FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 9 of 14 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 13 14 >
Topic Options
#201612 - 08/16/06 10:59 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: crablord]
faarkuin Offline
Stranger

omg we had this one kid that would probably spend about an hour just spinning round in circles...he didn't last long, then we had this little kid that would kick everyone in the ass as they were stretching, i think she got kicked out lol then we have this guy who *charges* himself with the power from his gem stones before sparring!!!

#201613 - 08/16/06 04:21 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
jonnyboxcutter Offline

I don’t know if this would count as the worst ever but…

The students that frustrate me the most are the ones that “know” every form ever created but can’t do any of them correctly.

I had a student in about as snotty of a tone as could be mustered tell me “Well I know 14 forms!!!” She was assisting me in remembering one that I had not done in some time and she had made a major mistake; I attempted to correct her, and that was her response – best part is she is a few ranks below me. W/O skipping a beat I said “I can eat a whole gallon of ice cream, the problem is I just end up with a mess on the floor”. Apparently my comment was so random that she did not get what I was saying.

Since forms are what I work the hardest on I hold back on learning new ones. I get the “how many can you do” question a lot since most lower belts do know a higher quantity than I do; I usually just say that I am still working on 1 but for some reason she struck a nerve.

I actually had a 3rd degree come down hard on me that I did not know a sufficient number of forms. He was the assistant instructor for that particular class and he did not know me at all; he really went over board, to the point of telling me in front of the class that I should not even be wearing my BB any more. I approached him after class and politely asked him to Demo first form w/opponents for me cuz I needed some help with it. He gave me a huff and grabbed a few students and set up the scenario - we use the pawlge forms. He went with the standard turn down block against a kick, step outside block against a punch. I politely commented that what I was needing help with was this – I set up a different scenario controlling 3 students per move only doing the first two moves (Down block, outside block). When I got to this point I said I was looking for help on the turn. He gave this odd look so I just said I would ask the GM. I thanked him for his time and walked away. The instructor for the class just giggled (he was my buddy and knew where I was going). The next week the same 3rd degree asked if I could help him out w/his lower forms. Personally I thought it was better than an apology.

Like I said, not the worst ever but funny non the less,

-JBC-

#201614 - 08/17/06 02:59 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: jonnyboxcutter]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
haha johnny theres a little fat kid in our class who knows all the katas up to brown belt, But yet he couldnt get a hit on me during sparring if his life depended on it XD

#201615 - 08/17/06 11:01 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: crablord]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

haha johnny theres a little fat kid in our class who knows all the katas up to brown belt, But yet he couldnt get a hit on me during sparring if his life depended on it XD

Hi there.

He might one day.

#201616 - 08/17/06 02:34 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: crablord]
SubZero Offline
Will breakfall for food

Quote:

well in our dojo we have this one guy whos about 16, the funny bit is that at orange belt level( like me ) he knows almost nothing of the art, and when we spar he goes into a ridiculous mortal kombat stance (scorpion) , with the fist beghind the head and other hand dropped low, and he bounces around like its tekken lol, its incredibly funny to watch lol..if anyone played mortal kombat theyll know what i mean :D:D

Hey now that's a cool looking stance...it may not be effective but it looks nice.

#201617 - 08/17/06 02:55 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: SubZero]
jonnyboxcutter Offline

Quote:

Quote:

well in our dojo we have this one guy whos about 16, the funny bit is that at orange belt level( like me ) he knows almost nothing of the art, and when we spar he goes into a ridiculous mortal kombat stance (scorpion) , with the fist beghind the head and other hand dropped low, and he bounces around like its tekken lol, its incredibly funny to watch lol..if anyone played mortal kombat theyll know what i mean :D:D

Hey now that's a cool looking stance...it may not be effective but it looks nice.

This reminds me of a kid we had. He always wanted to learn “X” like batman does.

- Teach me to kick down doors like batman does
- teach me to jump spin and kick like batman does

The list went on. The sad part was he was 15-16 years old. We had to assume that he had some issues…

-JBC-

#201618 - 08/18/06 03:42 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: jonnyboxcutter]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

lol kick down doors? Im sure he wouldve had some issues.

#201619 - 08/18/06 01:35 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: crablord]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
My personal fav's are the guys that always want to "fight."

But oddly don't wish to spar with anyone older, larger, higher ranked, or just plain meaner.

Pretty much want to "fight" with people smaller, weaker, lower ranked etc.

Don't know if they are the "worst" but they sure are annoying

Edited by cxt (08/18/06 01:39 PM)

#201620 - 08/18/06 03:25 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
jonnyboxcutter Offline

I used to take Shinkendo for a bit. The class drew many MA people from all over the area. Well I apparently “offended” one of the MA guys from another school. When we where changing out, he approached me and started telling me how he could withstand 3,000 PSI to his forehead. He seriously asked me to hit him. He gets all squared up and got real animated about it. They guy was kinda freaking out wanting me to hit him in the head.

About a year or so later, I was talking to a kid from Vietnam that was telling me about a guy from this other school (at the time he did not use names) that called him up in front of the class and asked him to hit him in the stomach. He told me that in VN if an instructor asks you to do something you do it, so he hit him. The guy dropped like a rock.

Turns out it was the same guy.

-JBC-

#201621 - 08/18/06 11:21 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: cxt]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Its a bugger because i missed training for a month or so and all the people my age graded, while i stayed in the younger class, and since i cant spar 10 year olds, they put me with the blackbelts, i get whooped

Page 9 of 14 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 13 14 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga