FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 50 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Matakiant 3
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
Martial News
by Matakiant
Today at 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Martial News
by Matakiant
Today at 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35576 Topics
432496 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 13 of 19 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#20351 - 08/27/04 09:29 AM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
White

When Lee was training in Hong Kong he was a child.

No older than mid teens when his "street fights" took place.

#20352 - 08/27/04 09:30 AM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
DragonFire1134 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Theodore (mobile), Alabama
[QUOTE]Originally posted by whitelotusfist:
Did bruce lee ever fight in the ring, i heard he may have fought some full contact matches in hong kong, late 60's or in 1970. Cant remember the exaxt details now.
Anyone heard this?

[/QUOTE]

He never fought in the ring. He does have some full contact fights under his belt though, as told from those who witneseed them. Now when he was younger and mixed up with gangs they used to get on hong kong rooftops and go all out, with certain rules in place of course. This was before he came to america, though...I'd say about 1940's--1950's. They were just kids then.

#20353 - 08/27/04 12:46 PM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
Anonymous
Unregistered

did he ever enter any semi contact or points sparring comps?
Cheers WLF

#20354 - 08/27/04 01:08 PM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chen Zen:
Exactly my point. And for the record, no I would not train under someone I can beat. If I can beat you its because your technique is flawed and I do not intend to add flawed technique to my training regimen.[/QUOTE]

Chen, this is surpisingly one demensional thinking coming from you. What if the reason you are able to "beat" me is simply because I am aging? There is a paradox here. Do you think that a 17 year old Bruce Lee thought the same about the elderly Yip Man? There is a point, and this is inescapable for each of us, that our insights and understanding begins to eclipse our physical ability.

- KiDoHae [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/cool.gif[/IMG]

#20355 - 08/27/04 01:24 PM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
DragonFire1134 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Theodore (mobile), Alabama
[QUOTE]Originally posted by whitelotusfist:
did he ever enter any semi contact or points sparring comps?
Cheers WLF
[/QUOTE]

No and no.

#20356 - 08/27/04 06:49 PM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is all irrelevant considering that Bruce Lee is no longer among the living.
Who cares whether or not he could or could not fight it doesn't apply to us.
We can't prove anything anyway. Who nows who he fought, like everyone has said a bunch of times theres no record of it, I mean I read that he beat the crap out of chuck Norris but does that make it true? No, so who really cares.

#20357 - 08/27/04 07:43 PM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
reaperblack Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
I never heard that he beat chuck Norris but chuck norris has said that they used to spar quite regularly, the validity of this claim, who knows. Bruce Lee was a philosopher who raised some good points about body mechanics, training, conditioning, and stealing from other styles. He had some good ideas. He's not alive to teach his fighting style to anyone anymore so what's the difference. If you take jeet kune do or Jun Fan you are learning someone elses interpretation of what Bruce Lee intended anyway. The same as any martial art. What matters is how good is your teacher, and how hard do you train. At present I train with someone that I may or may not be able to beat, but everyday he teaches me something that I find valuable to my style, not his style, mine. Steal as many candies as you can children and then someday you may find a box!

#20358 - 08/28/04 02:14 AM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote :its extremely rare, be good at fighting without fighting.

just because its rare doesnt mean it wont happen people werent supposed to be as smart as eignenstien but he was real beasides M.A. isnt for fighting you inbred hicks its a frame of mind like when you go to boot camp they tear you down phisycly and emotionally and basicly rebuild you from the ground up so hardwork+hard thought= what intellegent people call a higher state of thinking so you dont even have to fight...........beasides JKD was made to adapt in any fighting situation like water in a glass the water addapts to the glass not the oter way around.

#20359 - 08/28/04 04:53 AM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
MuayThai Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ghosteo4:
quote :its extremely rare, be good at fighting without fighting.

just because its rare doesnt mean it wont happen people werent supposed to be as smart as eignenstien but he was real beasides M.A. isnt for fighting you inbred hicks its a frame of mind like when you go to boot camp they tear you down phisycly and emotionally and basicly rebuild you from the ground up so hardwork+hard thought= what intellegent people call a higher state of thinking so you dont even have to fight...........beasides JKD was made to adapt in any fighting situation like water in a glass the water addapts to the glass not the oter way around.
[/QUOTE]

Martial Arts isnt for fighting you inbred hicks? lol. Ok just like learning alanguage isnt for speaking...

...what crap are you on about? Martial Arts was created by people to defend themselves and attack! I mean Whenever someone throws a punch to another human does that mean they are fighting.

Frame of mind. Ok if thats why you do Martial Arts then good for you. Maybe you should take up knitting!

#20360 - 08/28/04 02:10 PM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
[QUOTE]Originally posted by KiDoHae:
Chen, this is surpisingly one demensional thinking coming from you. What if the reason you are able to "beat" me is simply because I am aging? There is a paradox here. Do you think that a 17 year old Bruce Lee thought the same about the elderly Yip Man? There is a point, and this is inescapable for each of us, that our insights and understanding begins to eclipse our physical ability.

- KiDoHae [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/cool.gif[/IMG]

[/QUOTE]

An old post that I have grown beyond. However, Let me say this: If I walk into a dojo and there is an instructor around my age and physical health, and I beat him easily, how could I not blame his technique? Be it his footwork, timing, striking or defense, its all technical ability. Sure I have an avantage over a senior martial artist in my strength but he has an advantage in skill. or should. I believe that skill overrides power. Power without proper skill is nothing, whereas skill alone can mean everything.

Besides that I have grown beyond the need for instruction, as I do not believe in one WAY. There is no complete system so why have an instructor who would teach me something incomplete? Thats not to say that I wont spend a little time with skilled practitioners to learn certain aspects of fighting that I feel are a good contribution to my own, but this amount of time doesnt constitute me being called their "Student".

Page 13 of 19 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 19 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga