FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
Today at 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
Yesterday at 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
Yesterday at 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#201532 - 11/07/05 04:52 PM The worst possible students....EVER
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

anyone care to share your nightmare stories of the students from Hell?

* We had a guy with a spitting habit...on the dojo floor. the same guy used to blow snot rockets on the wall or wipe it on his Gi. He quit in less than a year.

* we had a tall overweight 30-something eagle boy scout who still lived with his mother. constantly complained red-in-the-face when you hit him too hard. nickname: Baby Huey. lasted 6 months.

* biker guy. sortof cool but slightly crazy personality. in the dojo he was an over-intense A-hole. (he made it to green belt and quit -we later found out he was in jail). He insisted on full-contact to people joining on their first week. always smelled like weed. and when he laughed, moose would come out of nearby woods thinking they've found a mate. always forgot to take his rings off before kumite. always had problems with dues.

Sooner or later in your training, you are bound to see a few people cross your path that cause you to ask yourself... WTF was THAT?

lets hear 'em.

#201533 - 11/07/05 06:35 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Great thread.

* Had a lady that we should have been paying HER, as much as she told us what she would or would not do. "I won't teach." Required in our system for black belt. "Nobody here has any control." Although she routinely injured people working out. Let's work on your kata? "No, I want to spar".
MattJ running to see who's name is on the school's door again.

* Similar to your baby huey, big guy that always wanted to do techniques full force on everybody, but cried like a wuss when they were returned in kind. BOO - FRIGGIN - HOO!!!

* Had a young lady that was almost perfect. Great attitude, lots of physical talent, good heart....everything.

Problem?

She quit after about 3 weeks. GAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

#201534 - 11/07/05 10:57 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
goju_girl Offline

Loc: Canada eh!
well... I don't teach (obviously) but there are a couple people I train(ed) with that I think may fall under this catagory (God forbid any of them find this site!)

* this one girl in my class, comes in late (when she comes at all) complains she's too tired from "girl guides" to do regular class so she asks if we can meditate or do cartwheels instead. Also at our last grading she broke a couple of MAJOR rules that had me wondering why she got her next belt (i.e. talking, trying to talk to people doing kata! Asking if she "made it" or not, ect.)

* This guy in my class (well ok he's my friend) comes in, and goes through emotional cycles ranging from extremely hyper, to sometimes worryingly depressed. All the while talking about how "emo" and "goth" he is. Also, while he's really not a bad person he sometimes gets annoying when he's talking to me before class. Because he's either telling people how I "constantly beat on him" <- I don't. Or he's poking fun at me because of ONE thing I EVER told him about (which I won't repeat here) that was supposed to have been kept private.

* myself, while I don't think of myself as "The worst possible students....EVER" I think I could really improve my self disciplin and work on my control in sparring, aswell as be more focused in kata and such. I should also learn to stop being such a braggart after tournaments, like today I felt so proud of myself I could almost feel a chip growing onto my shoulder.

Well anyways, good idea for a thread, ttyl!

-Nikki

#201535 - 11/07/05 11:36 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: goju_girl]
UofM Shorin Ryu Offline
Resident Forum Breakdancer

I can be kind of a goofy smartass at times. Sifu reminded me a few times that I signed a waiver saying he could hit me...

#201536 - 11/08/05 12:07 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Good post Ed!!

* We had a "boxer" guy who wanted to spar from day one,was very cocky and arrogant. He constantly tried to talk over me and would ignore what I told him. After a few weeks I decided to "spar" him after class. Strangely enough he never came back.

* One guy wouldn't stop looking at his feet when he sparred or keep his hands up.Then he complained when he got punched in the face "too hard" WAHHHHH!!!!

* I think we've all had the one's who know everything before they even start.lol

#201537 - 11/08/05 09:31 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: BrianS]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Three kids from the same wealthy family. The parents decided they wanted them all to earn black belts. The problem was none of them wanted to be there but the parents would not let them quit. Classes with them were like a pathetic and unseemly passive aggressive hoe down. The dynamiics of the family were unhealthy. I personally feel it was allowed to go on for too long. Sheesh, I actually just got the willies even recalling the trio.

#201538 - 11/08/05 09:59 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: oldman]
fattts14 Offline

Loc: T.O. On, Can
from a students pespective... i hate the more advance students that think anyone else in a lower level is not worthy of there presence. We had this one guy that wouldn't even look at you if you weren't in the advance (MMA) class. He had a tournoment coming up and the instructor wanted everyone to give him motivation and encouragement in the days before the fight. He didn't get much. The instructor pulled a couple of us aside and asked why we were not very supportive of our team mate. We told him what the guy was like and I think he got a talking to. The former a-hole is now one of the greatest guys to have on your team, he stays around and helps some of the begginers after class, and explains any of the techniques that you may not understand. HE has become a good friend and training partner now.

#201539 - 11/08/05 10:57 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: fattts14]
PierrePressure Offline

Well, I don't teach but there have been/are some people in the classes that must be pretty exasperating to work with.

*One guy who's in my intermediate class is just a little strange. I can't tell exactly what's going on, but he acts normal and seems to actually be pretty funny, but when he gets on the mat, it's like he's confused, angry, frustrated, and has left his brain along with his shoes off the mat. Very odd, really .

*The whole beginners class. My dojo is a friendly place (my instructors strive to make it a sort of family atmosphere), but these guys are just boards. They don't laugh, they don't talk ( some talking is appropriate), and they're very stiff both in their movements and towards each other. I think it's really draining to my instructors.

Good thread .

#201540 - 11/08/05 12:12 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
Galen Offline

Interesting thread...

- had a green belt who LOVED to fight everyone hard, except the black belts. Generally like to think he was better than everyone, but when he was faced with someone better than he, he ran like a scared rabbit. For him, it was all about ego.

- one of the most physically talented kids I have ever seen was also one of the most arrogant, snot nosed little whiner I have ever had the misfortune of teaching. A real shame, as his technique was as close to flawless as I have ever seen.

Galen

#201541 - 11/09/05 08:12 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
Gino Offline

Loc: New York State
We've also had our share of memorable students. Please allow me a stroll down memory lane:

1)There was the self-absorbed male model who never met a mirror he didn't like. He was also a big, muscular steroid user, and often abused the lower ranks with whom he trained. He out-ranked me (he was an intermediate student, I was a white belt), and he was also half my age and twice my size. So, I was a favorite target. One day, some of us overheard him strongly encouraging a young, impressionable lad to use steroids to get big. Needless to say, he didn't last much longer at our dojo.

2)There was the cognitively-challenged, emotionally disturbed paranoid personality disorder with a sense of entitlement (no, I'm not kidding), who believed that everyone was against him and that he was destined to own the dojo. He resented everyone who out-ranked him, because in his mind, they were competition for the attention and affection of the dojo owner. He disrupted many classes, and undermined the senior students at every opportunity. Sensei finally got tired of it and changed the locks on the doors. The little creep then went to the Human Rights Commission and claimed we threw him out because he was gay. That was quite a surprise to us, as he spent an entire weekend at a summer training camp chasing one of our female students like a dog in heat. And we've got the pictures to prove it. (Honest, guys, you can't make this stuff up.)

3)Finally, there was "Fart-Man". No, it wasn't Howard Stern's crime-fighting alter-ego. This guy passed gas as regularly as he breathed, an important life function that soon became very difficult for the rest of us, by the way. He had no qualms about ripping one off, didn't matter if it was loud or silent but deadly. We literally had to hold our nose as we walked through the dojo after class, spraying Lysol or some other room deodorizor throughout the building. I know, the poor guy probably had some kind of intestinal condition that caused him to pass gas so much. However, he refused to take our advise and see a doctor. In fact, he even denied that he had a problem. Last I heard, he was a missionary somewhere in South America.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga