FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
AndyLA 3
GojuRyuboy13 1
log1call 1
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Today at 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Today at 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 14 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#201582 - 02/02/06 03:15 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
VigilanteSilver Offline

Loc: Location, Location!
At my old school we had (emphasis on that word) no less than three of what we less-than-affectionately called "The Anime Kids."

Now I know as much about anime as a vegetarian knows about sirloins, so forgive me if I sound like I'm blowing steam out of my you-know-what.

But anydangways, these kids were only into the martial arts for the sole purpose of becoming some kind of Dragonball Z/Kenshin hybrid superbeast. It's all they talked about, and they mimed hand movements and noises and powerup sounds from their favorite video games n stuff. It was totally bizarre, and pathetically enough these people were all between the ages of fifteen and twenty. Yikes.

#201583 - 02/04/06 04:55 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ronin1966]
SubZero Offline
Will breakfall for food

Eveal and Enray, those incidents cracked me up. I'm not an instructor but just picturing it made me laugh. Would either of you mind if I used your quotes on another non-martial art related website?

#201584 - 02/08/06 06:40 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: SubZero]
Eveal Offline
the freshmaker

Quote:

Eveal and Enray, those incidents cracked me up. I'm not an instructor but just picturing it made me laugh. Would either of you mind if I used your quotes on another non-martial art related website?

Hey SubZero,

I don't mind go ahead bro !

#201585 - 02/11/06 02:20 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Eveal]
chickenchaser Offline

Loc: Auburn,New York,U.S.A.
hmmmmm worst ever eh....... okay picture this...... it's getting close to test time and the test list is up on the board, sensie tells everyone "make sure you look to see if you are testing" at the end of class. so everyone is looking at the test list, everyone is happy to even see their name up there, except one kid who is about 15 years old. he says " hey i'm only getting a stripe! i don't belive this" and to make matters worse the kid actually got a higher promotion because of his father..... i was very upset and now that he has his ill gotten belt i say fine i will train with him as if he actually were up-to-speed enough to actually train at his so-called level and he comlains about it...........GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!! ( i'm sorry mr. makiwara board but it's what you are here for ichi,ni,san,shi,go,roku........)

#201586 - 02/15/06 09:28 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: chickenchaser]
KarlHTKDSTUDENT Offline

These are really good stories lol!
-Karl

#201587 - 02/18/06 07:13 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: KarlHTKDSTUDENT]
wolfman Offline

I've got a couple. One was a kid who's hands were always digging and scathing all over his body. The head instrutor was unable to work with him and always tryed to get my wife or me to work with him. Because of this kids body habits it made my skin claw to touch him. After class as fast as posible I have to go to the restroom to wash. I might add this kid had soom real promblems.
Another student on my level was always trying to grapple with me. I always won even tought I'm older and slower, I was just better at it[no not better then everyone just better then him]. After he lost a couple times right before he quite, he started to tell me why he tought he really should have won, even thought he had always tapped out.
Now I'm off in my own school and one night I'm teaching basic grapping when a new 16 year old student graps me about the neck without warning and wants to know what I would do. Don't you love it when they ask for it, but he didn't learn either. He didn't last that long either.
well have fun Alan

#201588 - 02/19/06 12:40 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Dudley32]
Kimpatsu Offline

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Quote:

If there seriously is Japanese Kung Fu somebody tell me . It would be Karate right??

There are Japanese schools that are interpretations of Chinese Kung Fu (really, Wu Shu) founded by Japanese nationals who have studied Kung Fu from Chinese instructors. You see them in places with big Chinatowns, like Yokohama and Kobe. They tend to be very small, however, and often fold quite quickly. The cultural pressure to study the Japanese arts is great.

#201589 - 02/19/06 12:46 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: BrianS]
Kimpatsu Offline

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Quote:

There is Chinese Karate ya know.

...And there's Tang Soo Do, too...
The original word "karate" was written with characters meaning "Cathay (i.e., old China) hand", but this was changed to the euphonic "empty hand" during the days of Japanese nationalism in the 1930s. (In case anyone reading this didn't know.)
The Korean art of Tang Soo Do is the Korean pronounciation of the characters for "Cathay hand".

#201590 - 05/19/06 05:44 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
jliu Offline

Loc: Montville, NJ, USA
Forgive me if I sound arrogant, but one of my fellow classmates was pathetic. He practically "danced" through every class, and just "danced" through kata. No enthusiasm, always asked a lot of nonsensical questions, very immature.

This guy also possessed some very wierd sparring guard postures. My favorite one was when he would lean forward, shove his hips out behind him, and seems to just want to block kicks. One time, i faked a kick, he went to block, and fell over from the lack of balance. In front of the entire class.

Beats me why he still studies MA...

#201591 - 05/22/06 06:25 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: jliu]
shark40sw Offline
Stranger

I had a fellow student in Goju one time that was a real joy to work with. He was a big guy (6" 4-5" 210lbs at least) with an even bigger attitude. He was a prison guard and approached people the same way he did the inmates. Always in your space, very intence, and tried to intimidate everyone he worked with. If you had to do a drill with him there was never any give, he would just push people around and tell them their technique would never work on him. Wrist locks, arm locks were a nightmare to learn for most people when working with him. I learned that by introducing him to what I now know as an atemi waza it made him much more agreeable to a lock technique (re-knee to the thigh, thumb to the arm pitt then apply the lock-very hard) Suprisingly enough his reaction (once released) was to smile and tell me how much he liked working with me because I wasn't afraid to mix it up like some people in the class.
It takes all kinds.

Page 6 of 14 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga