FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Troy7785, wakita, swisztony, Tonybb, shelly1993
22920 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
AndyLA 3
Bartfast 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22920 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 7 of 14 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#201592 - 05/22/06 10:32 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: shark40sw]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Shark,
I met one of my best buddies at a seminar where we were banging on each other's arms doing drills. I told him it was good to find somebody that wasn't afraid to hit somebody during training. Mutual bruises can make good friends.

#201593 - 05/23/06 12:10 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: wristtwister]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

Shark,
I met one of my best buddies at a seminar where we were banging on each other's arms doing drills. I told him it was good to find somebody that wasn't afraid to hit somebody during training. Mutual bruises can make good friends.

That's the way I like it!!!

#201594 - 05/23/06 12:49 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: BrianS]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I guess enough time has passed, to mention about this guy who was at a family dojo I was a student at briefly. Before his first class, he comes out and the first thing he does is go to the middle of the dojo floor and does a full split. lol o...k. impressive. what was funny is two of the wise-ass brown belts who have a great sense of humor, acted like they were clapping applause.
later, I talked with him and turns out he took a japanese style of competition karate...a derrivitive of shotokan. he made it a point to bad-mouth okinawan styles of karate as non-effective for defense, kicks too low, damaging training methods, dumb looking kata, no power etc. I let him ramble on until he asked if I did any styles previous to 'this place'. I said yes, Goju Ryu. he never heard of it. I asked him if he ever heard of Matsubayashi Ryu, he said yes, he tried it before but didn't like it. I let him in on the fact Goju and Matsubayashi are 2 fairly popular, if not main styles on Okinawa since they originated there. {blank stare}. I also pointed out the kanji on the wall in the dojo, and the kamiza that had a picture of Nagamine...asked him if that struck any bells with him...nope. I had to break it to him, that he was once again a member of a Matsubayashi dojo. lol
during class, he had the most rediculous kiai that sounded like a high pitched cry for a trophy, I swear I saw some chips of paint fall after his shreiks. he went to a few classes and then disappeared...echos of his kiai could still be heard when you pressed your ear to the kamiza wall.

lol...clueless.

#201595 - 05/23/06 08:14 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
Revanus Offline

Loc: No ( r ) way
*We have this older woman who is always chewing on garlic during classes and using it like chewing tobbaco... Her techniques have no power, she doesn't know how to put her feet in which direction, and she has trained for almost two years! One time I sparred with her, and when she attacked and let out a kiai, I almost fainted because of the strong garlic odor! That was creepy...

*We had this fat 14 year old kid who came to classes for three months. While always telling me he had done this and that sport for so and so long, it didn't look like he even had taken the effort to even THINK about doing sports. Apparently, he had done icehockey, swimming, soccer, mountainclimbing and running. He always wanted to learn how to do a flying kick, while he didn't even know how to punch. One day he asked the sensei how he could beat up someone at his school, and sensei replied: "we don't beat up people, be learn to avoid getting beaten up ourselves". Never saw the kid again...

#201596 - 05/24/06 06:25 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Revanus]
ThomsonsPier Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
Quote:

*We have this older woman who is always chewing on garlic during classes and using it like chewing tobbaco... Her techniques have no power, she doesn't know how to put her feet in which direction, and she has trained for almost two years! One time I sparred with her, and when she attacked and let out a kiai, I almost fainted because of the strong garlic odor! That was creepy...

Had she also been learning to fight with a stake, and carry a water pistol filled from a baptismal font?

War. It's fan-tastic!

#201597 - 05/26/06 07:07 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Revanus]
Foundation Offline

Quote:

Great, you are supposed to keep the secret of the no touch KO's secret, now everyone here will be using it.

#201598 - 05/26/06 01:21 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
Steel91 Offline

Loc: Alabama
I'm not the instructor but am the highest ranking student in the class and there was this other kid in there who was a year older than me and wastaking the class with his dad, he was there for almost as long as I had been up until he quit, but he never tried anything to his full potential, and was sloppy, and when he would get something wrong, which he did a lot he would laugh about it and go on, I think his dad made him stay in too long, his dad was pretty good and was a black belt, however, during my brown belt test, (and the other kid's) he used the wrong technique to get out of a bearhug and supposedly broke his ankle so he quit and I haven't heard anything from his dad either.

#201599 - 06/26/06 04:28 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Steel91]
JamesV Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
There was a young kid (probably 9 or 10) at my dojo who just wouldn't shut up. My instructor kept threatening to sticky tape his mouth shut...so after a couple of weeks of threats he actually did it. Went into his office during the middle of class, got a big roll of duct tape and taped the kid all the way around his mouth and head.

#201600 - 07/05/06 09:10 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: JamesV]
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

Quote:

There was a young kid (probably 9 or 10) at my dojo who just wouldn't shut up. My instructor kept threatening to sticky tape his mouth shut...so after a couple of weeks of threats he actually did it. Went into his office during the middle of class, got a big roll of duct tape and taped the kid all the way around his mouth and head.

LOL! better hope the kids parents are not lawyers

#201601 - 07/05/06 10:21 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: pepto_bismol]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
We have an elderly lady in our class who is very nice, but she can't remember left and right, and while she's doing techniques gets confused about what to do. When you add "omote and ura" to it, she starts talking her way through the techniques, getting hung up on details and missing the entire purpose of what she's trying to accomplish.

She's a horrible student, but a great person, and has stayed with her study for over 6 years without much advancement. I don't think she'll ever get any better, but she shows up and trains with the best of them.

Page 7 of 14 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga