FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#203926 - 12/06/05 12:18 PM Re: Full Tang Katana [Re: V34]
Benjamin1986 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Republic of Texas
Guys, please control yourselves. There are many of us who do not agree with Tsafa's methods, but there is no need to be rude about it.

#203927 - 12/07/05 04:19 PM Re: Full Tang Katana [Re: Benjamin1986]
tsafa Offline

Thank you for your feedback everyone. I will try to respond to some of the serious answers and questions.

1) I have a statement on my site stating what I am testing for. I am testing for durability, not balance or cutting ability.

2) Regarding the issue of how strong stainless steal is or is not, I am taking a blind position to this as if I did not know and let the testing and practice speak for itself. By now, I have performed over 2,000 strikes on the tire-pell and it has not broken. If it does I will post that it did and after how many estimated blows. So that will be determined by factual evidence, not hear-say and guessing. Also understand that I did not set out to promote this or any other sword. If it broke after a hundred swings, I would have told you as I have said about other swords.

3) Regarding the loss of sharpness: well, understand that this was not a razor to start with. It can cut into the edge of an envolope 1/4 of an inch as you run it down the blade and apply a mild presure. It cuts through carboard and rope easy. It will definetly cut your skin if you run your hand down the edge. The edge seems to be holding up better then my Euro carbon steal swords. But the euro-swords get more abuse because of the hacking style cuts made with them. The drawing slice seems to be kinder to the blade. But I have made plenty of hacks with the FT katana just to see how it holds up. Sometimes I hack by accident when I intend to slice. Still working on my techic, but the majority of strikes have been drawing slices. I uploaded some new video to my website making some cuts.

4) Some asked if if was really a full tang. Absolutly, see the picture on my site.

5) On the issue of handle comfort. I said on my site that I would prefer it longer. But that is my subjective opinion. Someone else may like it just the way it is.

6) On the issue of cost. yeah I could get a $3,000 sword but I would be afraid to use it cause I might scratch it or something... Isn't that just silly !!! I want something I can play with and I like to play hard. Also by spreading my money around, I have the benefit of owning and practicing with many different swords which is more fun to me. I also like the idea of getting a good value.

7) On the issue of if this qualifies as a Katana or not..??? As I said on my site... "a sword is a tool of war, not a home decoration" I don't care what you call it, the question I am interested in is... could you use this weapon on a battlefield to defeat your enemy...

#203928 - 01/02/06 11:19 PM Re: Full Tang Katana [Re: tsafa]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

the question I am interested in is... could you use this weapon on a battlefield to defeat your enemy...

which enemy would that be? the guy that splurged for the real $1,000 sword and actual instructed lessons on how to use it? :rolls eyes:

sorry...just passing thru the forum...

#203929 - 02/14/06 03:29 AM Re: Full Tang Katana [Re: V34]
Uccello Offline
Stranger

I appreciate this forum thread.

I have just recently committed to buying two swords like the the one discussed here for my brother and I. We live on the coast of BC and we plan to use them for clearing trails (thin branches/leaves) in the bush and protection against wild animals (cougars, bears, salmon, etc.).

Since making the purchase, I've learned there is a vast difference between these and real swords - someday I hope to have a real one. They do appear to be among the best usable 'fakes'. I get the sense these forums contain many 'purists' who can only scoff at owning such a hunk of metal.

I feel somewhat confident these swords should stand up to the abuse we'll put them through - I hope we don't run in to a pack of warriors with real swords...

Thanks for all the great links and perspectives; I'll be back here often to learn more.

Rick

#203930 - 02/14/06 09:36 AM Re: Full Tang Katana [Re: Uccello]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
Quote:

We live on the coast of BC and we plan to use them for clearing trails (thin branches/leaves) in the bush and protection against wild animals (cougars, bears, salmon, etc.).

I spend a lot of time in the Adirondacks on our property near Lake Placid. Yes, I clear trails using a slice/cut rather than hacking. But my tool of choice is a machete. It is cheap army surplus. Much nicked. Can be used with either hand. Great for strength training. Sings almost as well as my iaito.

#203931 - 02/14/06 11:08 AM Re: Full Tang Katana [Re: iaibear]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
I'll second the machete for both of your needs. It's much better at clearing brush that a sword would be, and just as useful against critters. Also easier to explain to the authorities.

#203932 - 02/14/06 11:38 AM Re: Full Tang Katana [Re: Charles Mahan]
Uccello Offline
Stranger

A machete may work just as well, but is it as fun? I imagine not. I'd never use a real sword for this purpose - that's why I have no issue with using my fake one.

Your mention of the Authorities: Are there laws against wandering around in the bush with a sword? I guess I'll have to look into the local laws...

Rick

#203933 - 02/14/06 05:44 PM Re: Full Tang Katana [Re: Uccello]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
It'll be great fun until your fake one snaps and the sharp part comes hurtling back at you because you used it for something it wasn't designed for. Oh and of course then you're bleeding badly in the middle of nowhere. Not a good place for a serious injury.

I'll wager your "fakes" are made out of stainless steel of some variety or other. Stainless is brittle. That's why it isn't used for the real thing.

Edited by Charles Mahan (02/14/06 05:46 PM)

#203934 - 02/14/06 06:23 PM Re: Full Tang Katana [Re: Charles Mahan]
tsafa Offline

Quote:

It'll be great fun until your fake one snaps and the sharp part comes hurtling back at you because you used it for something it wasn't designed for. Oh and of course then you're bleeding badly in the middle of nowhere. Not a good place for a serious injury.

I recomend that he test that sword in a more controlled enviornment and post the results for the benefit of everyone. It would be better to develop a data base with actual facts then just guessing.

Edited by tsafa (02/14/06 06:26 PM)

#203935 - 02/14/06 08:48 PM Re: Full Tang Katana [Re: tsafa]
Uccello Offline
Stranger

I'm sure we'll get some photos of their use and I will post detailed information about the fake swords once we have them. Should anything happen while using them I'll post it here for all to review.

This is the first place I've been able to read anything credible about what kinds of use various swords may withstand - aside from whether it's scientific or not. Un-scientific lab-test results are better than no results of any kind. I now know I can sharpen the edges of my soon-to-arrive swords, as well as attack tires from the posted review.

I plan to be careful when using these swords and not subject them to anything too strenuous in order to avoid injury - I would do the same with real swords. They have been marketed as having "440 stainless steel blades" and from the internet research I've done on the quality and grade of steel for these blades, I realise there is cause for concern. The "440" designation can vary greatly (in terms of mixtures of metal) resulting in varying strengths/weaknesses in blades.

A quick Google search of the particulars for any sword can provide an abundent amount of (dis)information - that's how I came across this forum - and one would be well-advised to do this BEFORE ordering swords/anything over the internet.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga