FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#203648 - 11/17/05 07:41 AM Re: How important is lineage? [Re: ButterflyPalm]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

...you just made my point. so, Okinawan Te was no longer Okinawans cup of Ti ? lol..ok, bad pun, couldn't resist.

How is it possible that practically ALL of the founders of something-Ryu had 3 or more influences (respected Sensei) without any of them being 'betrayers' ? answer: because they were not betraying anything or anybody.
Maybe, they were even encouraged to cross-train.

looking at the 19th century, you find Okinawan masters seeking chinese influences (or re-influences?) into toudi.
tou=tang=china (as in Tang dynasty) + di/ti/te=hand.

why were they doing that? for instance, was Higashionna trying to recapture something he felt was lost to time, or was he crosstraining his existing Art of 'Te'? In any case, was he viewed as betraying anything?

#203649 - 11/17/05 10:03 AM Re: How important is lineage? [Re: Ed_Morris]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I don't think there was any betrayal just looking for a better way to defend themselves effectively and effeicently is what I believe was sought. In modren times these things can be looked over to the more glittery or profitable pretty or fancy method of a system making them a sport rather then a MA. IMHO.

Thats is a question to ponder. Whats was his mission if already trained in TE? I believe his past instructor adviced him to go to China. So it would seem there was no betrayal.

Edited by Neko456 (11/17/05 10:04 AM)

#203650 - 11/17/05 03:36 PM Re: How important is lineage? [Re: Ed_Morris]
CVV Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belgium
The end of the Okinawan kingdom and the politial turmoil at the end of the 19th century in China marked the change in the training of tode. Before that time people would learn certain techniques/kata/applications with several masters and build their own curriculum. The studies in China were not only limited to martial arts but part of either academic study or related to diplomatic/business activities. Anyway, Chinese culture and manners were regarded as high standard in Okinawan society. Tode was never about fighting alone but must be seen in a brother cultural picture. The Okinawans would not limit themselves to one system only but apllied principles and training methods of several systems and added their own flavor. They made the system their own. But these evolutions were also part of the Chinese traditions.
Since the 1920ies, the Chinese influence was minimal due to the political environment. Nowadays, thanks to our information and communication society, arts are evolving again and there are 2 approaches. Throw away what you cannot use/apply and replace by what you can use/apply or reverse engeneering: try to apply/use something new in existing method/principles. Try to figure out if this new thing was already there.
Betrayal or not, the first way will lead to a converted or newer system, the second will stay within his lineage and is referred to as 'traditional'.
What counts for me is that I have fun while training and this implies renovating constantly as my body and knowledge changes.
Is lineage important ? It depends on what you are trying to sell to yourselves and/or others.

#203651 - 11/17/05 07:53 PM Re: How important is lineage? [Re: CVV]
SonOfSoken Offline

Wow. I forget how many of you on this forum were smart and insightiful. All the responses have been great and I've been humbled.

Anyway my final take on this is that lineage probably only means something to someone who comes from a solid one. I'm sure that a kid who is taking "Master Jimmy Crackcorn's Eclectic Freestyle American Kenpo Karate" wouldn't even know what a legit lineage is let alone care.

You know everyone always hypes up e-budo, but out of all the sites with good martial artists posting on them this forum is tops IMHO. You guys know your stuff and I respect that.

Don't get big-headed though. I'm bound to have a heated debate with some of you sooner or later. If that happens don't take it personally.

Great thread, Edward!

#203652 - 11/17/05 10:22 PM Re: How important is lineage? [Re: SonOfSoken]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

yes, good thread Brian...that's BrIan with an 'I'.

If you trace the lineage of this thread waaay back to the first page and first post, you'll find the spawner of this family, we call him our Threadstarter.
Thread-brothers, thats what us Nth-gen posters are...and nobody...I mean NOBODY can take that away from us. (except maybe the Admin and a 'lock thread' button)

Good thread BrianS. So, in response to your friend who brought all of this up, ask him what he be sellin' and see what you be smellin'. Then tell him you're mellon be gellin from his fellon. lol

p.s. only my Mother calls me 'Edward'

#203653 - 11/18/05 07:40 AM Re: How important is lineage? [Re: Ed_Morris]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Thanks Ed! I agree with SonofSoken(lol). Lots of good and knowledgeable people here,best on the web!

I really don't want to talk to that guy much anymore.Besides,he's hard to get a word in edgewise on because he's too busy talking about what he knows.

He has a good lineage,probably better than mine,but I do know mine and I take pride in it.

#203654 - 11/18/05 12:28 PM Re: How important is lineage? [Re: SonOfSoken]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

I'm sure that a kid who is taking "Master Jimmy Crackcorn's Eclectic Freestyle American Kenpo Karate" wouldn't even know what a legit lineage is let alone care.

Oy.

#203655 - 11/18/05 01:10 PM Re: How important is lineage? [Re: MattJ]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure that a kid who is taking "Master Jimmy Crackcorn's Eclectic Freestyle American Kenpo Karate" wouldn't even know what a legit lineage is let alone care.

Oy.

Oy. Double oy.

#203656 - 11/18/05 01:26 PM Re: How important is lineage? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Oy vey !

#203657 - 11/18/05 02:09 PM Re: How important is lineage? [Re: Ed_Morris]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
Well, Ed, Matt and I are two of the more prominent practitioners of AKK on this forum. And we do care about the lineage of the style, which is part of the reason we both got out of AKK, just too much politics over who was taught by who.

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga