FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 2
ergees 2
GojuRyuboy13 2
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35584 Topics
432513 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#203866 - 11/14/05 12:56 PM Re: Instructor stories [Re: Inyo]
fattts14 Offline
Member

Registered: 07/07/05
Posts: 224
Loc: T.O. On, Can
10 posts and still only one story. Alot of you need to chill-lax on the smack talk!!!!!!!!!!!! Who cares if it is embelished. Any one else have a story, and not cnfrontational words?
_________________________
Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Top
#203867 - 11/14/05 11:44 PM Re: Instructor stories [Re: fattts14]
UofM Shorin Ryu Offline
Resident Forum Breakdancer

Registered: 02/07/05
Posts: 981
Importance of wearing a cup, and why groin kicks aren't 100% effective all the time....


Sifu says story comming right up.....


Ok, so one day sifu told us a story, after someone got hit in the groin during sparring (I wasn't the kicker or the receiver). He was training with a group of friends one time, and two of them decided to do a little sparring. Now one of them wasn't wearing a cup, didn't feel he needed to. These two have sparred so often they can read each other's moves, and know what to expect....

So one of them ALWAYS does a straight front kick, then turns and does a back kick follow-up. The other guy (Man 2) knew this was the order of things, man 1 liked doing this combo a lot, so as kick 1 comes along, he (man 2) moves to the side and throws his own kick to the stomach (soccer style kick). Well man 1 slipped a little, and as he went right into his back kick he slid a bit, and the kick that was directed at his stomach (thrown by man 2)slipped a little below the mark.

According to sifu, after guy 1 got kicked in the goods (quite hard too), he walked around a little, fuming at the mouth, then puched two holes in the cinderblock walls. Then he fell down, threw up, and the rest of them drove guy 1 to the hospital, where he spent the next 6 months.....

Moral of the story:
1. Wear a cup

2. Shots to the groin aren't always the best for self defense...
the attacker might fall down.
Then again, the attacker might get mad, kill you, then fall down....

Best option: RUN!
_________________________
Alea iacta est ~ Gauis Julius Caesar Ne quis nimis ~ Solon Nuts to cancer ~ Sanchin31

Top
#203868 - 11/15/05 08:46 AM Re: Instructor stories [Re: UofM Shorin Ryu]
AshiharaStudent Offline
Member

Registered: 07/01/05
Posts: 121
Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Quote:

Importance of wearing a cup, and why groin kicks aren't 100% effective all the time....


Sifu says story comming right up.....


Ok, so one day sifu told us a story, after someone got hit in the groin during sparring (I wasn't the kicker or the receiver). He was training with a group of friends one time, and two of them decided to do a little sparring. Now one of them wasn't wearing a cup, didn't feel he needed to. These two have sparred so often they can read each other's moves, and know what to expect....

So one of them ALWAYS does a straight front kick, then turns and does a back kick follow-up. The other guy (Man 2) knew this was the order of things, man 1 liked doing this combo a lot, so as kick 1 comes along, he (man 2) moves to the side and throws his own kick to the stomach (soccer style kick). Well man 1 slipped a little, and as he went right into his back kick he slid a bit, and the kick that was directed at his stomach (thrown by man 2)slipped a little below the mark.

According to sifu, after guy 1 got kicked in the goods (quite hard too), he walked around a little, fuming at the mouth, then puched two holes in the cinderblock walls. Then he fell down, threw up, and the rest of them drove guy 1 to the hospital, where he spent the next 6 months.....

Moral of the story:
1. Wear a cup

2. Shots to the groin aren't always the best for self defense...
the attacker might fall down.
Then again, the attacker might get mad, kill you, then fall down....

Best option: RUN!




I second that action....wear a cup.

I was sparring a guy once and went for a high kick. At that exact moment he went for a back straight kick and lifted me off the ground by the nads. I passed out from the pain and then proceded to throw up when I came round.

Was walking around like an old man for 2 weeks after that. It brings a tear to the eye just typing this.
_________________________
All martial arts are equal.... it's just that some are more equal than others!

Top
#203869 - 11/15/05 12:12 PM Re: Instructor stories [Re: AshiharaStudent]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Registered: 08/25/04
Posts: 3012
Loc: Torrance, CA
AS,

Also, remember Kancho Ashihara lost one of the twins in a sparring match in his younger years. Yep, the founder of Ashihara Karate tore his penny purse....not a nice thing to happen while sparring.

-B

Top
#203870 - 11/15/05 12:35 PM Re: Instructor stories [Re: butterfly]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Registered: 11/04/05
Posts: 5959
Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

AS,

Also, remember Kancho Ashihara lost one of the twins in a sparring match in his younger years. Yep, the founder of Ashihara Karate tore his penny purse....not a nice thing to happen while sparring.

-B




Another one bites the dust!! I am only half as likely to get racked now.
_________________________
The2nd ammendment, it makes all the others possible. <///<




Top
#203871 - 11/16/05 01:35 AM Re: Instructor stories [Re: BrianS]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Registered: 08/26/04
Posts: 2637
Loc: Malaysia
Quote:

I am only half as likely to get racked now.




Yes, but you are twice as likely to end up with NUTHING
_________________________
I'll rather be happy than right, anytime.

Top
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2


Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 




Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

 

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga