FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
ergees 2
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35583 Topics
432511 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#204486 - 11/24/05 06:25 AM Re: being well conditioned for the streets [Re: Belnick]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

Quote:

At some point it stops becoming self defense and becomes assault.

what about defending your self of his revenge to come
I know if I got beaten(unfairly in priciples) I would revenge 6months later or when ever I was out of the hospital, so I must count on that the guy I am fighting would do the same...

With that kind of logic you'd have to kill everyone you fight with. Besides,I don't that would stand up in court.

#204487 - 11/30/05 08:35 PM Re: being well conditioned for the streets [Re: BrianS]
Subedei Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

At some point it stops becoming self defense and becomes assault.

what about defending your self of his revenge to come
I know if I got beaten(unfairly in priciples) I would revenge 6months later or when ever I was out of the hospital, so I must count on that the guy I am fighting would do the same...

With that kind of logic you'd have to kill everyone you fight with. Besides,I don't that would stand up in court.

Consider this a warning Subduei

Edited by BrianS (11/30/05 11:45 PM)

#204488 - 12/02/05 05:41 PM Re: being well conditioned for the streets [Re: nekogami13 V2.0]
knuckles_3 Offline

Loc: rio rancho, new mexico
i belive u must study your opponent and see and figure out his patern. yes this is rule the more expirence you are the better youll be in a street fight but they pull a gun on u then wat

#204489 - 12/02/05 06:27 PM Re: being well conditioned for the streets [Re: knuckles_3]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Quote:

i belive u must study your opponent and see and figure out his patern. yes this is rule the more expirence you are the better youll be in a street fight but they pull a gun on u then wat

I take it you're a street fighter then?

#204490 - 12/12/05 08:45 AM Re: being well conditioned for the streets [Re: Leo_E_49]
dud Offline

My point:
I can see here posts from tough martial artists. I assume that most of you are hug guys, with strong bodies, well trained, etc.

BUT, here goes my argument: which person is more likeable to suffer aggresion from criminals: a full of muscles Hercules, or the defenseless old woman, the child, the crippled, and other risky groups?

I guess that if we study how criminals REALLY attack, we shall find many more women than athletes being victimized, many more children than martial artists being attacked, and many more lone old ladies at their houses being strangled than tough UFC competitors fired to death. The thug wants a victim and not a fight, this is an axioma. So, why the emphasis in physical conditioning, when this emphasis will let out of the Self Defense forums precisely to the persons with more chance of suffer violent attacks? Will our granmas practice TKD with 80 years? Will my wife, a professional at the university, thin woman, 35, kick the hell out of an Edmund Kemper, or my 6-8 years old boy defeat a pederast ex - convict armed with a knife? Sure!!! Conditioning for all of them and good training on the best style is the answer!!!! BS.

PSYCHOLOGICAL SELF DEFENSE is the answer, NOT fighting. We love talk about fighting (is OK, we are Martial Artists after all) but not everybody can´t fight like us, and those are the persons in greatest danger from criminals!!!!

Next time you are going to proclaim the physical conditioning theory, think about a crippled guy on a wheelchair being attacked to death by a psycho, without time to catch his own weapon. Yeah, the teory is a good one (I believe in fitness) but not UNIVERSAL. So, it is not the entire truth, Awareness and avoidance is.
My humble opinion.
Dud

#204491 - 12/12/05 12:31 PM Re: being well conditioned for the streets [Re: dud]
eljukavi Offline
Stranger

Loc: North Carolina
Good day. new kid on this block... I've been reading with interest back to the Nov. timeframe, and what seems to be happening in a round about way is that on most levels, mose everyone agrees! I know that sounds a bit strange, come with me for a minute, or three.

I'm thinking this post was originally intended for those with functioning body parts, some level of training (or desire to train), and an age of some physical maturity... On that point I have to say anaerobics training is an ESSENTIAL, deriving from the "15 second adrenaline dump to 3 minutes of recovery" principle.

The underscored and unstated phrase here, however, seems to be: "it depends", and dud has touched on one of the more VERY significant points.

Who IS a mugger going to attack, one who knows how to look the look, walk the walk, etc., or wheel chair person taking the alleyway shortcut home? (BTW, my first teacher was a frail looking from-the-knees-down amputee 'Nam vet in a 'chair who showed me stub legs to the 'plexus is just as nasty! He was admittedly, far from typical, but among several lessons learned: ya just never know...)but I digress. Answer of course, is the obvious "who do you think the coward is going to target?" question

Anyway, in summ:
1) Awareness/avoidance/prevention - absolutely !
2) Anerobics - yes, very.
3) learning "keep it simple" defense - no doubt.
to ignore any of these is signature self-protection failure potential. ESPECIALLY #1... on #3, remember that "any means necessary" also includes handing it (wallet, watch, replaceables) over, and running!

I hope I didn't miss dud's point, that not everyone has the capacity or physical capability to train in the conventional anaerobic methods.. so the question still remains: what - if any - physical training potentials CAN be developed for the "challenged" as mentioned in dud's thread (young, old, handicap, etc)?
Is the answer here, again, "it depends"?

Thanks for reading my babble.
Train hard, Train smart !

#204492 - 12/13/05 03:00 PM Re: being well conditioned for the streets [Re: eljukavi]
dud Offline

Quote:

I hope I didn't miss dud's point, that not everyone has the capacity or physical capability to train in the conventional anaerobic methods.. so the question still remains: what - if any - physical training potentials CAN be developed for the "challenged" as mentioned in dud's thread (young, old, handicap, etc)?
Is the answer here, again, "it depends"?

eljukavi: maybe in the Dojo I can teach those persons things like: when he grabs your throat, make him a Te Gatame or whatever. In the DOJO everythings is cool! On Reality? See the news. They are the answer.

I believe in fitness. Everyday I try to make a lot of push ups, lift weights, etc, etc. I am a 35 years old man who is in a good physical shape to be a professional that just makes an office´s work. But I think on a future: when I will be 65 - 70 years old. If I have to face a home invasion, etc. Will I be fit? Sure I won´t! Is this possible: since the criminal mindset: TOTALLY.

Maybe someone will tell me about old masters that posess a great KI even though they are physically wasted. Well, for a Demonstration in the Budokan, sounds great. Not for real life. I believe in having a lot of awareness and enough psychology to survive. I read this article: 'The Golden Second' on Realfighting.com, about elders under attack from muggers and ways of defending themselves. This guy (Bill Langlois I think) KNOWS what he writes because he was a decoy for LA PD. I advice anyone here to read this article and to think about the real VICTIMS of violence.

We think too much as martial artists, but we are only a small portion of mankind. And the others? Can everybody fight like a Martial Artist? No. Can everybody survive (a concept different to fight) violence? I am optimist. I think that with good brains, everybody can.
Regards
Dud

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga