FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 19 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#20281 - 02/06/04 08:07 PM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bruce used his Wing Chun to help the triads?

[This message has been edited by Shotokan (edited 02-06-2004).]

#20282 - 02/06/04 08:28 PM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bruce was part of a gang, sorry i should of specified,,, Not Triads. It was a small group, only six or eight members. It was not a big thing, they fought on roof tops.

#20283 - 02/06/04 08:32 PM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bruce was part of a gang, not the Triads. It was a six or eight member gang that fought on roof tops in Hong Kong.

#20284 - 02/09/04 09:01 AM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
kobun

Sorry man, whatever he may have done as a teen-ager (please check his date of birth and when he started training in Wing Chuan)

It is not good support for his fighting ability.

We also have guys that trained with him in "the old days" in Wing Chuan that say he lost a number of fights as well.

So are we now to think that the guys that beat him as a kid are "better fighters than Bruce Lee" that they are "the man that beat Bruce Lee"

#20285 - 02/11/04 07:28 PM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I didn't check the dates, but this author haschecked all the data. Although some aspects could be hard to verify. Yes as a teen he was beat many times, a matter a fact his mother wanted him to move to the states due to all the fights. As for the other teens who won vs him, I have no data to verify how good they became as time passed. In this book the author Bruce Thomas also talks about many others who witnessed Bruces power. In fact they comment that he could not go all out against someone for fear of injuries to others.

#20286 - 02/11/04 08:40 PM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Being a follower of JKD, whatever Lee could or couldn't do isn't important. JKD isn't about Lee anyway, but about the individual. It's more important about what *I* can do, in other words.

I don't know about Lee's abilities. It's all hearsay. What IS known is that Lee was an extremely hard worker and trained constantly, especially within Wing Chun. He couldn't have been a "tomato can", if you know what I mean. But again, it's really irrelevent in the grand scheme of things. At least for me it is.

-John

#20287 - 02/13/04 09:22 PM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
Anonymous
Unregistered

To answer the thread, one of Bruces great freinds said of a conflict where Bruce won the fight, but was winded. He realised then that 1) he had to train like a fighter, 2) that some of the moves & techniques he knew were in fact to classical. Thus I would have to conclude that he created a fighting art.

#20288 - 02/14/04 12:15 AM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
MuayThai Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bruce Lee:
If there were so many people who could KO him quickly then where were they when he had his world wide challange where he would fight ANYONE, anywhere, under any rule. Do you see my point.

I can say with confidence that if Bruce were to fight someone his size, he would win.
[/QUOTE]

No, Bruce may have offered a challenge but not all ears heard it and I am sure not many really cared about it either..... What i am saying is there are a couple of big countries that spawn some of the worlds greatest ever fighters, that is not an understatement, when i say great I mean bloody great.... its daft to think Bruce was "the best", there was way better then and even now! WAY BETTER!!! I say quick KO and I mean quick KO.

I can say with confidence that if Bruce were to fight a fighter of my choice and also the fighter of my choice was giving Bruce a weight advantage I reckon Bruce would get KO'd! simple.

#20289 - 02/14/04 07:36 AM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Well, it's really all speculative isn't it? Lee's abilities are also irrelevent to JKD and the individual practitioner in the same way that Dave Schultz's ability in wrestling is irrelevent to MY wrestling ability.

Aside from all that, JKD isn't an 'art' so much as it is a philosophy which governs one's training.

-John

#20290 - 02/14/04 10:04 AM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JKogas:
Well, it's really all speculative isn't it? Lee's abilities are also irrelevent to JKD and the individual practitioner in the same way that Dave Schultz's ability in wrestling is irrelevent to MY wrestling ability.

Aside from all that, JKD isn't an 'art' so much as it is a philosophy which governs one's training.

-John
[/QUOTE]

Kogas, but isn't that what an art better suited for individualized training. In karate we learn kata not to learn a preset curriculum of fighting combinations, but to learn the principles of body movement and power generation when fighting. These include but are not limited to intercepting attacks before they reach full extension, covering the centerline of you body, maintaining balance, keeping you elbows in, tucking you chin, how to best manipulate joints, not overextending yourself when attacking, how to use body weight and momentum when attacking and still maintaining you balance and using the ground for stability, etc. I think the key to art is expression. Learning principles and then applying them to your own body type, mental state, intentions when fighting, etc. is what an "art" is all about. Actually I think an "art" allows for greater variety and unpredictability when fighting. A philosophy is actually more rigid. One can prove or disprove a philosophy, but if you change a philosophy it becomes different. Therefore, it is harder to stick to one philosophy while training than an "art". An "art" allows for true expression of oneself just like in music, painting, literature, etc. A philosophy simply covers a particular aspect as seen from a particular point of view. However, an art encompasses anything the mind can conceive of in an area. Of course somethings are effective and somethings are not, but once those effective fighting methods are isolated then it is up to the individual to customize their fighting style to fit them as a unique person, not just a carbon copy of everybody else. I think an art allows for this where simply sticking to one man's philosophy is restrictive on certain levels. That is unless the philosophy encourages artistic expression in the same way the "art" of karate does.

Page 6 of 19 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18 19 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga