FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Today at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#203856 - 11/11/05 04:06 PM Instructor stories
Inyo Offline

Anyone have some cool/funny stories of your instructor? In my experience as a listener, I've found that the more experience someone has, the more interesting ones they will have to talk about.

My instructor was a security guard for a while after college. There are several tales in this category, but I'll post one for the moment.

One night as he was going about his rounds, some guy came up with his girlfriend and decided he would impress her by acting tough. I believe he was untrained. In any case, some words were exchanged, and he wasn't willing to back down despite my instructor calmly trying to get him to be on his way. He took some fighting stance and stepped in, but my instructor raised his leg and simply swished his foot a few centimeters in front of the man's face a few times, basically doing a quick roundhouse-hook-roundhous-hook kick combo. The gentleman promptly dropped his attitude, turned around, and walked off with his girlfriend.

Any others?

#203857 - 11/11/05 07:15 PM Re: Instructor stories [Re: Inyo]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

One night as he was going about his rounds, some guy came up with his girlfriend and decided he would impress her by acting tough. I believe he was untrained. In any case, some words were exchanged, and he wasn't willing to back down despite my instructor calmly trying to get him to be on his way. He took some fighting stance and stepped in, but my instructor raised his leg and simply swished his foot a few centimeters in front of the man's face a few times, basically doing a quick roundhouse-hook-roundhous-hook kick combo. The gentleman promptly dropped his attitude, turned around, and walked off with his girlfriend.

I guess your instructor told you this story? How lame,trying to put himself on a pedistal. Don't brag,if you are good others will do it for you.

#203858 - 11/11/05 09:08 PM Re: Instructor stories [Re: Inyo]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kent, England
That went down well, didn't it?

#203859 - 11/11/05 09:33 PM Re: Instructor stories [Re: McSensei]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia

Many Happy Returns!

As the Chinese would say -- may your wealth be vast as the Eastern Seas and your life as long as the hills.

Lets give the instructor the benefit of the doubt; he could 'swish' his feet a few times inches from someone's face until proven otherwise. He could have told a taller one if he really wanted to impress.

#203860 - 11/11/05 09:43 PM Re: Instructor stories [Re: ButterflyPalm]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

Lets give the instructor the benefit of the doubt; he could 'swish' his feet a few times inches from someone's face until proven otherwise. He could have told a taller one if he really wanted to impress.

Never!!!! This sounds too much like something he saw on TV at 2a.m. lol. I say it is hogwash.

#203861 - 11/11/05 11:55 PM Re: Instructor stories [Re: BrianS]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia

But he is right on Topic though -- this is the Tales & Stories Forum, No?

#203862 - 11/12/05 02:34 PM Re: Instructor stories [Re: ButterflyPalm]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kent, England
Yes, but it is not "tall tales and fairy stories.lol

#203863 - 11/13/05 06:45 PM Re: Instructor stories [Re: Inyo]
goju_girl Offline

Loc: Canada eh!
*DELETED FOR BEING IRRELEVENT AND STUPID*

But still, thanks Leo for the advice (I just should have deleted this before you wasted your time writing a reply ) sorry for wasting your time, but I sincerely thank you for the advice.

-Nikita

Edited by goju_girl (11/13/05 08:54 PM)

#203864 - 11/13/05 08:40 PM Re: Instructor stories [Re: goju_girl]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Whatever you do, do it privately after school. Do not talk back to your instructor in front of other students, authority is very important when teaching others in a discipline where your students are paying you and are therefore less likely to follow your instructions, thinking they can bend you to their will.

I suggest ask him when there are no students if you can speak to him privately after class. Then when no one else is around, explain how that despite the fact that you are enthusiastic and giving your all into training, you feel uncomfortable and that you feel as if you are being singled out for all of your mistakes. Ask him that next time he wants to tell you something, he explains the reason why it's important that you follow what he's saying and that if he finds you lagging behind perhaps ask you what's wrong instead of telling you to pick up the pace as it embarrasses you infront of the other students or something.

Just be reasonable and open minded about it and I'm sure he will understand. Everyone learns differently and has different levels of fitness and skill, he should know that if you don't feel comfortable, it's his job to help you improve, not to berate you. Every good coach should know that.

#203865 - 11/13/05 09:57 PM Re: Instructor stories [Re: BrianS]
Inyo Offline

Quote:

I guess your instructor told you this story? How lame,trying to put himself on a pedistal. Don't brag,if you are good others will do it for you.

Pedistal? Not really. I actually heard it first from one of the shihan. The rationale behind relating it was to point out that you don't always have to actually 'get into it', even when someone is already coming at you. He never tried or claimed to be great.. though in keeping with the "others will do it for you" thing you brought up, I or any one of the people in the ryu can tell you he's great. Though, of course, you don't have to beleive it, but that's a prerogative we all have..

In any case, I rather wonder what's so hard to believe about it. Anyone that can kick at least head-high and has good balance could move their foot in front of someone's face, am I correct? I'm not saying the guy was charging blindly.. quite the opposite; he was being tentative because his motive was trying to impress his date by being 'tough', not "kill kill kill!". That's why it worked.. it gave the guy a chance to rethink, and he did.

I won't deny that a healthy amount of skeptisism is definately a good thing, but.. tall tales and fairy stories? Come on, the act of a few continuous kicks isn't terribly unbeleivable, especially if you practice kicking often. I can do it easily enough, I'm sure plenty of people on here can, as well..

Heh, all ranting aside, I'll summarize and say the story was true. Take it as you care to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga