FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#202905 - 11/29/05 02:41 PM Re: Kungfu works [Re: etaks86]
funstick5000 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: West Yorkshire, England
i see what you're saying here but don't think that just because someone will practice a wide arcing movement with a flowery name will use it on the street. anyone with any common sense in a tma isn't going to do some large movements, they'll stick with the most trained basic blocks, punches and kicks they know best that are locked into muscle memory.

oh and kickboxing is based on karate i beleive, they just don't train the more complex moves in the kyu grades the way some karates might. i don't think i'm wrong in saying that wushu wasn't intended for the street but it can work as you said. tai chi is also very powerful, they may practise slowly but its prety well known that they move quickly when they need to, it just takes time to get there.

you need to remember that you have your whole life ahead of you.

#202906 - 12/28/05 03:55 PM Re: Kungfu works [Re: funstick5000]
kronin Offline

Loc: Costa Rica
I remember teaching some young people self defense moves. These were really deadly moves that could break people´s spines and things. Some of them said that the moves wouldn´t work because they would just pull away as I was about to break their neck. I commented that I wouldn´t be doing it in slow motion, I wouldn´t be telling them what move I was doing and I wouldn´t be doing it gently if I was really defending myself.

The truth is that these arts were designed to hurt and maim people. Someone who is trying to show off with Kung Fu sparring with a boxer or something is not really using the art in the correct way. Someone who is trying to street fight without just ending it by destroying their apponent is not using the art the right way.

The truth is that you don´t fight once you learn these things unless their is no other option. When that is the case you go for broke and hope you don´t end up in jail.

#202907 - 12/28/05 05:44 PM Re: Kungfu works [Re: kronin]
Guy Offline

Loc: Indiana USA
I notice that the most devastating techniques are really quite simple to do and don't require much skill. But it require a high level of skill from the martial artist to end a fight with a submission technique. I think submission techniques are the best way to go.

Guy

#202908 - 12/29/05 06:27 AM Re: Kungfu works [Re: Guy]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
What do you do after the guy has submitted?

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#202909 - 12/29/05 03:10 PM Re: Kungfu works [Re: trevek]
Guy Offline

I let him go.

Guy

#202910 - 12/29/05 03:40 PM Re: Kungfu works [Re: Guy]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

How far do you let him go before you turn your back on him?

#202911 - 12/29/05 04:47 PM Re: Kungfu works [Re: trevek]
Guy Offline

Quote:

I use joint locks to be merciful. Just as a Tai Chi swordsmen would rather cut off his opponents sword hand thumb so he can never wield a sword again rather then killing him.

If he wants more of me, I will apply the next lock much more roughly. Any joint lock carried to the extreme can be used to destroy that joint you know. If you end a fight with a joint lock, they might not like it, but they will get over it. If on the other hand you end a fight by creating a permanent disability, then they will never get over it and will seek revenge against you the first chance they can get. Only they will use a gun against you the next time since you have proven they can't beat you without one.

One time I got in a fight in a park with two people at once. I was standing in water at the edge of a river when it happen. Once person tried to punch me, I dodged it and punched him back knocking him out, most of his body was laying in the river with his head and shoulder out of the water laying on the bank. I saw he wasn't going to drown so I went back at the other person again, but when he saw what I did to the first guy he didn't want anything to do with me. When the person I knocked out came to, I was watching him to make sure he won’t attack me again, but I saw him just go and stand in the back of the crowd that was watching us to see what I was going to do the other guy.

The person who chicken out of fighting me was a bigger person then me; he was a very disrespectful person to everyone. The very next day one of the people who was watching and saw what a wimp he was beat him up very bad, kicking him in the head with steel toe boots and all.

The point here is it has been my experience that when you demonstrate how you have the ability to do anything you want to them and they are powerless to stop you they will leave you alone. Bullies don't like to hassle with people who can beat them up.

Guy

#202912 - 12/29/05 04:52 PM Re: Kungfu works [Re: Guy]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Guy,

thanks, it was an interesting illustration. I have never (touchwood) been in that position, but I always wonder what I was supposed to do with someone once I got them in a hold if I didn't think they'd be nice when I let them go.

TREV:-)

#202913 - 12/30/05 12:35 AM Re: Kungfu works [Re: trevek]
Subedei Offline

I dunno what your schoolmates are trying to say here - Kung Fu and Karate are extremely general terms. Are they trying to say asians don't know how to fight? What's next, black people can't read? That's just as absurd a statement.

Just what do they think is effective in combat? Stuff they made up? Tell them most Kung Fu techniques were developed by the Chinese military, who, unlike them, are actually adults. Many nations(most nations if I'm not mistaken) teach fighting techniques very similar to Kung Fu and Karate, some are even derived from systems of Kung Fu and Karate.

#202914 - 12/30/05 11:53 AM Re: Kungfu works [Re: Guy]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: kokokokokoko
Quote:

Quote:

I use joint locks to be merciful. Just as a Tai Chi swordsmen would rather cut off his opponents sword hand thumb so he can never wield a sword again rather then killing him.

If he wants more of me, I will apply the next lock much more roughly. Any joint lock carried to the extreme can be used to destroy that joint you know. If you end a fight with a joint lock, they might not like it, but they will get over it. If on the other hand you end a fight by creating a permanent disability, then they will never get over it and will seek revenge against you the first chance they can get. Only they will use a gun against you the next time since you have proven they can't beat you without one.

One time I got in a fight in a park with two people at once. I was standing in water at the edge of a river when it happen. Once person tried to punch me, I dodged it and punched him back knocking him out, most of his body was laying in the river with his head and shoulder out of the water laying on the bank. I saw he wasn't going to drown so I went back at the other person again, but when he saw what I did to the first guy he didn't want anything to do with me. When the person I knocked out came to, I was watching him to make sure he won’t attack me again, but I saw him just go and stand in the back of the crowd that was watching us to see what I was going to do the other guy.

The person who chicken out of fighting me was a bigger person then me; he was a very disrespectful person to everyone. The very next day one of the people who was watching and saw what a wimp he was beat him up very bad, kicking him in the head with steel toe boots and all.

The point here is it has been my experience that when you demonstrate how you have the ability to do anything you want to them and they are powerless to stop you they will leave you alone. Bullies don't like to hassle with people who can beat them up.

Guy

Ah, the young folks. They likes their stories!
Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts. Note: The Signature feature is currently not enabled by this bulletin board's administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga