interested in Iron Palm [Re: nenipp]
Lucid Warrior Offline

Loc: TwinCities, MN, U.S.
Quote:

Hi, fisherman.

Without disagreeing in the least, I'd like to ask if you could elaborate a little on this statement:

"Zhan Zhuang can have potentially negative side effects if not trained properly"

as my occupation puts me in a position where I'm (among many other things of course) trying to help people with their posture, it could be important for me to know of any such potential danger!

Thank's

some posibilities- Heartburn, 'Energy dispersion' Excessive Yin, (weakness, sickness) Excessive Yang, (overheated head, burnout), OVER-abundant sexual desire, insomnia......

#204935 - 01/29/06 05:08 PM Re: if interested in Iron Palm [Re: Lucid Warrior]
RyuuJitsu Offline

what is a energy dispersion and a burn out? and the having the over-abundant sexual disire is a weird one.

#204936 - 01/29/06 05:49 PM Re: if interested in Iron Palm [Re: RyuuJitsu]
Lucid Warrior Offline

Loc: TwinCities, MN, U.S.
From someone who is by NO means an expert (me) ...

Energy dispersion is when your strength disperses to the limbs and becomes external strength, while internal strength becomes emptied.

Burnout, as I understand it, is similar to what weightlifters call overtraining, except it can be worse with qigong because the central nervous system may be affected more.

The overabundance of sexual desire is probably something you wont need to worry about, but when chi and vitality increases, so does 'sexual energy' and what is considered 'original chi'. The increase in 'sexual energy' is not a bad thing, but not every practicioner is used to it and can get a little lost in their sexual desires if a firm foundation is not set in place first.

Fisherman can give you a more experienced account for what can go wrong since he has more years practice than I.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to scare you off, just be careful and mindful of what you are doing, and know that Fisherman is an experienced veteran in the IMAs and that he gives good advice.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga