FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 5
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#201642 - 06/12/07 04:07 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Neko456]
Ames Offline
Veteran

Those are ones I think are the worst: the ones that are closed minded.

Everyone comes in with diffirent backgrounds, diffirent natural ability, diffirent body types, or past injuries. It's the willingness to learn that makes someone a good student, just as it's the willingness to teach that makes a good teacher. Some people come in and are so uncoordinated that they can't shuffle forward without leaving half their body stuck to the mat. What's beautiful, to me at least, is when these people keep coming, and keep getting better. For them, something as simple as shuffling forward and back, is improvment.

Others come in with past training, and can pull off beautiful throws that they learned ten years ago. However, when they're taught new techniques, they question so much that they end up just using their old body mechanics again and again. Somewhere along the way these people lost the beginers mindset and until they regain it, they'll never progress.

#201643 - 06/12/07 04:16 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ames]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
Quote:

Anyway, thanks guys, does anyone know a good therapist specilizing in martial arts dysfunctions?

Sorry ames, as far as I know, its terminal and no one is investigating a cure.

#201644 - 06/12/07 07:14 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: tkd_high_green]
Ames Offline
Veteran

LOL,

Oh well, I'll take the good days with the bad then.

#201645 - 08/24/07 11:45 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
Colta Offline
Stranger

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
I was in Chito-ryu for only 3 years, but in that time I made some friends and had a good time. I switched clubs for lots of reasons and when the next tournament came around this is what happened.....

My best friend from my old club almost broke my nose in a sparring match, among other things because my previous sensei didn't like that I had switched clubs. That, IMHO is the worst student out there, the one that is so fanatical about winning and 'dealing with traitors to the club' (yes, that was actually said )
Augh, crazy people.

#201646 - 08/24/07 01:23 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
JMWcorwin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SoCal, USA
Ok have a couple here:

* had two students whose parents didn't want to pay for day care. They would show up at class and stay the whole day. At one point they came without uniforms even and just sat outside. We asked, are you doing class? "NO, our mom just told us to wait here." -- we called and told them we're not qualified or staffed or paid to babysit their children. If they abandon them again at our front door, we would call child protective services. It worked.

Second one isn't really a learning problem, it's a behavioral one:

* We had a 13 yr old student who would periodically defecate on the mat. Yes I said DEFECATE on the mat. We would just find it there and not know who did it. One day during class we saw this kid turn, shake his leg, and drop a "poo" on the mat out the bottom of his gi pants. My instructor lost it. I swear there was steam coming out of his ears. He took him in the office and promptly excused him from ever taking classes again.

edit- in retrospect, I guess they were both behavioral problems. ~Corwin

Edited by JMWcorwin (08/24/07 01:38 PM)

#426704 - 04/28/10 10:21 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: JMWcorwin]
Ezekiel Ryan Offline

I'm currently 7th kyu in Shitoryu Karate, got a long way to go before coming close to any black belt in my dojo but I still love the thrill of kumite.

So anyways there was one time where this punkish looking guy joined the dojo, and he had this really obnoxious look. Excused himself during the idoshiki, came to class only after we greeted the senseis, and I caught him picking on the younger students a few times. He's prolly one of those guys who's always looking for a fight and thinks they're tough [censored], which is common in my country.

I finally got a chance to spar with him during one of the free sparring sessions, used some of the advanced footwork techniques they taught during the kumite division class to sidestep his punches, then when he tried a mawashi (which didn't look like one by the way), I bypassed it and landed a triple reverse punch right smack on his solar plexus.

Never saw him again after that lesson.

#426895 - 05/03/10 05:29 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ezekiel Ryan]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
I see this thread is still alive. 5yrs later!!

I have some new ones from my judo school.

Long nails guy. We're doing judo, this guy has toenails and fingernails that could slice bread in half. Cut your nails dude!! In the middle of class he wants to talk about anime and geocaching. He has a full head of grey hair. shocked

Girl in the kids class screams all the time. She screams everytime she is pinned or thrown for about 5minutes. Please stay home. Her dad just sits there and never says a word to her while the instructors are trying to figure her out.

One dude shows up dirty all the time with a gi that reeks of BO. Dude! Jump in the river or something atleast!! Pew!

Another guy doesn't know the meaning or light randori, or even practice throws. No matter how compliant you are, he just needs to plant you hard....all the time,everytime!

#427004 - 05/06/10 09:29 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: BrianS]
clmibb Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Texas, US
I had my wrist cut by a guy's toenail back in 1994. They were like eagle tallons! It was at a demo and at the time I really didn't notice it. After we got off stage, a mom from the audience came running up to me with a band-aid telling me that she could see blood on my sleeve from her seat. It wasn't too bad but it could have been worse had his nail been just a smidgen over to the left as the scar is right next to one of the veins in my wrist. Yeah some people I want to give a pedicure gift certificate to them as a "just because" gift.

Casey

#428284 - 07/13/10 10:48 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: clmibb]
SocratesTheBeast Offline
The Powerlifting Beast

Loc: Brooklyn (Fort Greene)
I wish I could tell a story, but I don't have any, however, I did enjoy reading you guys stories, quite interesting, sucks that this forum isn't more active being that it has over 20k members....Well this section at least.

Download my first solo mixtape: http://tweetmysong.com/x1dlno
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/freshthepoet

#428333 - 07/15/10 08:52 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: SocratesTheBeast]
ninpopo Offline

Loc: Africa *drums starts playing i...
Oh i think everyone has a story here, when i was still white belt my sensei told me about this one loco dude who came to the dojo, and insisted fighting with the black belts, on his second or third day he decided to pair up with a 2nd dan black belt lady, who was half his height and weight, he decided itll be a good idea to go full out, and pin her against the wall and broke her ribs, in such a way that the bone stuck through her breast :|. Of course she was taken to the hospital to get treated, but all the other black belts kept him there forcefully when he saw he caused serious trouble. He started off fighting one of my senseis and had to go through 10 of them untill he reached our head instructor (whos one of the highest ranked karateka in Africa), who and i quote "took care of him". I would rather not wanna know the details, but he never came back.

Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga