FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#203878 - 11/11/05 05:09 PM Application of Jeet Kune Do
RockHard Huy Offline

I was just wondering how the philosophies of JKD would apply to different martial arts.

Applied to Aikido, how would the practitioner evolve?
What about jujitsu?

I'll let you guys share you opinions before I share mine.

#203879 - 11/11/05 05:40 PM Re: Application of Jeet Kune Do [Re: RockHard Huy]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

I was just wondering how the philosophies of JKD would apply to different martial arts.

Applied to Aikido, how would the practitioner evolve?

Probably to the point to where he was no longer doing aikido, lol.

But seriously, a LOT would have to change I believe (regarding aikido). I mean you have to add boxing, kicking, clinching and ground fighting. I’m really not a big fan of wristlocks. That’s a HUGE part of aikido. I say, scrap it and use other methods of throwing and close quarter fighting.

Quote:

What about jujitsu?

Brazilian jiu-jitsu or Japanese? If we’re talking BJJ, nothing has to change.

Quote:

I'll let you guys share you opinions before I share mine.

Lets hear it.

-John

#203880 - 11/11/05 05:47 PM Re: Application of Jeet Kune Do [Re: RockHard Huy]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I am not sure I understand your question.

JKD principles apply the same way to any other art. JKD is a vehicle for finding and then exceeding your own personal limitations, whether they be physical, technical or emotional.

A given practitioner's evolution would depend on what the specific needs of the person would be.

#203881 - 11/11/05 06:00 PM Re: Application of Jeet Kune Do [Re: JKogas]
RockHard Huy Offline

I was thinking the same thing regarding Aikido. At the very least, I think the practitioner would adopt some palm strikes and become a close to mid range fighter with heavy emphasis on their hands. They would need to figure out how to balance the idea of intercepting an attack with the idea of being passive. Be passive, deflecting the opponent’s blows until stepping in range to intercept his core with a single strike. Sort of like how you approached my post. Answered the questions, then attacked with "let's hear it". I'm pretty naive

I was thinking Japanese, but really have no idea how JKD would affect it.

#203882 - 11/11/05 06:19 PM Re: Application of Jeet Kune Do [Re: RockHard Huy]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

If the core principle of JKD is, "discovering the truth in combat" and, knowing that the "truth is different for each individual".....

That would mean that:

You have discovered this "truth" how? By "researching your own experience, absorbing what you found useful and discarding the rest. But how do you know what's useful? By training and sparring it LIVE against a resisting partner/opponent.

Japanese jiu-jitsu practitioners don't have the greatest reputation for doing that.

Just my opinion and experience.

-John

#203883 - 11/11/05 06:37 PM Re: Application of Jeet Kune Do [Re: JKogas]
RockHard Huy Offline

right

#203884 - 11/12/05 06:22 AM Re: Application of Jeet Kune Do [Re: RockHard Huy]
etaks86 Offline

I read something one time i'm not sure where maybe on this forum, someone said once before that any martial art that works well in combat will look like boxing or kickboxing, it may not look the exact same and you'd be able to tell the differences between boxing and your combat art but they would still look alike maybe even very much alike. that's because any art that seeks to work well in combat will make it's self simple, precise, and effective. Any art that seeks to be the most effective will put simplicity above all other philosophies. anyway that's my opinion on the matter i could go on and on about almost anything because i'm the conversational type but i'll stop now.

#203885 - 11/12/05 08:52 AM Re: Application of Jeet Kune Do [Re: etaks86]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Quote:

I read something one time i'm not sure where maybe on this forum, someone said once before that any martial art that works well in combat will look like boxing or kickboxing, it may not look the exact same and you'd be able to tell the differences between boxing and your combat art but they would still look alike maybe even very much alike.

All “alive” arts trained in an alive manner will tend to look the same. (That’s because there truly are no such things as “styles”, but that’s another topic…)

This is in part due to the fact “advanced” moves don’t really exist and are only things that people can pull off during training with compliant partners (for the most part). Simple basics work. They work in training and during the heat of a fight. They work because they’re simple.

Aikido isn’t simple. It is based upon fine motor abilities. Fine motor abilities tend to fall apart during the adrenaline surge.

Quote:

that's because any art that seeks to work well in combat will make it's self simple, precise, and effective. Any art that seeks to be the most effective will put simplicity above all other philosophies.

Simplicity in this case is referring to gross motor movements as opposed to fine motor movements. Brazilian jiu-jitsu tends to be more functional than aikido (for most practitioners) because you’re controlling large joints install of smaller ones (elbow and shoulder as opposed to the wrist and fingers, etc .)

There are exceptions to this general rule. Any technique can “work” given it’s own time and circumstances. Simple basics tend to work more reliably over complex movements. I don’t think ANYONE will argue with that.

-John

#203886 - 11/13/05 06:08 AM Re: Application of Jeet Kune Do [Re: JKogas]
etaks86 Offline

Yes i completely agree.

#203887 - 11/15/05 10:03 AM Re: Application of Jeet Kune Do [Re: etaks86]
WuXing Offline

Loc: Idaho, USA
I'm not sure that's true, that any martial art that works well will look like kickboxing. Boxing and kickboxing don't have any grabs or takedowns, and lots of effective styles use grappling. I wouldn't say grappling looks like boxing. A good style emphasizes efficiency, which isn't exactly the same as simplicity.
Bruce Lee's principles apply to whatever you might study. I apply Jeet Kune Do principles to my own practice, which doesn't include any boxing, jujutsu, or wing chun. There is Okinawan karate, Shaolin five animals, Tai Chi Chuan, Praying Mantis, black tiger, and chin na. I use grappling techniques from chin na, from the five animals' dragon style, and from tai chi chuan. Hand techniques from five animals, karate, and mantis. Legs from mantis and black tiger. Ground techniques of black tiger and chin na. The point is, I use the techniques that are most efficient for me from each style. You drill them in forms and sparring until they are second nature, and the style becomes your own. If you are practicing just one style, then Jeet Kune Do would apply to finding the most efficient way to perform the techniques from that style for yourself. Being honest with yourself. I think really Jeet Kune Do philosophy applies best to cross-training, or at least when you are rather advanced in at least one style, so you have a wide repetoir of techniques and strategies to choose from.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga