FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 5
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#20231 - 01/17/04 12:07 AM Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
I have been recently been reading a lot of articles about Bruce Lee by Joe Lewis. In his interviews he states that in all of their training he never sparred with Bruce once. He also stated that most of Bruce Lee's training did not consist of actual sparring but mainly drills and theory and he was really not a "fighter." Given the fact that Bruce Lee has no professional fight record I really see no reason to discount what Lewis says in these interviews. He then goes on to say that even one of Bruce Lee's best students, Dan Inosanto, is not a fighter and did not practice much sparing either. This is certainly not the way I have seen both Bruce Lee and JKD portrayed. It is just confusing to me because I thought the whole point of JKD was to create an effective way to fight where classical martial arts were not effective. But how can the founder of such an art not base his training and research on his own experiences in actual fighting. I was wondering if anybody else has thoughts on this subject.

#20232 - 01/17/04 03:42 AM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
joesixpack Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Australia
Did Jow Lewis ever challenge Mr Lee?

Someone with that level of fitness, speed and timing is dangerous.

Not a pro fighter, but who would want to fight Mr Lee (when he was alive) in a non controlled environment? Not me.

You can tell if people can fight by the way they move, hit, etc in training. Bruce was one of them.

Benny the Jet may be an "old man" now, but I wouldn't break into his house...

Lee probably trained nearly entirely on specifocs once he got so good.

#20233 - 01/17/04 05:10 AM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
MuayThai Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
[QUOTE]Originally posted by joesixpack:
You can tell if people can fight by the way they move, hit, etc in training. Bruce was one of them.

[/QUOTE]

wow! sorry Joe but that is very very wrong. Its usually people who look good in training but have never fought who look like crap when actually fighting.... training and fighting are worlds apart mate and to be honest there are lots of perfect techniques in training, fighting is a very different thing....

....if Bruce does have a low fight record, if the man had no experience fighting then i would agree and say he is just a fit individual who knows martial arts.

You need to fight to be good at fighting, you cannot, or its extremely rare, be good at fighting without fighting.

#20234 - 01/17/04 07:03 AM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Bruce never DID compile a competitive fight record. Bruce was a genius and a philosopher more so than a fighter, although many do contend that he did in fact spar, and would spar all out.

I doubt he sparred with Lewis. Lewis WAS a fighter and a champ. Lee was a movie star. My thinking has it that Lee's status as a martial arts movie star wasn't to be compromised by sparring with anyone who might beat him. That's pretty much the case with all martial arts movie stars -- they rarely ever seem to fight anyone (or spar). Don Wilson was an exception, although he wasn't much of a movie star either.

Just some thoughts

-John

#20235 - 01/17/04 01:18 PM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
ninja-raiden Offline
Enthusiast

I think that Bruce's understanding of martial arts would make him an extremely deadly fighter i.e. he knows what works.

#20236 - 01/17/04 02:55 PM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
Anonymous
Unregistered

What made Lee amazing was his training methods...running what 6 miles a day, weight lifting...heavy bag training, Wing Chung dummy training etc...

In terms of the art he form JKD (his JKD has feats ony he could do e.g sliding side kicks) and so the techniques he choose would only work for him and would not necessarily work for anyone else...

I understand that each JKD fighter has to for his own art...using the principles Bruce layed out...

Bruce was Chinese and he was influenced by Chinese philosophy.

In Bhuddism (a religion that influence the original arts) you are encouraged to read what is written in the holy book, think about it and see if it is true in your life. If you don't agree with it you leave it and move on to another reading.

This is the principle behind JKD you look at an art and see if it is useful. If it is not useful you leave it...

Therefore what is useful to me will not be useful to you...it depends on personal attributes like opinions, knowledge level etc.

I don't know JKD but I understand the philosopy...

#20237 - 01/17/04 03:43 PM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
Ender Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
What is a sliding side kick?

#20238 - 01/17/04 03:58 PM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You are standing to my right side,I am standing in horse stance(simpler to explain,not necessary to be in horse stance).I decide I want to kick you, but you are slightly out of range.I slide my left foot over to my right,side kick you with right leg.

#20239 - 01/17/04 04:34 PM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
joesixpack Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Australia
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MuayThai:

wow! sorry Joe but that is very very wrong. Its usually people who look good in training but have never fought who look like crap when actually fighting.... training and fighting are worlds apart mate and to be honest there are lots of perfect techniques in training, fighting is a very different thing....

....if Bruce does have a low fight record, if the man had no experience fighting then i would agree and say he is just a fit individual who knows martial arts.

You need to fight to be good at fighting, you cannot, or its extremely rare, be good at fighting without fighting.
[/QUOTE]

You, kind Sir, are rambling.

#20240 - 01/17/04 06:33 PM Re: Was Bruce Lee a fighter? And did he make JKD to actually be a fighting art?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rambling? Come one JKogas does this all the time....

beside it was JKogas himself who first said that you cannot learn to fight with out fighting...now when someone else says it they are rambling...

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 ... 18 19 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga