FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (MattJ), 67 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
Jeff_G 1
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#202895 - 11/13/05 10:37 AM Re: Kungfu works [Re: butterfly]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Quote:

etaks,

Woah! Please put some capitals, clear sentences and some paragraph breaks in your posts.

Reading what you just wrote is like looking at the ingredients list on a bottle of cleaing solution.

-B

Yes, my eyes hurt

#202896 - 11/14/05 06:31 AM Re: Kungfu works [Re: Supremor]
BaguaMonk Offline

Loc: DALLAS TX BABY
Yes it can work. As many of us have said, its all about the person it molds you into, and wether your able to react naturally in a fight-or flight (freeze) situation. Its not about the pre-set techniques embedded into your muscle memory, its about being natural and calm (being able to react).

#202897 - 11/24/05 02:32 PM Re: Kungfu works [Re: Supremor]
etaks86 Offline

perhaps you two just are not good readers. i had no problem reading it but that's just me. but it seems you used my bad writting as an excuse to pay no attention to the importantance of my post and well that's sad. so i wish you all the best and hope that tma's work for you.

#202898 - 11/27/05 02:43 PM Re: Kungfu works [Re: etaks86]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Of course you could read it, you knew what was in it!

I thought it interesting but I too found it hard to read. I have to teach students to use paragraphs etc and one of the reasons is just that.

Don't forget, these are only small letters.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#202899 - 11/27/05 02:56 PM Re: Kungfu works [Re: etaks86]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

I don't understand why you have this idea that TMA never change. If you look at the continuing amount of 'new' styles in Karate, KF, TKD, JJ et al then it is obvious such things are evolving. Even if you look at old photos of things like Shotokan or Judo, you find that stances and positions have changed over 50 years.

Low stances have their uses but you need to know when to use them. If you have just thrown someone and his mate comes for you, you might find yourself needing to adopt a low based stance (for instance).

The thing is many of the arts we now practice have been stripped down and simplified and now people are trying to find out things that have been lost because of the stripping down. In many cases this is where cross-training comes in, trying to fill in gaps which a system may have once had.

Finally, it is not a case of tailoring an art for SD, it is about training in that art with SD in mind.

#202900 - 11/27/05 10:27 PM Re: Kungfu works [Re: syntrax]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Quote:

Many people in my high school say that kung-fu and karate doesnt work

Equally many people came and challenged my old Sifu[now deceased], all left with a sore limb.

Seriously, is there no one out there that believes that Gong-fu can injure people?

As for Karate, I personally have had the breath punched outta me. One punch, and I do have a strong Abdomen, and I was down. Imagine a MT guy on the floor trying to breath. That's what happened to me.

-Taison out

#202901 - 11/28/05 03:34 AM Re: Kungfu works [Re: Taison]
phoenixsflame Offline

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
I've practiced both Gung-Fu/Kung-Fu/Gong-Fu (truthfully, I'm not sure how to spell it. So uhm... Whichever one! Heh.)and Karate.

I can honestly say both work equally well.

As my previous Sifu said. "A living thing must adapt and change, grow and shed dead cells. This is the same with martial arts."

A traditional martial art, Gung-Fu, Baqua, Tai-Qi, Karate... All of these things have evolved from one thing to another. They didn't just appear out of no where... Shira-Te and Naha-te are just two of the fighting stylings that created Karate... I don't know the background of the Chinese arts but I know they didn't just appear.

And I agree Etak, please break up the paragraph a little. Its helps to get your point across if you give it a professional or at least cleaner appearance. Makes it much easier for the person to read, and understand.

I think the people who say that TMA's don't work are the ones who don't understand the basis of their function isn't to suddenly become a fighting machine after 5 months... But, some people won't be happy with that.

Thats why there are McDojo's.

#202902 - 11/28/05 05:52 PM Re: Kungfu works [Re: syntrax]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Syntrax

Many people in high school say all kinds of stupid and ignorant things.

Mainly because they are still in high school--not the most stable of times if memory serves.

Its as good a time as any however to decide to do things you enjoy despite what the crowd "says."

Does karate and kung fu work?

Of course they do--unless you run into someone better.

Edited by cxt (11/28/05 05:53 PM)

#202903 - 11/29/05 03:19 AM Re: Kungfu works [Re: cxt]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

If they're better and they also do KF/Karate then can we say KF/Karate don't work?

#202904 - 11/29/05 11:07 AM Re: Kungfu works [Re: syntrax]
imcrazy Offline
cereal killer

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Quote:

Many people in my high school say that kung-fu and karate doesnt work and they are all lies

Here is a general statement that any ignorant person will say about any martial art, or even anything else that they don't have a clue about. Its just talk, and as they say talk is cheap. Just ignore it.

These type of statements will also be made by ignorant practitioners of different arts that feel your art is inferior because of their own ignorance of it. You can try to argue with these people but most of the time it will be impossible to get across to them b/c they have convinced themselves that they are right and you are wrong. Usually its better to leave it. After all you shouldn't be taking your art to impress people, but for your own personal development and enjoyment. In other words it really doesn't matter what they think and say as it should have no effect on you or your training and only shows their inability to accept the world around them, and learn new things. In the end they are the only ones losing.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga