FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#202975 - 11/09/05 02:28 PM Re: Alternative health [Re: harlan]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

thats an excellent point harlan...it's good to know not only the current practice but the history of it's practice to give a full perspective before dismissing it.

Budoc, thanks for sharing. Anything involving fire seems inherently more dangerous than a swab of cotton....thats just me though.

#202976 - 11/09/05 02:37 PM Re: Alternative health [Re: BuDoc]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
You rang, Page?

*Joel walks in with bicycle tire pump sticking out of his ear.*

#202977 - 11/09/05 02:58 PM Re: Alternative health [Re: BuDoc]
BuDoc Offline
The doctor will see you now

Loc: USA and Abroad
I almost forgot about Chiropractic.

lets start with the subjective and move to the objective.

Did you ever meet anyone, who as a child, wanted to be a Chiropractor? I haven't either.

The profession is filled with guys that couldn't get into Medical School so they tried Dental School. Then Vetinary School. And then (So they could still be addressed as "Doctor") they found that they could be Chiropractors.

Here is the rub. They apply the title of Doctor to the pseudo science of subluxation and the theory that proper alignment can alleveiate disease processes, and sell it(not cheaply) to the general public.

Chiropractic has no standard of care, no randomized prospectives, no treatment thresh-holds. The entire practice is gray and completely subjective.

I had a patient years ago who had some really bad hip and lower back pain. Went to four different chiropractors(recommendations from family and friend) received four complete work-ups, with all the associated bending and popping and four sets of x-rays. The guy also got three different diagnosis. When the pain became unbearable, after 7 or 8 successive chiropractic treatments he came to me. He had diverticulitis When he returned to his Chiropractor (with full relief) and told him he had been treated for diverticulitis, the quack told him that he could have treated him for that. Treated it?? HE DIDN'T EVEN FIND IT!!

Go to a chiropractor,or several with a specific set of problems. Odds are you will get multiple and varying treatment regimens. Without even an accurate diagnosis, you are going to be treated daily/weekly/monthly for the rest of your life!! You break your arm and walk into my ER or any other ER. We know your arm is gonna heal in 8 weeks, barring any co-morbidity.

Many Chiropractors I know advise not immunizing children. I thought these were isolated incidences of malpractice until it happened to a family member of mine and some others that I knew personally. I then realized how wide spread it is.

The theory is that subluxation and manipulation improve the immunity and children do not need to be immunized.

Are there any parents here, anyone, with infants or small children, that would forgo immunization for subluxation/manipulation Didn't think so!

The list goes on and on.

You would do better to have a good family doctor, a physical therapist that can help with occasional mobility issues and a good massage therapist.

Page

#202978 - 11/09/05 03:00 PM Re: Alternative health [Re: Ed_Morris]
BuDoc Offline
The doctor will see you now

Loc: USA and Abroad
Well you are supposed to let a professional do it, not someone like Kintama!

#202979 - 11/09/05 03:22 PM Re: Alternative health [Re: BuDoc]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
I have to agree with Page on this one. No standardization, no double blind testing to show empirical evidence for efficacy of treatment.

Theory without evidence is just that. But people buy many things on faith. Perhaps in certain cases there is something to a part of Chiopractic, but I sure would like some independent, disinterested, repeatable studies done.

I had gone to one Chiropractor once and he had some vague BS literature describing how his treatment could help with allergies. Now, if there was some way cracking a joint can help me with a hystamine reaction, please explain this in real terms.

-B

#202980 - 11/09/05 03:52 PM Re: Alternative health [Re: BuDoc]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

It's a fact that Chiropractors are not MD's, nor are they licenced as such. However, they refer to themselves with a 'Dr.' title so it kindof 'innocently' or passively fools people. not sure what the legal loopholes are there. Then again, 'doctor' just means someone has obtained a doctorate...it says nothing about their profession.
2 yrs undergrad. college = Associate
2 yrs undergrad college = Baccalaureate
2 yrs grad college = Master
2+ yrs post grad = Doctor

'doctor' in latin just means 'teacher'....it's not suppossed to mean 'entitled to give medical advice', but many think of that title as meaning just that.

p.s. side note: haven't read this yet, but since it's on topic I'll mention it here...
"Junk Science Judo : Self-Defense against Health Scares and Scams"
by Steven J. Milloy

#202981 - 11/09/05 06:33 PM Re: Alternative health [Re: Ed_Morris]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
My sister came down when I was sick with her homeopathy kit. She stuffed me full of different little concoctions!! It tastes terrible and didn't do a darn thing. She also loaded me down with mangosteen and nani juice,also tastes awful and doesn't do anything.It's ashame people have duped her into believing in that garbage. Maybe it didn't work because my house wasn't feng shuei!!

#202982 - 11/09/05 08:42 PM Re: Alternative health [Re: BrianS]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

still, it probably felt good to know she cares...got to be worth some placebo effect.
---------------------------------
tidbit:
36% of U.S. adults Use Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
http://nccam.nih.gov/news/2004/052704.htm

#202983 - 11/09/05 08:45 PM Re: Alternative health [Re: Ed_Morris]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

still, it probably felt good to know she cares...got to be worth some placebo effect.
---------------------------------
tidbit:
36% of U.S. adults Use Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
http://nccam.nih.gov/news/2004/052704.htm

That was the most important part to me. I wouldn't have taken that crap for a stranger!!

#202984 - 11/09/05 08:54 PM Re: Alternative health [Re: BuDoc]
spectrum Offline

Loc: montana
Quote:

My experience with ear candling really had nothing to due with sucking out bad energy.

It was really more of a safe mechanical effect.

The candles, and they look like cones, burn down and actually suck cerumen(ear wax) out into the bottom of the cone.

It is somewhat unorthodox, and hardly ever used, but much safer than digging in your ear with a Q-tip or pen top or car key or any other odd thing (I'm sure MattJ and Joel will come up with something).

Page

I got suckered on this one.
My ears were plugged and I made it worse with the Q-tips so a freind suggested the ear candles. After the first try I knew this is bull and checked on line. Ear candling has NO mechanical effect and IS potentaly dangerous. Ear drops and time worked.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga