FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
ergees 2
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35583 Topics
432511 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#201818 - 11/30/05 07:20 PM Re: can TKD be used to take on mutiple attackers? [Re: BrianS]
LameDojoHater Offline

I wan't told this by anyone. It's just my personal opinion. I was trying to make the point that pressure point techiques will give you a much better chance. Taking someone out with one blow is much more efficent than trying to knock them are via kick/punches to the head.

#201819 - 11/30/05 07:32 PM Re: can TKD be used to take on mutiple attackers? [Re: Yaze]
Alex89 Offline

Loc: Montreal,Quebec,Canada
It would be risky too take on multiple attackers, because if one of them grabs your leg, your're screwed!

#201820 - 11/30/05 07:37 PM Re: can TKD be used to take on mutiple attackers? [Re: Alex89]
Christie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Waterloo, ON
Quote:

It would be risky too take on multiple attackers, because if one of them grabs your leg, your're screwed!

It's risky taking on multiple attackers period, no matter what art you train in.

Never mind that, no matter how good or how long you've been training, its risky taking on one attacker. You never know the circumstances until your in them.

#201821 - 11/30/05 07:39 PM Re: can TKD be used to take on mutiple attackers? [Re: Christie]
LameDojoHater Offline

Quote:

Quote:

It's risky taking on multiple attackers period, no matter what art you train in.

Never mind that, no matter how good or how long you've been training, its risky taking on one attacker. You never know the circumstances until your in them.

No offense but it's really dissapointing to see practitioners doubt their own abilities agianst a single attacker.

#201822 - 11/30/05 07:44 PM Re: can TKD be used to take on mutiple attackers? [Re: LameDojoHater]
Christie Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No offense but it's really dissapointing to see practitioners doubt their own abilities agianst a single attacker.

I'm not doubting my ability, I'm being realistic. Over confidence can end you in places you do not want to be.

I am confident I can adequately defend myself, but I do not walk into the situation with the mindset that I can and will take anybody who attacks me no matter what.

You never know if they are high on drugs, if they take steroids, if they are drunk, if they have a concealed weapon, what their intention is to begin with etc. etc. until you are faced with the situation.

It is extremely naive to think you can take any untrained person anywhere no matter what all the time.

#201823 - 11/30/05 07:54 PM Re: can TKD be used to take on mutiple attackers? [Re: Christie]
LameDojoHater Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not doubting my ability, I'm being realistic. Over confidence can end you in places you do not want to be.

I am confident I can adequately defend myself, but I do not walk into the situation with the mindset that I can and will take anybody who attacks me no matter what.

You never know if they are high on drugs, if they take steroids, if they are drunk, if they have a concealed weapon, what their intention is to begin with etc. etc. until you are faced with the situation.

It is extremely naive to think you can take any untrained person anywhere no matter what all the time.

This was years and years ago, but in the fourth grade I beat up a sixth grader because he was picking on all the fourth graders. I didn't want to take any of his crap and told him to F off. I nailed him in the head with a roundhouse kick. He then tried to grapple me, but I dug my thumb into his voicebox. By the end of it the teacher took him to the priciples office. He had blood in his teeth and was coughing badly. This was over ten years ago, but the guy was twice my size and I won.

Oh yeah, and you'll never get into a bar brawl unless you hang around the bad side of town.

Edit: Martial Arts were designed to be able to take on any average joe, and even multiple attackers. To say that you can't do any of this things is contradictory to the main point of TKD. And please nobody say that it's to stay healthy, and teach values. Sport style TKD is a bastadization of what REAL TKD should be. This is part of the reason why Muiy Tae is gaining ground agianst TKD. A Muiy Tae guy would probably beat most TKD people. (Except for the TKD guys that train seriously by stretching, working out, and full contact sparring a lot.)

Edited by LameDojoHater (11/30/05 08:03 PM)

#201824 - 11/30/05 07:58 PM Re: can TKD be used to take on mutiple attackers? [Re: LameDojoHater]
Christie Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This was years and years ago, but in the fourth grade I beat up a sixth grader because he was picking on all the fourth graders. I didn't want to take any of his crap and told him to F off. I nailed him in the head with a roundhouse kick. He then tried to grapple me, but I dug my thumb into his voicebox. By the end of it the teacher took him to the priciples office. He had blood in his teeth and was coughing badly. This was over ten years ago, but the guy was twice my size and I won.

Oh yeah, and you'll never get into a bar brawl unless you hang around the bad side of town.

That is completely irrelevant, your counter argument proves nothing.

#201825 - 11/30/05 08:13 PM Re: can TKD be used to take on mutiple attackers? [Re: Christie]
LameDojoHater Offline

While you were posting I edited my last post.

Oh and the point of that was to show that you CAN take on a guy twice your size with MA. Notice my SN? It says it all. I hate BBs that can't even perform sidekicks correctly or hold a decent front stance. People that are so slow at kicking, and don't know proper punching technique is sad. It's worse when you have a bad BB teach, because all the other students pick up his sloppyness. If you only show up to class for three years and don't stretch/workout/practice you shouldn't have a BB.

#201826 - 11/30/05 08:23 PM Re: can TKD be used to take on mutiple attackers? [Re: LameDojoHater]
Christie Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Martial Arts were designed to be able to take on any average joe, and even multiple attackers. To say that you can't do any of this things is contradictory to the main point of TKD.

Yes that is true, I never said that you "can't" do any of these things I said it is an incorrect assumption to say that you can do it flawlessly every single time. Sometimes you don't know the person has a weapon until it's pointed at the back of your head or up against your throat. Never underestimate a person high on drugs. Somebody who is drunk can be very violent, have you trained against someone flailing violently with no consideration for their own saftey. Somebody who is under the influence, high on drugs or even just emotionally driven is not going to have a regular threashold of pain, they will not go down as easily as someone who is drug free, sober and weaponless. Now let's multiply all of that and add a few more attackers into the picture. You don't know what they are on, you don't know what their reason is, you don't know who has, what they have and if they have weapons. There are far too many factors to say you can and will always succeed in defending yourself no matter where you are. Martial arts is meant to give you that extra chance of survival, to enable you to fight adequately (and more often then not) for your life. But it is not the final solution, it is just the extra point on your side to aide in your success.

Quote:

And please nobody say that it's to stay healthy, and teach values. Sport style TKD is a bastadization of what REAL TKD should be. This is part of the reason why Muiy Tae is gaining ground agianst TKD. A Muiy Tae guy would probably beat most TKD people. (Except for the TKD guys that train seriously by stretching, working out, and full contact sparring a lot.)

Irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

#201827 - 11/30/05 08:26 PM Re: can TKD be used to take on mutiple attackers? [Re: LameDojoHater]
Christie Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

]Oh and the point of that was to show that you CAN take on a guy twice your size with MA.

It's irrelevant when your example is of children only half way through elementary school, not to mention your actions were not one of a true martial artist (though you were young and did not know any better).

I also never said it was impossible to take on and win against someone twice your size. Technique through training will always be more important then size and strength... but size and strength will always be a factor.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga