FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#202915 - 01/01/06 09:42 PM Re: Kungfu works [Re: syntrax]
kyokushinkai Offline

Loc: Prince Edward Island , Canada
I didn't really read all of the replies they were all so long, but anyway I think that the reason kids in your school and my school and most of the popluation think that these things dont work is because of all the kung fu and karate movies.. you know the ones where they jump a hundred feet in the air while beating the hell out of hundreds of opponents. It's things like that and all of the claims all over the internet that say punch like a jackhammer in a week learn ancient kung fu death technigues and so on. I think its that that ruined them.

#202916 - 01/02/06 03:31 AM Re: Kungfu works [Re: syntrax]
VigilanteSilver Offline

Loc: Location, Location!
Karate and Kung-fu are both effective fighting techniques, but half the beauty of being a martial artist is developing the guile and grace to not have to use your training to begin with. People sometimes think that it's a waste, but I for one used to get in fist fights over silly things in high school before I started kung fu, and now I avoid confrontations based on the fact that I have learned to carry myself with my head high without looking down my nose at people. With the correct mixture of good training, practice, respect, and confidence, any fighting style can be effective.

#202917 - 01/04/06 12:08 AM Re: Kungfu works [Re: syntrax]
BaguaMonk Offline

Loc: DALLAS TX BABY
Its PURE ignorance on people's part to say that TMA's don't work, at all...This comes from people who see movies, and think thats how you really use kung fu, from MMA's who submitted some junior without hardly any real fight experience etc. There is a VERY realistic side to TMA's, and its PAIN.

One of my classmates in my xingyi class did Hung Gar for 20 years, when they sparred, they sparred for REAL. Sometimes breaking eachothers arms when doing the direct counter (aka instead of blocking limb, you strike it). I would never want to get hit by him, strongest man I've ever met. Even in KARATE people used to train hardcore, even my TKD teacher was hardcore. They would spar full contact, let 18 wheelers run over stomachs, etc. (not that that matters, at all).

They don't exist now because of how DEGRADAED these arts have become both in US AND in China. Over here its commercialized, over there its wushu, and caters to tourists alot.

To say that these arts don't work, is IGNORANCE. Its like people who tried some fancy technique from some old kung fu movie in real life one time, got their ass beat, and came up with the half-assed conclusion that kung fu doesn't work, its just ridiculous.

#202918 - 01/25/06 11:18 PM Re: Kungfu works [Re: BaguaMonk]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Next time they say martial arts don't work say" Prove it or screw off you little pissant!" lol Well maybe you shouldn't say that.

Edited by Stormdragon (01/25/06 11:39 PM)
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#202919 - 01/27/06 05:20 PM Re: Kungfu works [Re: Stormdragon]
Guy Offline

Loc: Indiana USA
Quote:

Next time they say martial arts don't work say" Prove it or screw off you little pissant!" lol

When you see someone talking in this vain, them saying martial arts don't work or them trying to say what you are doing is impossible, it's a sure bet they are Mc Dojoites. In other words, someone who is a native or inhabitant of a Mc Dojo.

Guy

#202920 - 01/27/06 07:00 PM Re: Kungfu works [Re: Guy]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
I used to work in Tech Support for a number of years. One time, when I was called out to a client who was complaining that her monitor didn't work. It was working one minute and the next minute the screen went blank.

First thing I did was check that all the cables were connected, and lo and behold, the power cord wasn't plugged in. Turned out the cleaners had come round earlier and vaccuumed under her desk, and in the process, must have dislodged the power cord from the mains.

Saying that something doesn't work and therefore is useless is kinda like saying my computer screen went blank, so the monitor must be dead, and therefore time to throw it out.

Whereas, the question that should be asked is "why didn't that work?", and the followup question of course is "how do I fix it?".

#202921 - 01/27/06 08:22 PM Re: Kungfu works [Re: eyrie]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Agreed!

Happened to my TV set. I tried pushing the button and nothing happened. Got really mad, when after a moment I looked behind the TV and the power cable was out.

Nowadays, I try to think before coming to decisions such as "this is useless because it doesn't work".

-Taison out

#202922 - 01/28/06 01:53 PM Re: Kungfu works [Re: Taison]
Guy Offline

Loc: Indiana USA
For me, figuring out how to make it work is the most interesting part of the martial arts. Especially the more exotic techniques of Chinese Martial Arts.

I believe if you want to be top level you have to be your own muscularity engineer. Exotic techniques requires exotic muscularity engineering. In the martial arts the end justifies the means.

Because I usually work out by myself, talking about training techniques is what I want to do the most. But before I get into that I want to have videos posted of myself to show the end result of my training. Then I can talk about how I did it.

I think it would be really cool if other people here posted videos of what they are talking about too. In this way we can compete against each other in forms competition no matter where on earth we are at. This would also make it easier to help each other out by giving training suggestions to make our forms even more perfect.

No matter what, as soon as I get a digital movie camera, I will be posting videos of myself and will discuss what I am doing, why I am doing it, and how I did it here and hope that others will follow suit. And if I am the only one who will do it, at least I found a really cool way to stay really motivated.

Guy

#202923 - 02/12/06 08:49 AM Re: Kungfu works [Re: Guy]
lau_gar_master Offline

kunfu does work im living proof. I was walking around school chating to some other students when this punk walks up and starts threatening me and my mates then he goes to hit me and i quickly slip in a side kick to knock him back and he runs off.

#202924 - 02/12/06 09:24 AM Re: Kungfu works [Re: syntrax]
ShaolinNinja Offline
hates silicone bubishi

Loc: Ireland
Quote:

Many people in my high school say that kung-fu and karate doesnt work and they are all lies and i just wanted to know that do they work if u fight someone and can u win if u use them??

Are the people who say this any good at them?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga