FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#204805 - 11/15/05 03:20 PM Original Wado?
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

I am interested in taking up Wado Ryu, as this is the most prevalent style in the area. There are several different schools that I can attend, and I have actually been to a few classes with different dojos.

There remains one class that I have not presently attended; yet I intend to do this soon. I e-mailed the Sensei of the class. He explained that they taught original style of Wado, as Ohtsuka had developed it. He said they included all of Ohtsuka sword and knife techniques in their training of Wado Ryu Karate.

I was wondering, is there anyone who can tell me more about this? I am aware that some karate styles train with weapons, and that of course Ohtsuka was well versed in the art of ju jutsu. But is it correct that sword and knife training were part of original Wado Ryu (as the Sensei implied in his e-mail)?

I have tried to research this, but have not found much to confirm/deny this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And please excuse any ignorance in the above post; my knowledge of Karate is light. Thanks to all who read this post.

#204806 - 11/15/05 08:26 PM Re: Original Wado? [Re: Prizewriter]
NEAS Offline
Banned Member

Hi .To the best of my knowledge and looking at Suzuki s early book on Wado they did a lot of sword and knife defence.I first started training in Wado 30 odd years ago and it was as per Suzuki s book but im not sure if they did knife and sword training.
http://www.wadoworld.com/articles/iwasaki/iwasaki.html
http://www.wadoworld.com/articles/iwasaki/iwasaki.html
I would suggest if you perhaps read these interviews?

#204807 - 11/15/05 08:30 PM Re: Original Wado? [Re: Prizewriter]
NEAS Offline
Banned Member

The reason that I use the term suzuki s book is even at that time there were people trying to earn money out of teaching karate who werent qualified. I used this publication to make sure what was being taught at the karate school was correct.

#204808 - 11/16/05 03:15 AM Re: Original Wado? [Re: Prizewriter]
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
Originally Wado did include knife defence and sword defence. Some Wado schools still include the knife defence but very few include the sword defence.

#204809 - 11/16/05 11:33 AM Re: Original Wado? [Re: Prizewriter]
Trefathell Offline

Quote:

I am interested in taking up Wado Ryu, as this is the most prevalent style in the area. There are several different schools that I can attend, and I have actually been to a few classes with different dojos.

There remains one class that I have not presently attended; yet I intend to do this soon. I e-mailed the Sensei of the class. He explained that they taught original style of Wado, as Ohtsuka had developed it. He said they included all of Ohtsuka sword and knife techniques in their training of Wado Ryu Karate.

I was wondering, is there anyone who can tell me more about this? I am aware that some karate styles train with weapons, and that of course Ohtsuka was well versed in the art of ju jutsu. But is it correct that sword and knife training were part of original Wado Ryu (as the Sensei implied in his e-mail)?

I have tried to research this, but have not found much to confirm/deny this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And please excuse any ignorance in the above post; my knowledge of Karate is light. Thanks to all who read this post.

Wado as a style seems to have maintained some integrity, but has suffered many political upheavals. It is rather a victim of its own success in that it has spawned many off-shoots.

Master Ohtsuka who founded the style in the 1930s was a Jujutsu master of the old style before he started training in Okinawan Karate under G. Funakoshi. He blended elements of both systems and founded something new, Wado Ryu. Some things were entirely fresh and unique but other elements he took directly from his old style Jujutsu and some of these are seen in the Wado knife defences, Sword defences and nobody has mentioned the kneeling defences which are part of the root Wado syllabus and are pure old school Jujutsu!
It is true, not many Wado groups still train in all of these, but some of those nearest to the main trunk of the Wado 'tree' still do.

If you are interested in that aspect contact someone who still practices these. And, if you can find out who they learned them from all the better. I say this because they are very technical and can't be appreciated from a book or a video.

The sword, knife and kneeling techniques are very difficult for a beginner to access because you have to go through a whole load of other stuff before you can even begin to think about getting a handle on those. But ultimately if you are being taught properly from the beginning everything you are being introduced to sets you on a path which will result in an inevitable meeting with those advanced techniques.

Trefathell

#204810 - 11/16/05 01:50 PM Re: Original Wado? [Re: Prizewriter]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Thanks everyone, I have found every one of your responses helpful.

#204811 - 11/17/05 11:10 AM Re: Original Wado? [Re: Prizewriter]
WADO Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: denver co usa
I am not sure if I am too late to make any meaningfull contribution to this discussion, but I would say Wado is really the most truely Japanese of the Karate styles. The stances and body movement techniques are the same as Japanese sword fighting stances and movement techniques, sword and knife training is not practiced very widely but most wado schools will have swords on the walls and they will come down from time to time. I agree that wado may be the most technical Karate style by that I mean it has much smaller movements than other styles, its essence is subtlty, tat's why I chose it 17 years ago, it wil put even more emphasis on technical perfection and even less on physical attributes than the other major styles. If you would like to post the instructors name I can checck his credentials and e-mail you back privately.

#204812 - 11/17/05 11:40 AM Re: Original Wado? [Re: WADO]
funstick5000 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: West Yorkshire, England
reading through this and the interveiws i'm really glad my nearest karate school (i say school not dojo because it is held in a primary school hall) is wado-ryu, specifically ki-rin. does any know anything about ki-rin?

#204813 - 11/17/05 06:57 PM Re: Original Wado? [Re: funstick5000]
Trefathell Offline

Quote:

reading through this and the interveiws i'm really glad my nearest karate school (i say school not dojo because it is held in a primary school hall) is wado-ryu, specifically ki-rin. does any know anything about ki-rin?

Give me a little more info, or refer me to a website and I might be in a position to give you some additional information.

Trefathell

#204814 - 11/17/05 07:38 PM Re: Original Wado?Trefathell [Re: Trefathell]
NEAS Offline
Banned Member

training were part of original Wado Ryu (as the Sensei implied in his e-mail)?

Wado as a style seems to have maintained some integrity, but has suffered many political upheavals. It is rather a victim of its own success in that it has spawned many off-shoots.

Master Ohtsuka who founded the style in the 1930s was a The sword, knife and kneeling techniques are very difficult for a beginner to access because you have to go through a whole load of other stuff before you can even begin to think about getting a handle on those. But ultimately if you are being taught properly from the beginning everything you are being introduced to sets you on a path which will result in an inevitable meeting with those advanced techniques.

Hi I have found the sword kneeling techniques etc and I now remember the advanced grades training in them(long time ago) I have just obtained a book on early ju jitsu methods and low and behold some techniques that are now being taught as cage fight techniques are in there.But there isnt that many. I am always on the look out for this kind of thing. Do you know of any publications ? thanks neas.
Trefathell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga