FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
LeroyCFischer 1
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
futsaowingchun 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#201798 - 11/08/05 06:22 AM Re: can TKD be used to take on mutiple attackers? [Re: chakuy]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Except when the three assailants are police officers trying to disarm you for carrying an illegal weapon.

Guns aren't foolproof against multiple attackers if you don't know how to use them properly.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#201799 - 11/08/05 08:31 AM Re: can TKD be used to take on mutiple attackers? [Re: BrianS]
b4gu4 Offline

Loc: colorado, USA
Quote:

No style is geared toward "taking on" multiple attackers. If there are several attackers intent on killing you,you are dead,I don't care what style you do. The best advice I can offer would be to stay on your feet and get away as soon as possible.

Hey Brian - I would have to disagree with your statement "No style is geared toward "taking on" multiple attackers." Maybe your comming from and EMA point of view but if you take a look at this site you will see that bagua is designed for said task. http://www.chinesefightingarts.org/chinese_fighting_arts-bagua.htm

Jim
always learning

#201800 - 11/08/05 08:35 AM Re: can TKD be used to take on mutiple attackers? [Re: b4gu4]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

Sorry, I have to ask..What exactly is "tree shaking" and what are the benefits?

#201801 - 11/08/05 10:03 AM Re: can TKD be used to take on mutiple attackers? [Re: JasonM]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
It is possible for TKD to be used against multiple attackers but like any other art, the difficulty more than doubles for each attacker added.

#201802 - 11/08/05 01:20 PM Re: can TKD be used to take on mutiple attackers? [Re: trevek]
chakuy Offline

Is it legal for ten people to jump on one person?? If he doesn’t have a weapon he’s dead!! So I guess every rule has its exceptions right Trevek??

From my experience in guns and how people react towards it, everyone can use a gun all he has to do is shoot one of them!! The rest will be frighten and run off(if there legs could hold them))

#201803 - 11/08/05 03:23 PM Re: can TKD be used to take on mutiple attackers? [Re: chakuy]
TimBlack Offline
Exalted

Loc: UK, Brighton
The best way to take on ten attackers is to turn into a warrior ninja, then use your super martial artist skillz and wikka up their a$$.

If you can't do this, you have a choice: a)run b)die. No offense, but of couse TKD can be _used_, doesn't mean you won't get your head kicked in. Taking on more than 1 person _with_ a weapon is a gamble at the best times, without it's just plain stupid. Forget your martial arts and take up sprinting instead

#201804 - 11/08/05 04:02 PM Re: can TKD be used to take on mutiple attackers? [Re: TimBlack]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Like I said, the Carl Lewis approach.

Chakuy, indeed every rule has its exception. Thing is if you are walking around with flails down your pants (as we've discussed on weapons forum) it suggests you are waiting for the ten guys (or three).

Of course, i don't know what the legal situation is in Jordan. In UK nunchaku are illegal to carry (can't even watch them in Enter the Dragon).

Gun wise, yeah, you're generally right, most folk will run. Still, depends who they are. I do recall the film of the 2 British soldiers getting pulled out of a car in belfast during a funeral. Their first shot scared some people away but it didn't save them in the end.

Mind you, I suppose a Krav Maga guy would have a whole helicopter gunship at his command to obliterate ten attackers!

peace my man!

T:-)

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#201805 - 11/08/05 04:44 PM Re: can TKD be used to take on mutiple attackers? [Re: Yaze]
StormDOA Offline

Loc: Lansing, Mich., USA
Hey there Yaze.
I am currently prepping for my 4th dan test in TKD, my point being is that I am really sold on TKD. But before I did TKD I tried everything, 3 different kinds of karate, Judo, Tang Soo Do, Aikido, Tai Chi and Wing Chun and even some boxing. But what sold me on Traditional TKD is that I believe it is one of the two most effective systems for multiple attackers. Given that, let me climb on my soap box and lecture for a second.

Traditional TKD is often faulted for its ideal techniques. We used to have a series of Kanji on the front of the classes that said among other things "one technique done right will do the job" (very paraphrased obviosly). TKD is supposed to be based on the idea of high power bio-kinetics, in other words alot of power and speed put into a single effective technique. I am sure in some instances that is not true, as I have said before the man not the art decides the worth of a fighter.
So, as i saw it fighting multiple attackers at all would be very difficult, I have 5 times I think where i have fought multiple attackers and have a limited amount of experiance. Multple opponents is so hard because it is not like the movies where it is one person at a time, you really have to be fiierce and smart.
But the basic Idea I thought would be to engage each attacker for a minimum amount of time allowing for you to direct towards another opponent. Thus one blow and a fighter is removed is a good idea I cal lthis minimal engagement.
The other end of that spectrum which I think would work is that maximum or continued engagement. IN other words if yo ucan get a hold of one opponent and use them as a shield or weapon or at the very least an obstacle. An example of that would be a good Aikido artist.

Grappling is great for one on one combat, but has some obvious liabilities if facing more than one opponent.I mean locking one person out or throwing them loses purpose if that guys friend is kicking or grabbing at you. Even quick arm bars and locks take a alot of time.

One other good thing about TKD and multiples is how highly movement based we are in TKD. TKD is also highly cardio basedwhich becomes another factor with endurance, remember if the combat is extended at all you are doing much more than your opponents.
TKD also traditionally emphasizes long techniques, being able to hit a person from farther away is certainly a bonus in combat.

A couple of the weaknesses I percieve in TKD in that situation is the lack of sequencingthat is in TKD and the relativley little experiance we have of what to do when we are taken down to the ground, which is extremely likely in any prolonged combat, more so when facing multiples.
In a post I had JKOGAS and I spoke for a while about how essential it is to be well rounded as a combatantTKD guys learn and practice some ground work, just as i encourage grapplers to learn some quality strikes and incorporate them.

Let me stress that I am not saying that TKD is any more effective than another martial art, schools vary as do instructors and students, I have seen awful TKD schools, but I have also seen crappy schools in all arts. Again it is the man, not the art.

#201806 - 11/08/05 06:38 PM Re: can TKD be used to take on mutiple attackers? [Re: StormDOA]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Quote:

Grappling is great for one on one combat, but has some obvious liabilities if facing more than one opponent.I mean locking one person out or throwing them loses purpose if that guys friend is kicking or grabbing at you. Even quick arm bars and locks take a alot of time.

You would not think this if you'd ever had someone thrown at you.

#201807 - 11/09/05 01:12 AM Re: can TKD be used to take on mutiple attackers? [Re: JasonM]
b4gu4 Offline

Loc: colorado, USA
Quote:

Sorry, I have to ask..What exactly is "tree shaking" and what are the benefits?

Some break boards
Some break ice
Some break concrete blocks
and some shake trees (bigger the better!)

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga