FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#201532 - 11/07/05 04:52 PM The worst possible students....EVER
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

anyone care to share your nightmare stories of the students from Hell?

* We had a guy with a spitting habit...on the dojo floor. the same guy used to blow snot rockets on the wall or wipe it on his Gi. He quit in less than a year.

* we had a tall overweight 30-something eagle boy scout who still lived with his mother. constantly complained red-in-the-face when you hit him too hard. nickname: Baby Huey. lasted 6 months.

* biker guy. sortof cool but slightly crazy personality. in the dojo he was an over-intense A-hole. (he made it to green belt and quit -we later found out he was in jail). He insisted on full-contact to people joining on their first week. always smelled like weed. and when he laughed, moose would come out of nearby woods thinking they've found a mate. always forgot to take his rings off before kumite. always had problems with dues.

Sooner or later in your training, you are bound to see a few people cross your path that cause you to ask yourself... WTF was THAT?

lets hear 'em.

#201533 - 11/07/05 06:35 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Great thread.

* Had a lady that we should have been paying HER, as much as she told us what she would or would not do. "I won't teach." Required in our system for black belt. "Nobody here has any control." Although she routinely injured people working out. Let's work on your kata? "No, I want to spar".
MattJ running to see who's name is on the school's door again.

* Similar to your baby huey, big guy that always wanted to do techniques full force on everybody, but cried like a wuss when they were returned in kind. BOO - FRIGGIN - HOO!!!

* Had a young lady that was almost perfect. Great attitude, lots of physical talent, good heart....everything.

Problem?

She quit after about 3 weeks. GAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

#201534 - 11/07/05 10:57 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
goju_girl Offline

Loc: Canada eh!
well... I don't teach (obviously) but there are a couple people I train(ed) with that I think may fall under this catagory (God forbid any of them find this site!)

* this one girl in my class, comes in late (when she comes at all) complains she's too tired from "girl guides" to do regular class so she asks if we can meditate or do cartwheels instead. Also at our last grading she broke a couple of MAJOR rules that had me wondering why she got her next belt (i.e. talking, trying to talk to people doing kata! Asking if she "made it" or not, ect.)

* This guy in my class (well ok he's my friend) comes in, and goes through emotional cycles ranging from extremely hyper, to sometimes worryingly depressed. All the while talking about how "emo" and "goth" he is. Also, while he's really not a bad person he sometimes gets annoying when he's talking to me before class. Because he's either telling people how I "constantly beat on him" <- I don't. Or he's poking fun at me because of ONE thing I EVER told him about (which I won't repeat here) that was supposed to have been kept private.

* myself, while I don't think of myself as "The worst possible students....EVER" I think I could really improve my self disciplin and work on my control in sparring, aswell as be more focused in kata and such. I should also learn to stop being such a braggart after tournaments, like today I felt so proud of myself I could almost feel a chip growing onto my shoulder.

Well anyways, good idea for a thread, ttyl!

-Nikki

#201535 - 11/07/05 11:36 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: goju_girl]
UofM Shorin Ryu Offline
Resident Forum Breakdancer

I can be kind of a goofy smartass at times. Sifu reminded me a few times that I signed a waiver saying he could hit me...

#201536 - 11/08/05 12:07 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Good post Ed!!

* We had a "boxer" guy who wanted to spar from day one,was very cocky and arrogant. He constantly tried to talk over me and would ignore what I told him. After a few weeks I decided to "spar" him after class. Strangely enough he never came back.

* One guy wouldn't stop looking at his feet when he sparred or keep his hands up.Then he complained when he got punched in the face "too hard" WAHHHHH!!!!

* I think we've all had the one's who know everything before they even start.lol

#201537 - 11/08/05 09:31 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: BrianS]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Three kids from the same wealthy family. The parents decided they wanted them all to earn black belts. The problem was none of them wanted to be there but the parents would not let them quit. Classes with them were like a pathetic and unseemly passive aggressive hoe down. The dynamiics of the family were unhealthy. I personally feel it was allowed to go on for too long. Sheesh, I actually just got the willies even recalling the trio.

#201538 - 11/08/05 09:59 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: oldman]
fattts14 Offline

Loc: T.O. On, Can
from a students pespective... i hate the more advance students that think anyone else in a lower level is not worthy of there presence. We had this one guy that wouldn't even look at you if you weren't in the advance (MMA) class. He had a tournoment coming up and the instructor wanted everyone to give him motivation and encouragement in the days before the fight. He didn't get much. The instructor pulled a couple of us aside and asked why we were not very supportive of our team mate. We told him what the guy was like and I think he got a talking to. The former a-hole is now one of the greatest guys to have on your team, he stays around and helps some of the begginers after class, and explains any of the techniques that you may not understand. HE has become a good friend and training partner now.

#201539 - 11/08/05 10:57 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: fattts14]
PierrePressure Offline

Well, I don't teach but there have been/are some people in the classes that must be pretty exasperating to work with.

*One guy who's in my intermediate class is just a little strange. I can't tell exactly what's going on, but he acts normal and seems to actually be pretty funny, but when he gets on the mat, it's like he's confused, angry, frustrated, and has left his brain along with his shoes off the mat. Very odd, really .

*The whole beginners class. My dojo is a friendly place (my instructors strive to make it a sort of family atmosphere), but these guys are just boards. They don't laugh, they don't talk ( some talking is appropriate), and they're very stiff both in their movements and towards each other. I think it's really draining to my instructors.

Good thread .

#201540 - 11/08/05 12:12 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
Galen Offline

Interesting thread...

- had a green belt who LOVED to fight everyone hard, except the black belts. Generally like to think he was better than everyone, but when he was faced with someone better than he, he ran like a scared rabbit. For him, it was all about ego.

- one of the most physically talented kids I have ever seen was also one of the most arrogant, snot nosed little whiner I have ever had the misfortune of teaching. A real shame, as his technique was as close to flawless as I have ever seen.

Galen

#201541 - 11/09/05 08:12 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
Gino Offline

Loc: New York State
We've also had our share of memorable students. Please allow me a stroll down memory lane:

1)There was the self-absorbed male model who never met a mirror he didn't like. He was also a big, muscular steroid user, and often abused the lower ranks with whom he trained. He out-ranked me (he was an intermediate student, I was a white belt), and he was also half my age and twice my size. So, I was a favorite target. One day, some of us overheard him strongly encouraging a young, impressionable lad to use steroids to get big. Needless to say, he didn't last much longer at our dojo.

2)There was the cognitively-challenged, emotionally disturbed paranoid personality disorder with a sense of entitlement (no, I'm not kidding), who believed that everyone was against him and that he was destined to own the dojo. He resented everyone who out-ranked him, because in his mind, they were competition for the attention and affection of the dojo owner. He disrupted many classes, and undermined the senior students at every opportunity. Sensei finally got tired of it and changed the locks on the doors. The little creep then went to the Human Rights Commission and claimed we threw him out because he was gay. That was quite a surprise to us, as he spent an entire weekend at a summer training camp chasing one of our female students like a dog in heat. And we've got the pictures to prove it. (Honest, guys, you can't make this stuff up.)

3)Finally, there was "Fart-Man". No, it wasn't Howard Stern's crime-fighting alter-ego. This guy passed gas as regularly as he breathed, an important life function that soon became very difficult for the rest of us, by the way. He had no qualms about ripping one off, didn't matter if it was loud or silent but deadly. We literally had to hold our nose as we walked through the dojo after class, spraying Lysol or some other room deodorizor throughout the building. I know, the poor guy probably had some kind of intestinal condition that caused him to pass gas so much. However, he refused to take our advise and see a doctor. In fact, he even denied that he had a problem. Last I heard, he was a missionary somewhere in South America.

#201542 - 11/09/05 09:12 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
Dudley32 Offline
master of disaster

Loc: Indiana
HA HA! Some of these are hallarious. So i have to share mine.
We had a guy come in who had taken kung fu before hand. This Kung Fu-he claimed to me- was a extremelly rare style, known as, no lie "Japanese Kung Fu". So of course i asked him where i could find one of these schools and he quickly responded by naming a few capital cities. The same guy also told me of an instance where he was about to be mugged by 5 guys and as soon as they attacked, he remembers nothing, just that he woke up with a bar in his hand and all the would-be muggers around him unconcious. He said the instance frightened him because of how he knocked them all out so he quit kung fu soon after. He was a strange character that lasted about 2 weeks.
Darn, i had another one but i forget it, oh well, when i think of it i will post it.
Fun thread,
Matt
P.S. If there seriously is Japanese Kung Fu somebody tell me . It would be Karate right??

#201543 - 11/09/05 09:19 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Dudley32]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

There is Chinese Karate ya know.

#201544 - 11/11/05 09:15 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
NEAS Offline
Banned Member

Quote:

anyone care to share your nightmare stories of the students from Hell?

* We had a guy with a spitting habit...on the dojo floor. the same guy used to blow snot rockets on the wall or wipe it on his Gi. He quit in less than a year.

Hey dude thats my habit,,,see while your watching the snot and if you sparred with me,, you wouldnt notice my techniques ,you never trained hard enough to cough spit ,and buster douglas was seen to have been doing against tyson,,,maybe thats why he got k.o.d I hope if you ever have to defend yourself you aint gonna be watchin the snot and not your attacker.
"Hey man great snot ouch"
Na realy some people spit before they attack,, distraction technique? maybe a 10th dan sensei taught him this technique...ooohhh grasshopper spit two three spit,,,,mawashi geri ---spit----- mawishi -geri
ooohhh grashopper you are spitting well here is your dan grade ooohhh where is my cash grashopper,,,,
* we had a tall overweight 30-something eagle boy scout who still lived with his mother. constantly complained red-in-the-face when you hit him too hard. nickname: Baby Huey. lasted 6 months.

Hey man go easy on people like this thats why they do martial arts.
* biker guy. sortof cool but slightly crazy personality. in the dojo he was an over-intense A-hole. (he made it to green belt and quit -we later found out he was in jail). He insisted on full-contact to people joining on their first week. always smelled like weed. and when he laughed, moose would come out of nearby woods thinking they've found a mate. always forgot to take his rings off before kumite. always had problems with dues.

Only moose????
Sooner or later in your training, you are bound to see a few people cross your path that cause you to ask yourself... WTF was THAT?

lets hear 'em.

The best one is the yellow belt who is in fact an under cover highly trained reborn ancient ninja sent to see if the karate katas are still being used as a dance,
They are the ones to watch out for.

#201545 - 11/11/05 09:18 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: BrianS]
NEAS Offline
Banned Member

Quote:

There is Chinese Karate ya know. [/quot
e]

How??? kara te means empty hand in japanese?

#201546 - 11/11/05 02:20 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: NEAS]
funstick5000 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: West Yorkshire, England
Quote:

Quote:

How??? kara te means empty hand in japanese?

originally it meant chinese hand and the meaning was later changed because the japanese and chinese basically hate each other. and i beleive the original occupants of japan were chinese so any art they practised was kung fu. so any japanese art we practise now is a different style of kung fu with different principles.

i'm not 100% sure about this so correct me if i'm wrong there. thanks.

I prefer the open hand meaning to the chinese hand meaning. to me if you try living life with open hands, see what it changes in you're life.

#201547 - 11/11/05 11:32 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: funstick5000]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Quote:

I prefer the open hand meaning to the chinese hand meaning. to me if you try living life with open hands, see what it changes in you're life.

And if you try living life with chinese hands the police drag you in and ask you a lot of questions.

Unless you're chinese.

#201548 - 11/12/05 12:06 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: JoelM]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Quote:

Quote:

And if you try living life with chinese hands the police drag you in and ask you a lot of questions.

Unless you're chinese.

HAHA!!! Joel has some good jokes tonight!!!

#201549 - 11/16/05 05:57 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: PierrePressure]
jabber Offline

Loc: UK
*One guy who's in my intermediate class is just a little strange. I can't tell exactly what's going on, but he acts normal and seems to actually be pretty funny, but when he gets on the mat, it's like he's confused, angry, frustrated, and has left his brain along with his shoes off the mat. Very odd, really .

Sounds like me as soon as I step into the dojo - adrenaline from excitement.

As a student myself the worst are teenage boys...for the first couple of weeks anyway. Usually they learn the hard way after a couple of weeks.

We also used to have a girl whose eyes would constantly fill with tears during class, she would berate herself after each technique even though she was pretty good and very natural for a beginner.. it`s hard to train at your best when she is punishing herself for not being able to do in a month what has taken you 2 years to achieve. She left after 4 months and after that time I thought she was as good as some people who had been there longer than me, oh myself included of course. Her self confidence never improved like her technique did.

We also had a guy that used to turn up to charm the ladies, strangely that did`nt last long.

Jabber

#201550 - 11/17/05 08:29 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: jabber]
DFA Offline
Stranger

*One student made seal noises throughout the class, was kicked out by the instructor.

*The first time I met one of the higher graded students in my club i offered him a handshake and he said "I don't like to be touched" He must freak out whenever its time for partner-drills.

I wonder what he would say to a mugger? "Sorry, I don't like to be tou--"

#201551 - 11/17/05 09:20 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: DFA]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

"I don't like to be touched"

his name wasn't Francis, was it? as in "touch me, and I'll kill ya" Francis? ooh, don't call him 'francis' either...he'll kill ya.

#201552 - 11/17/05 01:06 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
i've heard this one before. a guy told me he wouldn't shake my hand or knuckle up or anything because he was worried about me robbing his chi. he got upset when i asked him if he robs himself when he takes a shower.

#201553 - 11/18/05 12:38 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: ShikataGaNai]
traq Offline

Loc: SoCal
well, I've had my share of students who have a lack of control in one way or another.

People who just hit too hard - I've been dealing with them almost since I began training. When I was a beginner, I learned how to block - and I was quick, too - but I had a hard time moving aside. So, whether I blocked something or missed it, I took the hit. I was also determined (maybe a bit arrogant?), and I just sucked it up and learned how to take it. As a result, senseis knew that I could take a hit well, and so they parternered me with the guys who needed help with their self-control... I'm glad actually, it helped me take hits better, and I got better focus and control myself, hitting just the tip of their noses...

The other kind of lack of self-control is, of course, the student that just can't pay attention to anything for more than a second and/or without interjecting their own opinion and experiences. Plenty of those, and man can they be trying.

One guy I knew was a junior shodan (meaning he was under 16). I had just passed my shodan test and he had passed his about two years earlier, but had stopped training regularly after that. He was used to coming in every so often and giving advice to kids who were practicing, and joking around with some of the other senior students.
Well, when he started attending class again, he was kind of a goof-off. The class was sparring once, and he's trying to talk socially with me in the middle of our fight...! Making jokes, saying stuff like, "oh, that was a good punch," or "too slow! try it like this next time," and he would constantly drop his hands and go into "casual" mode after each contact.
Luckily for me (not for him so much), we went into continuous sparring (sparring+takedowns+grappling) after that. I trapped his front leg and just pushed him over, then grabbed his head.

...He never wanted to spar with me after that. go figure.

Fortunately I've had some great people to work with too. Guys who are miles ahead of you in their training but really understand how to teach you something without beating up on you or losing on purpose. Guys who show soo much genuine appreciation when you show them some fine point that they'd never even heard about.

There is one guy at my dojo now who is just got his brown belt. He's extreemly personable. Talks all the time in a genuine, friendly way; a big guy who's language is sort of...strong? yea, that's a good way to put it. But he understands the concept of respect as it relates to karate. he knows and understands many techniques better than other students who outrank him, but he is so patient and still makes it obvious that he's learning from them. In the dojo, and most of the time outside, he calls his senseis "sir" - even though a lot of them are half his age. He's one of those that you're just proud to call someone you train with.

#201554 - 11/19/05 12:57 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
Celerity Offline
Stranger

lol.

I never had these kind of people (moose comming out of trees was funny) but we had this one guy , we all used to call him a peanut (without him knowing, ahm) simply because he was amazingly in the exact shape of a peanut.

Now, his talent was unbliveably near zero.
After nearly 6 months of practice he knew nothing (Him and I started at the same time. While I knew the first two Katas he didnt know any. And he didn't do any move even near right.)

He was realy fat, he probebly weights as about 110 KG (Sorry I'm not sure how much is it in pounds - thogu its enough) So when we had wrestling I couldnt lift him, but all I had to do is kinda let him fall.

Anyway - if you see this amzing peanut-guy , tell me. ^^

#201555 - 11/23/05 11:41 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
Ironfoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: St. Clair Shores, MI USA
Like Oldman's experience, my worst case was kids who didn't want to be there. Mom was dedicated, but her boy & girl would just SIT DOWN if you weren't watching. And the girl kept on bugging me DURING a class why she couldn't go buy a soda. Mom finally had to quit - I guess she was outvoted.

#201556 - 11/24/05 10:45 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Celerity]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

#201557 - 11/24/05 10:24 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
phoenixsflame Offline

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
I think one of the worst students I had, unfortunately started off at the same time I did, however he was younger by three years. Thus, when I hit green belt (Its required to Sempai if you want to continue on in the dojo I was in.) I ended up his Sempai even though he was a rank behind me. He did everything in his power to try to mess me up, including telling the class all the techniques I was showing were incorrect, trying to correct my counting, etc, etc...

It was very disrespectful. He ended up stopping once the other students got bored with his childishness, lol. Other then that, most of the students and people I pracitced with were good.

*Note : Although at one point I was in a Tournament in San Diego, and someone tried to walk up and take our weapons, lol. I thought it was the wierdest thing. It was a Dojo from Spain I believe, it was a few years ago and we were all horrified because none of us knew any spanish, so I screamed out. "PALO ENFUAGO!" (I think thats how it is spelled) Which basically is. "Stick on Fire!" and the guy drops our weapons in the case and bolts, lol.

Thats about it. Other then psychotic children who blocked with their face.

#201558 - 11/30/05 09:39 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: phoenixsflame]
LameDojoHater Offline

Here's my favorite. Students that Show up, quit for three months, show up three times a session, and basically take a year to reach Green Belt.

There's this one student that was a High Green when I was a white belt. I'm now a Green belt lol. This guy does his forms like he's drunk (too fast, too sloppy). And he never ever kicks above his own belt level. Even in sparring.

Then there's another student who is a fellow Green Belt. He can kick well, but sometimes his kata looks subpar. The really annoying thing about him is he thinks he outranks me because he's been a green belt before. So he tries to make me move out the senior belt position in my row.

Then there's the worst of them... This one kid was an Orange Belt when I was a White Belt. Now we are both Green Belts, and he too thinks he outranks me. Even though I got my green belt three weeks before him. The guy not only sucks at forms, but he doesn't even remember Dan Gun, or Half of Do San.

One of these days I'm taking my old Blue/Red belt certificates to class to shut these kids up.

#201559 - 11/30/05 09:42 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: LameDojoHater]
Christie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Waterloo, ON
LDH ... you are far too caught up with rank

And who are you to judge what is subpar and what isn't, you yourself are still a beginner

#201560 - 11/30/05 11:45 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: LameDojoHater]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Quote:

The really annoying thing about him is he thinks he outranks me because he's been a green belt before. So he tries to make me move out the senior belt position in my row.

Reality check: He does outrank you.

Please grow up and don't take his spot in the row.

#201561 - 11/30/05 11:53 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: LameDojoHater]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

any minute I'm expecting a post from someone describing you as the thread topic. lol

#201562 - 12/01/05 01:48 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: LameDojoHater]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Lame-o,

It took me more than a year to reach green-belt.
I also do not kick above the waist.
I'd post a video if I could so you can judge my kata.lol.

Ed has it right.

#201563 - 12/01/05 08:49 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: BrianS]
Zombie Zero Offline
Compliance & Liability
Veteran

Loc: Lorton, VA
Lame,

If any of my students were as arrogant and disrespectful as you, they'd wind up having the hardest knuckles in the state.

#201564 - 12/01/05 07:00 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: LameDojoHater]
srv Offline
The OTHER forum Doctor

Loc: SA, Australia
LDH - I don't get your name - do you hate "lame dojos" or are you a lame "dojo hater" hmmmm

I agree with everything the others have said. Rank is not that important. You seem too caught up with competing with everyone around you and way to focussed on "wow I started 6 months after him and we're both the same rank, How good am I" Ignoring the fact that as you progress up the ranks it takes longer and longer to achieve the next belt so most people who start within a year of each other will end up the same rank eventually. You have not yet realised that training in martial arts is an idividual journey. You must work together with your fellow students but ultimately it is about bettering yourself, not a race to the next belt. No matter who gets there "first", your green belt is no better or worse than anyone elses. The belt just denotes a minimum level of proficiency in an individual style. Oh, and the guy who got his green belt before you does outrank you (since rank is so important to you)
As for kicks above the waist - my head instructor has been training for over 40 years - he had a serious accident several years ago and now cannot kick above his waist but I have a feeling he'd still kick your a$$!
I'm assuming that you are still young, but consider focussing on your own training, not everyone elses, and a dojo works better if everyone is trying to help each other out, not bit$$ing about each other behind people's backs.

#201565 - 12/02/05 01:54 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: srv]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
Quote:

cannot kick above his waist but I have a feeling he'd still kick your a$$!

Your feeling is right of course; the A$$ is below the waist

#201566 - 12/02/05 02:20 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: ButterflyPalm]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Quote:

Quote:

Some people's are located on their shoulders.

#201567 - 12/02/05 09:22 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: BrianS]
MidwestTwinFists Offline

Quote:

Lame-o,

It took me more than a year to reach green-belt.
I also do not kick above the waist.
I'd post a video if I could so you can judge my kata.lol.

Ed has it right.

I agree, its been about 10 months for me and I'm going to be testing for Orange Belt soon. Well, I guess it is only one class a week. My main instructor is also my high school principal and he has a roughly 30 minute class, every day, all year available for 11th and 12th graders. I'm in 10th grade, so I can't take it yet, although a few lucky students in my grade got in somehow this year.

#201568 - 12/02/05 10:49 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: BrianS]
srv Offline
The OTHER forum Doctor

Loc: SA, Australia
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Haha - You got me there.
But his A$$ would hurt pretty bad after a low, below waist a$$ kick from my instructor!

#201569 - 01/01/06 05:27 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
Street_Poet Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
lol this thread cracks me up.

1 dude who everyone laughed at (sry) but he never cut his toe nails and once he cut the sensei and made him bleed cuz his nails were really that long. this same guy shakes like CRAZY, fights like hes on crack, its so funny the whole dojo tries so hard not to laugh.

this other dude gets on my nerves, seriously, he cant fight , but he gets points for YELLING PSYCHO-LOUD, but he doesnt even make contact. he'll throw 2 punches that miss n yell like 9 times. it gets on my nerves.

#201570 - 01/11/06 11:04 AM The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Student: one who has a desire to learn, to explore, to study and understand a body of knowledge.

There was a fellow who was literally quite lethal in several signature techniques. He had honed them to an exquisit breathtaking degree. Once he achieved that level of sharpness however... he had a strong irresistable need to SHOW people them, whether appropriate, necessary or otherwise...

~...Hi Aragorn... haven't seen you for a while, how are you doing... how's Jane, the kids..."

"... all fine... great... how's YOUR backfist (eyes lighting up body throwing the proverbial switches in preparaition of showing you his dangerous technique...)"

Ugggh.

J

#201571 - 01/15/06 01:28 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ronin1966]
tao_majick Offline

Loc: Bradenton, FL, USA
When I was in highschool I wrestled my sophomore year to my senior year. At the begining of every season we would have 40 or 50 people come out and a month later we'd thin down to about half that. There were two guys who stuck out in my mind.

I remember one guy who wrestled in my weight class every day he would complain about the conditioning and be upset with the fact he could hardly ever take me down. He quit a few months into the season.

I remember some annoying kid who would do nothing but talk during the coach's instruction. He quit within a few weeks.

#201572 - 01/24/06 12:34 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: ShikataGaNai]
Eveal Offline
the freshmaker

Quote:

i've heard this one before. a guy told me he wouldn't shake my hand or knuckle up or anything because he was worried about me robbing his chi. he got upset when i asked him if he robs himself when he takes a shower.

LOL! I fell out of the chair with this one.

*Before I started to teach my instructor was head of the junior division at our school. I remember this one kid in there that would try to hit people in sparring with the "Tornado Technique". He would have his arms straight out and spin like crazy trying to hit people with it until our very best student sidekicked him into a wall. I felt bad for the kid but he didnt last that long anyways.*

Sadly enough we run a strict school and alot of people weed out very quickly with our rules. I have seen some funny things students do but thats a whole new thread.

#201573 - 01/24/06 12:41 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Eveal]
funstick5000 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: West Yorkshire, England
please will you make that thread. i get the feeling you've got some pretty funny stories up your sleeve.

#201574 - 01/25/06 10:55 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: funstick5000]
KarlHTKDSTUDENT Offline

Worst I ever had was a kid who left when his mom came, and a arogant kid who used his training to beat up younger kids than him at school, but i got to straighten him out in sparring lol !

#201575 - 01/26/06 11:27 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: KarlHTKDSTUDENT]
Vivier Offline

The worst I have ever seen is a guy who would sweat buckets while we would be doing techniques (Aikido) you couldnt even hold onto his wrist because it was so slippery or when he would pin you and you were on the ground you could feel the sweat run off of him and hit you in the back off the head. another was this kid who just went along with everything didnt put any restraint or any strength making alot of the moves difficult for some reason it just got frustrating because he was like a dead fish.

#201576 - 01/28/06 11:25 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Vivier]
jamestkdkungfu Offline

there was this one guy who joined and i had known him since he was 5 now he is 16 he started doing kindai bujitsu (new solely self defence martial art in nova scotia) anyways we have been trying for 5 months how to reverse punch he still doesnt have a clue...even the inserctor is confused and he is an excellent teacher...

#201577 - 01/28/06 06:31 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: jamestkdkungfu]
Raul Perez Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Lake Ronkonkoma, NY, USA
*about 3 months ago one of my instructors was teaching a student privately and then asked me to take him...as he was getting too busy with work (or as the lie goes ) turns out the kid was a nightmare! would run around screaming, wouldnt stay still, would just sit down and pout "I DONT LIKE KARATE"... oh and laid down while running in a circle (Homer Simpson Style). came to a point where I looked up at the father and asked him to step on the floor to receive some instruction since his son was not willing. He declined and he paid for one more private lesson. He showed up for the last lesson and I basically "beat" his son with a foam bopper the whole 30min. of course I gave the kid one too (did him little good MUUUHAHAHA)

*had one woman join who was just a little off if you know what I mean. Completely uncoordinated. Punched herself in the face doing a double block. And always clearing her throat in a weird way. Always asked the "What If" questions.

*had one guy come in the club who was also a little off personality wise. Never really listened to the instructors regarding form and structure as he had taken Aikido previously. Didnt pass his orange belt exam (2nd belt) because of this. My instructor at the time (a woman) took him aside privately when I wasnt there and told him he had failed but will give him a chance to make it up. Turns out he freaked out on her in a very uncomfortable way. Her husband (also my instructor) told me what happened and said if he comes back that I had to Bogu him with extreme prejudice since I was the senior student. Luckily he never returned.

not as good as the others but thats all I got.

#201578 - 01/28/06 08:26 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Raul Perez]
Enray Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I don't teach, but Ihave helped out the lower belts with their katas. We've never really had any trouble. Except for when one kid attacked his teacher with nunchaku outside of the class. After that, we stopped selling real nunchaku and just sold the training pair.

#201579 - 02/01/06 07:46 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Enray]
Eveal Offline
the freshmaker

I remember this one kid that came to our class. I really think this kid was sheltered from the outside world because he didn't know how to act around people. His favorite thing to say was "I was wondering" no matter what the situation was he had to wonder something about it. Well this kid would over commit all of his technique so bad that it just made him look sloppy and pointless. I think the kid just thought he looked so cool in a Gi lol. Well the last straw was when I was working with him on some Ippon Kumite and I was being very impatient with him because of his disrespect for the ranks and talking out of turn and things. I was working him on his punching and I told him to punch forward and keep his shoulders square. He over commited again and punched me right in the nose. I felt my body started boiling and I got mad actually very mad because my face was no where near where his fist should have went so I took him off the mat and told him "You have a lack of discipline and no control and you never listen to a word I say. I told him I was about 3 seconds from putting his face in the ground (I know, bad Sensei). I could see with this kid after all the attempts to teach him that it was a waste of my time. He left and never came back but it was for the best.

He was a teenager not a kid so don't mistake that lol.

#201580 - 02/01/06 07:51 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Eveal]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
Your sig quote might have helped you in that situation!

Quote:

Be "Water" my friend!

#201581 - 02/01/06 11:27 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Lets see...

The huge fellow who practiced at 350% in class from warmup onward (directly caused by his badge & gun profession) and injured too many to name...

The young man who came through the door and having watched for all of an hour speaking with the head instructor proclaimed aloud "...that technique would never work... and he's doing it wrong..." He stayed for years afterward...

The angry little boy who refused to understand why we didn't get to the REAL jumping, flying, kicking techniques like on TV and spent all this time doing stupid boring drills...

The young boy who literally could not be silent for 60 seconds...ever! All kinds of techniques, all kinds of situations... techniques used to prevent it, not a single one ever worked.

There could be lots...
J

#201582 - 02/02/06 03:15 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
VigilanteSilver Offline

Loc: Location, Location!
At my old school we had (emphasis on that word) no less than three of what we less-than-affectionately called "The Anime Kids."

Now I know as much about anime as a vegetarian knows about sirloins, so forgive me if I sound like I'm blowing steam out of my you-know-what.

But anydangways, these kids were only into the martial arts for the sole purpose of becoming some kind of Dragonball Z/Kenshin hybrid superbeast. It's all they talked about, and they mimed hand movements and noises and powerup sounds from their favorite video games n stuff. It was totally bizarre, and pathetically enough these people were all between the ages of fifteen and twenty. Yikes.

#201583 - 02/04/06 04:55 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ronin1966]
SubZero Offline
Will breakfall for food

Eveal and Enray, those incidents cracked me up. I'm not an instructor but just picturing it made me laugh. Would either of you mind if I used your quotes on another non-martial art related website?

#201584 - 02/08/06 06:40 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: SubZero]
Eveal Offline
the freshmaker

Quote:

Eveal and Enray, those incidents cracked me up. I'm not an instructor but just picturing it made me laugh. Would either of you mind if I used your quotes on another non-martial art related website?

Hey SubZero,

I don't mind go ahead bro !

#201585 - 02/11/06 02:20 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Eveal]
chickenchaser Offline

Loc: Auburn,New York,U.S.A.
hmmmmm worst ever eh....... okay picture this...... it's getting close to test time and the test list is up on the board, sensie tells everyone "make sure you look to see if you are testing" at the end of class. so everyone is looking at the test list, everyone is happy to even see their name up there, except one kid who is about 15 years old. he says " hey i'm only getting a stripe! i don't belive this" and to make matters worse the kid actually got a higher promotion because of his father..... i was very upset and now that he has his ill gotten belt i say fine i will train with him as if he actually were up-to-speed enough to actually train at his so-called level and he comlains about it...........GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!! ( i'm sorry mr. makiwara board but it's what you are here for ichi,ni,san,shi,go,roku........)

#201586 - 02/15/06 09:28 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: chickenchaser]
KarlHTKDSTUDENT Offline

These are really good stories lol!
-Karl

#201587 - 02/18/06 07:13 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: KarlHTKDSTUDENT]
wolfman Offline

I've got a couple. One was a kid who's hands were always digging and scathing all over his body. The head instrutor was unable to work with him and always tryed to get my wife or me to work with him. Because of this kids body habits it made my skin claw to touch him. After class as fast as posible I have to go to the restroom to wash. I might add this kid had soom real promblems.
Another student on my level was always trying to grapple with me. I always won even tought I'm older and slower, I was just better at it[no not better then everyone just better then him]. After he lost a couple times right before he quite, he started to tell me why he tought he really should have won, even thought he had always tapped out.
Now I'm off in my own school and one night I'm teaching basic grapping when a new 16 year old student graps me about the neck without warning and wants to know what I would do. Don't you love it when they ask for it, but he didn't learn either. He didn't last that long either.
well have fun Alan

#201588 - 02/19/06 12:40 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Dudley32]
Kimpatsu Offline

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Quote:

If there seriously is Japanese Kung Fu somebody tell me . It would be Karate right??

There are Japanese schools that are interpretations of Chinese Kung Fu (really, Wu Shu) founded by Japanese nationals who have studied Kung Fu from Chinese instructors. You see them in places with big Chinatowns, like Yokohama and Kobe. They tend to be very small, however, and often fold quite quickly. The cultural pressure to study the Japanese arts is great.

#201589 - 02/19/06 12:46 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: BrianS]
Kimpatsu Offline

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Quote:

...And there's Tang Soo Do, too...
The original word "karate" was written with characters meaning "Cathay (i.e., old China) hand", but this was changed to the euphonic "empty hand" during the days of Japanese nationalism in the 1930s. (In case anyone reading this didn't know.)
The Korean art of Tang Soo Do is the Korean pronounciation of the characters for "Cathay hand".

#201590 - 05/19/06 05:44 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
jliu Offline

Loc: Montville, NJ, USA
Forgive me if I sound arrogant, but one of my fellow classmates was pathetic. He practically "danced" through every class, and just "danced" through kata. No enthusiasm, always asked a lot of nonsensical questions, very immature.

This guy also possessed some very wierd sparring guard postures. My favorite one was when he would lean forward, shove his hips out behind him, and seems to just want to block kicks. One time, i faked a kick, he went to block, and fell over from the lack of balance. In front of the entire class.

Beats me why he still studies MA...

#201591 - 05/22/06 06:25 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: jliu]
shark40sw Offline
Stranger

I had a fellow student in Goju one time that was a real joy to work with. He was a big guy (6" 4-5" 210lbs at least) with an even bigger attitude. He was a prison guard and approached people the same way he did the inmates. Always in your space, very intence, and tried to intimidate everyone he worked with. If you had to do a drill with him there was never any give, he would just push people around and tell them their technique would never work on him. Wrist locks, arm locks were a nightmare to learn for most people when working with him. I learned that by introducing him to what I now know as an atemi waza it made him much more agreeable to a lock technique (re-knee to the thigh, thumb to the arm pitt then apply the lock-very hard) Suprisingly enough his reaction (once released) was to smile and tell me how much he liked working with me because I wasn't afraid to mix it up like some people in the class.
It takes all kinds.

#201592 - 05/22/06 10:32 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: shark40sw]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Shark,
I met one of my best buddies at a seminar where we were banging on each other's arms doing drills. I told him it was good to find somebody that wasn't afraid to hit somebody during training. Mutual bruises can make good friends.

#201593 - 05/23/06 12:10 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: wristtwister]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Quote:

Shark,
I met one of my best buddies at a seminar where we were banging on each other's arms doing drills. I told him it was good to find somebody that wasn't afraid to hit somebody during training. Mutual bruises can make good friends.

That's the way I like it!!!

#201594 - 05/23/06 12:49 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: BrianS]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I guess enough time has passed, to mention about this guy who was at a family dojo I was a student at briefly. Before his first class, he comes out and the first thing he does is go to the middle of the dojo floor and does a full split. lol o...k. impressive. what was funny is two of the wise-ass brown belts who have a great sense of humor, acted like they were clapping applause.
later, I talked with him and turns out he took a japanese style of competition karate...a derrivitive of shotokan. he made it a point to bad-mouth okinawan styles of karate as non-effective for defense, kicks too low, damaging training methods, dumb looking kata, no power etc. I let him ramble on until he asked if I did any styles previous to 'this place'. I said yes, Goju Ryu. he never heard of it. I asked him if he ever heard of Matsubayashi Ryu, he said yes, he tried it before but didn't like it. I let him in on the fact Goju and Matsubayashi are 2 fairly popular, if not main styles on Okinawa since they originated there. {blank stare}. I also pointed out the kanji on the wall in the dojo, and the kamiza that had a picture of Nagamine...asked him if that struck any bells with him...nope. I had to break it to him, that he was once again a member of a Matsubayashi dojo. lol
during class, he had the most rediculous kiai that sounded like a high pitched cry for a trophy, I swear I saw some chips of paint fall after his shreiks. he went to a few classes and then disappeared...echos of his kiai could still be heard when you pressed your ear to the kamiza wall.

lol...clueless.

#201595 - 05/23/06 08:14 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
Revanus Offline

Loc: No ( r ) way
*We have this older woman who is always chewing on garlic during classes and using it like chewing tobbaco... Her techniques have no power, she doesn't know how to put her feet in which direction, and she has trained for almost two years! One time I sparred with her, and when she attacked and let out a kiai, I almost fainted because of the strong garlic odor! That was creepy...

*We had this fat 14 year old kid who came to classes for three months. While always telling me he had done this and that sport for so and so long, it didn't look like he even had taken the effort to even THINK about doing sports. Apparently, he had done icehockey, swimming, soccer, mountainclimbing and running. He always wanted to learn how to do a flying kick, while he didn't even know how to punch. One day he asked the sensei how he could beat up someone at his school, and sensei replied: "we don't beat up people, be learn to avoid getting beaten up ourselves". Never saw the kid again...

#201596 - 05/24/06 06:25 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Revanus]
ThomsonsPier Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
Quote:

*We have this older woman who is always chewing on garlic during classes and using it like chewing tobbaco... Her techniques have no power, she doesn't know how to put her feet in which direction, and she has trained for almost two years! One time I sparred with her, and when she attacked and let out a kiai, I almost fainted because of the strong garlic odor! That was creepy...

Had she also been learning to fight with a stake, and carry a water pistol filled from a baptismal font?

War. It's fan-tastic!

#201597 - 05/26/06 07:07 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Revanus]
Foundation Offline

Quote:

Great, you are supposed to keep the secret of the no touch KO's secret, now everyone here will be using it.

#201598 - 05/26/06 01:21 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
Steel91 Offline

Loc: Alabama
I'm not the instructor but am the highest ranking student in the class and there was this other kid in there who was a year older than me and wastaking the class with his dad, he was there for almost as long as I had been up until he quit, but he never tried anything to his full potential, and was sloppy, and when he would get something wrong, which he did a lot he would laugh about it and go on, I think his dad made him stay in too long, his dad was pretty good and was a black belt, however, during my brown belt test, (and the other kid's) he used the wrong technique to get out of a bearhug and supposedly broke his ankle so he quit and I haven't heard anything from his dad either.

#201599 - 06/26/06 04:28 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Steel91]
JamesV Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
There was a young kid (probably 9 or 10) at my dojo who just wouldn't shut up. My instructor kept threatening to sticky tape his mouth shut...so after a couple of weeks of threats he actually did it. Went into his office during the middle of class, got a big roll of duct tape and taped the kid all the way around his mouth and head.

#201600 - 07/05/06 09:10 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: JamesV]
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

Quote:

There was a young kid (probably 9 or 10) at my dojo who just wouldn't shut up. My instructor kept threatening to sticky tape his mouth shut...so after a couple of weeks of threats he actually did it. Went into his office during the middle of class, got a big roll of duct tape and taped the kid all the way around his mouth and head.

LOL! better hope the kids parents are not lawyers

#201601 - 07/05/06 10:21 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: pepto_bismol]
wristtwister Offline

We have an elderly lady in our class who is very nice, but she can't remember left and right, and while she's doing techniques gets confused about what to do. When you add "omote and ura" to it, she starts talking her way through the techniques, getting hung up on details and missing the entire purpose of what she's trying to accomplish.

She's a horrible student, but a great person, and has stayed with her study for over 6 years without much advancement. I don't think she'll ever get any better, but she shows up and trains with the best of them.

#201602 - 07/07/06 12:19 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: wristtwister]
webby Offline

Loc: newton abbot devon
im a student not a teacher but....

* A tall goth..made it to yellow belt, nicknamed "the toe nail". when ever he had to spar his opponiant gi was covverd in blood...his toe nails always scratched people....eww.

* A slighty chunkly lady who thought she new every thing about karate...after realising that she new nout left after 3 weeks...

#201603 - 07/18/06 01:49 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: webby]
Mistro Offline
Stranger

Loc: Toronto Ontario
Ive had little white belt kiddies actually take a crap in class

My sensei had to take a day off so he asked me to take the class since I was the most comfortable with all the students and the little kids' parents. I had a senior brown belt there to help me aswell and I was about to start class, I noticed a few chunks of brown material on the floor. I ignored it for a while and during a break I went to the changeroom to grab myself some water.

When I came back I noticed the brown belt lookign inquisitively at the floor. I questioned him and he was like "sensei... there is a trail of brown material going from one side of the class to wehre the white belts stand."

I noticed that the once "Chunk" i had seen at the start of class was now a smear on the mats. And there were more smears aswell as half stepped on chunks leading to where the white belts stand. I called everyone back up and made it a point to tell them to stand exactly where they had stood at the start of class. Upon this, I told them to stay there and went to investigate the washroom.

Upon my entry i was met with a horrid stench that would have made tarzan's underarms jealous. I quickly ran for the lysol bottle and sprayed probably half the bottle in there.

Upon dumbing down the stench a fair amount i proceeded to caustiosly travel further into the washroom towards the toilet. Upon lookign in, i was met with a horrid mix of what seemed to be groundbeef mixed with some still whole (no joke here) peas.

I immediately ran back into the class, making it a point to take the long way to let the odour out of my gi a little bit and proceded to follow the trail of browness to the whitebelts.

Upon doing so, I ordered them all into kipodachi (sp?) or horse stance i guess it can be called. Upon further investigation of the students' gi's, (a very unpleasent and ackward experiance mind you) I was shocked to find absolutely not one student with a brown stain on their rear areas or down their legs.

So how does one take a crap in their pants, walk aroudn with it enough to let the chunks fall otu of their pants, and end up 1) not smelling, 2) without a trace of gump on their gi's?

needless to say the dojo was shut down for one day while we fully cleaned up and sanitized the place...

two weeks later, this happened again, and once again we were unable to find the culprit. However this time my sensei was also presetn to witness the miracle since he was having a hard tiem believeing me (and trying to speak without laughing too much).

We are yet to find the person who committed these crimes but it has been two months and no similar event has occured...

Edited by Mistro (07/18/06 01:50 PM)

#201604 - 07/20/06 01:46 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Mistro]
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

LOL wouldn't it be funny if the brown belt was the culprit? Hence making his belt "brown"

great figurative language in your post im gunna have to save that story, wish I could of seen it myself. How old are the kids you are teaching?

#201605 - 07/20/06 03:05 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: pepto_bismol]
Mistro Offline
Stranger

Loc: Toronto Ontario
The particular class I was teaching had a bunch of white belts aged about from the youngest being 6 and the oldest around 12. The rest of the students were above that. Its usually tough to teach them katas and fighting techniques when their that young so we usually play teamwork based games and stuff with them before their old enoguh to learn "karate".

Hopefully it wasn't one of the brown belts since they are all above 15 years of age and hopefulyl potty trained

#201606 - 07/20/06 03:27 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: BrianS]
Tower_Bloodthorn Offline

I did Judo for two months. To get me up to speed, they kept pairing me up with black belts. Including the instructor, we had 5 black belts. Two of them were interesting characters. The one guy was from Eastern Europe and went WAY to hard at everything. They would have me randori with the black belts every so often. Not going all out to see if I could hold my own against them, but just enough so that I could get the feel of moving around with people who had the techniques down. This European guy would annihilate me when we'd randori. I barely knew how to break falls and he would come in and beat me like I owed him money. When the sensei paired me up with him to learn some ne-waza, I knew things were going to get ugly. I didn't know much aside from a few submission holds I'd seen in books and that wasn't going to do me much good. We'd kneel down, bow, and before I knew it, I was upside down, backwards and being strangled by my gi. Sometimes my hands would be tied up and I'd have problems tapping. I had to struggle to get my leg somewhere near the ground so I could tap out with my foot. I actually learned the most from training with this guy, even though he treated every sparring session as an assassination attempt against me.

The other guy was an older gentleman. He was a nice old man. He tried to help me as much as possible. What was the problem you ask? This guy REEKED of old, stale cigarettes. It was enough to gag a maggot. If there's one thing I learned about myself through these classes, it was that I could hold my breath for much longer than I ever thought possible. He had a gi that was stained beyond recognition too. I always prayed that they wouldn't pair me up with him. They always did. Sometimes he would show my some ne waza and I wanted to tap just from his odor. When he'd put me in holds, I wanted to vomit.

The rest of the class consisted of 12-14 year olds and one 16 year old. I'm 20. I REALLY didn't feel comfortable having to randori with a 12 year old girl. I was always afraid I would fall on her and crush her. The other kids acted like kids with the exception of the 16 year old. I liked working with him. He had been training for quite some time. He was a brown belt. He knew when to do what when we would randori. He didn't kill me, but he went hard enough that I had no choice but to improve a bit. Every so often, he'd allow me to get a throw off on him. I learned a lot from him.

There was a younger kid in that class (a 12 year old boy) who had the worst attention deficit in the world. I have a dissociative disorder and this kid still outclassed me. We'd be training in ne-waza and he'd just start rambling and trying to drive on me. If I said that wasn't a bit unnerving, I'd be lying.

There was a 13 year old girl there that was almost as tall as I am (5'9") and outweighed my by a decent sum. She never spoke and she didn't even attempt to fight back when she'd randori. She was like a log. She'd just let you pull of whatever throw you wanted. However, she was deathly afraid of throws which caused her to flip over, such as Ippon seoinage. If you attempted that on her, she'd freak out and counter it by planting you on the ground. I never thought a 13 year old could manhandle me the way that this girl did when I attempted a seionage on her.

#201607 - 07/20/06 03:52 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Tower_Bloodthorn]
KarlHTKDSTUDENT Offline

Similar to Mistro's story, at my old dojang we had a similar student, around maybe 10-11, who before class decided to relieve themselves on the dojang floor. Unfortunatly he had caught a virus that was going around and that was the reason fo the accident, but diharea is diharea......
-Karl

#201608 - 07/27/06 11:59 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: KarlHTKDSTUDENT]
Kazama Offline
mystical mountain hermit

There is one girl who spars. Her front kicks always hit my "jewels" insead of my chin. Now I wear a cup to class.

#201609 - 08/08/06 01:56 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: KarlHTKDSTUDENT]
kerris75 Offline
Stranger

Loc: BC, Canada
I've had a few doozies. Luckily never had to clean up the brown stuff, but there have definitely been puddles. Boy, oh boy, have there been puddles. One time it happened during the belt testing. Kudos to the kid becuase he still came back after that mortifying experience.
Most of the adult students are pretty good. Some of the kids though...wow. ADHD to the extreme. The kids white belt class is my own personal hell. Three particular kids, when in the same class, become demons of the tenth order. One day, when there were no assistants to help me, I had a white a belt class of twenty with these three boys in it. I'm still traumatized. One of the boys (who is 4 years old and has no attention span whatsoever - personally I think he is too immature for martial arts) really made my day by calling me a stupid-head in front of the whole class. I think that day ranks as one of my personal worst...ever.
Regarding adults, the worst problem is the chronic gas of a couple of the guys. It's the worst when we do any abdominal conditioning. P-U!

#201610 - 08/08/06 09:27 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: kerris75]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

lol...I certainly don't envy all of the teachers/baby sitters out there changing toddlers gi-diapers in between nap times. you DO realize that while you call it teaching 'martial arts' to preschoolers, what you are actually doing is providing a playgym at a fraction of the cost of an actual playgym - hence a possible reason parents decide to drop their toddlers in a kidojo. around this area, we have an actual playgym called 'kidsports' that doesn't need to masquarade as a lil' ninja school or anything since they have qualified and trained staff to teach preschoolers without requiring that they wear costumes with illusionary rank prizes. The kids are introduced to all different types of sports and the staff are trained or are college students in early childhood development fields....they even know how to change diapers and deal with 'accidents'.

so anyone saying that toddlers/young kids are 'the worst students ever' needs a reality check and should peek their own diaper....the youngins aren't bad students - they are just at the wrong place with unqualified staff. kids younger than 2nd grade are better served with a variety of introductory sport activities at qualified playgyms not dojo lil dragon programs that are just looking to increase monthly revenue.

think about that next time you are moping up formula and stomach acid or have to stop class while someone tantrums for their binky or next belt color.

#201611 - 08/11/06 06:06 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: webby]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
well in our dojo we have this one guy whos about 16, the funny bit is that at orange belt level( like me ) he knows almost nothing of the art, and when we spar he goes into a ridiculous mortal kombat stance (scorpion) , with the fist beghind the head and other hand dropped low, and he bounces around like its tekken lol, its incredibly funny to watch lol..if anyone played mortal kombat theyll know what i mean :D:D

#201612 - 08/16/06 10:59 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: crablord]
faarkuin Offline
Stranger

omg we had this one kid that would probably spend about an hour just spinning round in circles...he didn't last long, then we had this little kid that would kick everyone in the ass as they were stretching, i think she got kicked out lol then we have this guy who *charges* himself with the power from his gem stones before sparring!!!

#201613 - 08/16/06 04:21 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
jonnyboxcutter Offline

I don’t know if this would count as the worst ever but…

The students that frustrate me the most are the ones that “know” every form ever created but can’t do any of them correctly.

I had a student in about as snotty of a tone as could be mustered tell me “Well I know 14 forms!!!” She was assisting me in remembering one that I had not done in some time and she had made a major mistake; I attempted to correct her, and that was her response – best part is she is a few ranks below me. W/O skipping a beat I said “I can eat a whole gallon of ice cream, the problem is I just end up with a mess on the floor”. Apparently my comment was so random that she did not get what I was saying.

Since forms are what I work the hardest on I hold back on learning new ones. I get the “how many can you do” question a lot since most lower belts do know a higher quantity than I do; I usually just say that I am still working on 1 but for some reason she struck a nerve.

I actually had a 3rd degree come down hard on me that I did not know a sufficient number of forms. He was the assistant instructor for that particular class and he did not know me at all; he really went over board, to the point of telling me in front of the class that I should not even be wearing my BB any more. I approached him after class and politely asked him to Demo first form w/opponents for me cuz I needed some help with it. He gave me a huff and grabbed a few students and set up the scenario - we use the pawlge forms. He went with the standard turn down block against a kick, step outside block against a punch. I politely commented that what I was needing help with was this – I set up a different scenario controlling 3 students per move only doing the first two moves (Down block, outside block). When I got to this point I said I was looking for help on the turn. He gave this odd look so I just said I would ask the GM. I thanked him for his time and walked away. The instructor for the class just giggled (he was my buddy and knew where I was going). The next week the same 3rd degree asked if I could help him out w/his lower forms. Personally I thought it was better than an apology.

Like I said, not the worst ever but funny non the less,

-JBC-

#201614 - 08/17/06 02:59 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: jonnyboxcutter]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

haha johnny theres a little fat kid in our class who knows all the katas up to brown belt, But yet he couldnt get a hit on me during sparring if his life depended on it XD

#201615 - 08/17/06 11:01 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: crablord]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

haha johnny theres a little fat kid in our class who knows all the katas up to brown belt, But yet he couldnt get a hit on me during sparring if his life depended on it XD

Hi there.

He might one day.

#201616 - 08/17/06 02:34 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: crablord]
SubZero Offline
Will breakfall for food

Quote:

well in our dojo we have this one guy whos about 16, the funny bit is that at orange belt level( like me ) he knows almost nothing of the art, and when we spar he goes into a ridiculous mortal kombat stance (scorpion) , with the fist beghind the head and other hand dropped low, and he bounces around like its tekken lol, its incredibly funny to watch lol..if anyone played mortal kombat theyll know what i mean :D:D

Hey now that's a cool looking stance...it may not be effective but it looks nice.

#201617 - 08/17/06 02:55 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: SubZero]
jonnyboxcutter Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Hey now that's a cool looking stance...it may not be effective but it looks nice.

This reminds me of a kid we had. He always wanted to learn “X” like batman does.

- Teach me to kick down doors like batman does
- teach me to jump spin and kick like batman does

The list went on. The sad part was he was 15-16 years old. We had to assume that he had some issues…

-JBC-

#201618 - 08/18/06 03:42 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: jonnyboxcutter]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

lol kick down doors? Im sure he wouldve had some issues.

#201619 - 08/18/06 01:35 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: crablord]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
My personal fav's are the guys that always want to "fight."

But oddly don't wish to spar with anyone older, larger, higher ranked, or just plain meaner.

Pretty much want to "fight" with people smaller, weaker, lower ranked etc.

Don't know if they are the "worst" but they sure are annoying

Edited by cxt (08/18/06 01:39 PM)

#201620 - 08/18/06 03:25 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
jonnyboxcutter Offline

I used to take Shinkendo for a bit. The class drew many MA people from all over the area. Well I apparently “offended” one of the MA guys from another school. When we where changing out, he approached me and started telling me how he could withstand 3,000 PSI to his forehead. He seriously asked me to hit him. He gets all squared up and got real animated about it. They guy was kinda freaking out wanting me to hit him in the head.

About a year or so later, I was talking to a kid from Vietnam that was telling me about a guy from this other school (at the time he did not use names) that called him up in front of the class and asked him to hit him in the stomach. He told me that in VN if an instructor asks you to do something you do it, so he hit him. The guy dropped like a rock.

Turns out it was the same guy.

-JBC-

#201621 - 08/18/06 11:21 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: cxt]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Its a bugger because i missed training for a month or so and all the people my age graded, while i stayed in the younger class, and since i cant spar 10 year olds, they put me with the blackbelts, i get whooped

#201622 - 09/02/06 12:25 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
clmibb Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Texas, US
I've been in my class for 15 years and in those years two kids in particular stand out in my mind.
*One little boy (very sweet story) was about 6-7 and I was one of the assistant instructors. He would insist on sitting next to me when the head instructor told everyone to have a seat in the back. He would just stare at me with admiring eyes and say,"Miss Harbaugh." "Yes?" "You look very pretty today." (I'm just in my uniform sweating a little) "Thank you." "Miss Harbaugh". "Yes?" "I like your hair like that." (it was just thrown in a pony tail with fly aways galore)"Thank you." It went on for months. I thought it was so sweet. Sorry to see him go.

*Child from hell. I had one student in my class that knew everything before it was taught to him. He would pick his nose and wipe his finger on his gi while I was talking to him. He would also scratch, burp and fart with no regard to others standing in front of him. Oh and he would also smell his arm pits periodically during class and no he didn't wear deodorant. I'm sure he had some issues. He was so bad the instructors would play rock, paper, scissors to see who would teach him that day. Not sorry he's gone!

*My personal favorites are the ones who start sparring for the first time and don't want to be paired up with me because I'm a female and they don't think that they would be able to learn anything from sparring a girl.(I'm about 5'6" and 130lbs) My instructor just looks at them and smiles. After I spar them they usually have a different out look on sparring "just a girl"

#201623 - 09/03/06 11:19 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
BulldogTKD Offline

I was teaching a class on sparring to help some students get ready for a big tournament and I was working with one of our female brown belts. We started and she would only throw a roundhouse kick or try to just step in and punch. Well when she would do this I would side kick her just above her belt. After I did this to her three or four times she got frustrated so I gave her some advice. Well that didn’t take because she kept doing the same thing. Then I told her that if she kept doing that I was going to keep kicking her. Well she stepped in and I side kicked her and I said “like that” then she did it again and I said the same thing. Well she kept doing the same thing, so I just started counting each time I side kicked her. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Then I got tired of that and we ended our match up so I could move on to someone else. She never did get it.

#201624 - 09/15/06 01:36 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Eveal]
Zyranyth Offline

Loc: Finland
I generally don't get easily annoyed by people - or atleast I used not to get. Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky.

Anyway, there was this one guy who knew it all before he started. He even knew things better than our sensei. One example that clings particularly well to my memory:

Guy (talking to sensei): "So, does anyone here use a shirasaya katana?" Then he adds to it with a really arrogant style (Because, after all, he (atleast in his own opinion) knew lots of things nobody else knew): "That is, the straight stick sword".

I get a huge urge to point out to him that he is mindbogglingly wrong, but decide to keep my mouth shut and see what our sensei says.

The sensei looks down while continuing to fold his hakama, smiling a bit. After half a minute or so of continuing his folding, he looks patiently up and explains politely that the shirasaya is the storage sheath of the blade, and not a type of sword.

And so, the guy switches to the next topic he thinks he knows better than anyone else.. And this would keep going on forever. I think people like this learned what they know from a mail order catalogue or something and are trying to constantly impress with their superior knowledge. REALLY annoying.

Edited by Zyranyth (09/15/06 01:45 AM)

#201625 - 09/17/06 12:54 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
austinquach Offline
Stranger

currently im a brown belt in karate but i have a few fellow student that could possibly be the worst.

he is a higher ranked brown belt. everytime he comes to class he always fake strikes a vital organ and says, "boom, i broke your neck" or something similar. also, at one point he told another brown belt that he had placed hidden cameras throughout his house and was spying on him. he is also the type that is very concerned with being the best and beating people during sparring. he always leeches off of others, drinking their drinks, eating their food, 'borrowing' money, never offering anything in return. he also has to know about everything that anyone else talks about and gets mad if we do not tell him. on top of that he responds harshly to criticism.

other than that, theres probably around 20 more things wrong with him that i can think of, but he works hard (not smart), has decent physical ability, and is loyal to our GM.

#201626 - 10/29/06 08:39 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
MA_Student Offline

I'm only a beginner, yellow belt. So second belt up. Anywys... there are people who have been there longer than me by far, older than me, stronger than me, that just don't seem to get it. One guy has the mind of a child. Me and him were practicing one steps, I showed him the right way, and I knew it was right or else sifu wouldn't have told me to teach him. And he goes and says, "but it should look something like this". He then proceeds to show me some ridiculous thing where he twists his whole body to the point of almost losing balance. From there hr tried to finish the block. Just really bad form. I don't get how he can take a martial art for a year or so and just have no form, no power, no anything.

Another guy, I was belt testing. One move in the one step requires you to block a roundhouse kick to the head. I was preparing to block and lo and behold... he kicked me in the nutes. Thankfully, it wasn't a very hard kick.

#201627 - 10/30/06 06:59 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: tao_majick]
TaekwondoChick Offline

hay everyone,
this thread is SOOOO funny im laughing out loud to myself.beginer in tkd so no stories yet!keep them coming!

Abigail, Ireland

#201628 - 12/12/06 03:46 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: TaekwondoChick]
Ted_Karate Offline

Loc: UK England Suffolk
Hey loving this thread by the way and also loving the forum. Woo FA.com!
1st post

Yeah so first impressions out of the way im a 5th kyu in Karate and my dojo has a varied selection of students....
One guy is terrible just took his 5th kyu an "passed" he is banned from grading for 6 months but recieved the belt anyway.

He complains about the standards of teaching constantly and cant accept the fact hes just a natural reject...anyhoo i was sparring against him and he flies forward guard down with no control, so i thanked him for the opportunity and landed a solid jab to the head! He picks himself up and proceeds to do a jump front kick, he flies forwards an lands on his face...apparently he "got me" with his extended hand i let brush my leg because i was too shocked to block it. He picks himself up again and does a round kick which i catch and he hits the deck for a third and final time.

Good news is hes decided to quit one less fool to bother me and seeing as a good friend of mine has decided to join the club it seems to be looking good socially in my dojo

Ted - good to finally be a part of this

#201629 - 12/18/06 12:40 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Dudley32]
Dervish Offline

Loc: NY, USA
Many years ago, I took Tae Kwon Do, and I was starting to get bored from the school *. So one day during the exercise portion of the class, instead of doing jumping jacks, I did a "jack". I didn't do the leg part at all, and needless to say, the Sah Bum Nim wasn't at all pleased :P I slacked off a lot during the ass end of my Tae Kwon Do experiences (if you're out there reading this, realizing who I am, I'm sorry, sah bum nim!).

* (IMO, the head instructor was very talented and respectable, but his dojang was getting a bit too commercial for my tastes; nothing wrong with that if you're into that sort of thing, it's just my personal preference)

#201630 - 12/23/06 11:06 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Dervish]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Right, new student to add. I help train the white belts in basic throws, anyway I was showing a guy how to do defense against a two handed grab (remove arm, step in, throw) and when I had finished demonstrating I grabbed him. Instead of doing said actions he gave me a massive haymaker in the face and gave me a blood nose...WTF????!!

#201631 - 12/24/06 02:17 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
Jeff_G Offline

Loc: Midwest
OK, how do I describe Bronstein?

As the entire class was going down the floor doing front punches in a front stance, the skill is rather basic...for most people. Bronstein, on the other hand, never mastered that coordinated technique.

As I call ONE, the entire class moves forward as a unit and punches with a resounding yell. Bronstein is still figuring out the step part. Now that he has moved one foot in front of the other, the punch part commences.

"OK, right foot, right hand. No, the other right hand. Now, punching hand turns palm down and the hand by your side turns palm up." I move the punching hand into place for him. "Now make the other hand palm up. NO, NO keep the punching hand palm down like this. Good, but keep the other hand palm up." Both hands turn. ARRRGH! I grab both hands and move them into place. "Now STAY like that for just a second." The rest of the room has waited paitently, holding the stance, sweating, with arms getting heavy as the minutes tick by during the time it took to get Bronstein's first step sorted out.

Oh my, "Ready, TWO!" And we start the confusion of which hand is out, palm up, palm down all over again. "No, no, the other..."

Poor Bronstein only lasted a month or so in the class but his memory lives on. Whenever a new student was having a tough time sorting out the basics of a skill, I would tell them about Bronstein and how well they are doing by comparison.

Thereafter, if someone was having a really bad day, it became, "Someone is having a Bronstein day!"

#201632 - 01/03/07 02:41 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Jeff_G]
shadowkahn Offline
anti-stupid crusader

Had a guy, probably mid 20's, who took one of our half day seminars. It was a "hey come in for free, see what we do, then join us and learn something" event. He found out we worked pressure points and promptly informed us that they don't exist, his mom's a nurse and she told him there's no such thing, but you can pinch various veins, especially in the upper arm, to knock them out and/or kill them. Yammered about this garbage for about half an hour. . then got very angry when I suggested he conduct his own Nurse Fu seminar

#201633 - 03/20/07 09:01 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: shadowkahn]
evad74 Offline

Loc: Qld, Australia
Trained with a guy once who just straight out wasted everyones time. He wasn't very good at anything we did, but this wasn't the problem. The problem was he was lazy, he just didn't try at all.

He would give a half hearted attempt at a technique and give up halfway through it because he didn't think it was going to work perfectly. He was so busy talking and making excuses, he didn't listen or learn at all and generally he displayed no thought to anyone elses training when they were paired up with him, just soaked up 90% of the time on him trying things half heartedly and then talked about why he couldn't do them the other 10% - leaving his partner with no chance of their own. I still wonder why he ever bothered at all.

#201634 - 04/07/07 04:28 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Kazama]
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

hey, just wondering. Do you live in the san francisco bay area?

#201635 - 06/03/07 03:10 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: crablord]
jpoor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fairfax, VA
Quote:

Right, new student to add. I help train the white belts in basic throws, anyway I was showing a guy how to do defense against a two handed grab (remove arm, step in, throw) and when I had finished demonstrating I grabbed him. Instead of doing said actions he gave me a massive haymaker in the face and gave me a blood nose...WTF????!!

Did it work?

#201636 - 06/03/07 10:41 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: jpoor]
wristtwister Offline

I love giving instructions to the bad students...

"No, your other right hand"... (insert foot, arm, "left" etc.)
"No, step outside of the body, or you'll run into them..."
"No, keep moving..."
"No, your other katate grip..."
"Are we leading, or following?"
"Try getting out of the way first..."
"Twist the wrist..."

... and my all time favorite... "down always works"...

#201637 - 06/04/07 03:04 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: wristtwister]
clmibb Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I love giving instructions to the bad students...

"No, your other right hand"... (insert foot, arm, "left" etc.)
"No, step outside of the body, or you'll run into them..."
"No, keep moving..."
"No, your other katate grip..."
"Are we leading, or following?"
"Try getting out of the way first..."
"Twist the wrist..."

... and my all time favorite... "down always works"...

HAHA wrist you sound like me in class.
"No your other right hand, the Tae Kwon Do right hand"
"Ok guys I want you to step back to a right front stance, low section block. Your right foot will be in the front. The other right Mark. No your hands were fine just your feet were wrong. Now you need to switch them both."
"Ok we are going to advance. What does the word advance mean Mark?" "UMMMMMM." "Does it mean to go forward or run 100 laps around the room?" "UMMM run 100 laps?" "Ok then go run 100 laps."
"Advancing with the front stance is as easy as walking. All you have to do is step one foot in front of the other just like you would if you were walking. Mark you just need to take one step not two. No ONE step just stick your right foot in the front there. Now your left, other left. Not a skip, step."
Or while they are sparring, "Keep your guard up or Audrey will pop you! Don't look at me keep you eyes on her! She's the one hitting you not me!"

Casey

#201638 - 06/04/07 05:11 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: clmibb]
SBudda Offline

Loc: ATL
Man, this thread is going to give me a complex. As a person who
Quote:

when he gets on the mat, it's like he's confused, angry, frustrated, and has left his brain along with his shoes off the mat

And who also
Quote:

saying stuff like, "oh, that was a good punch," or "too slow! try it like this next time,"

and who pretty frequently requires reminders like,
Quote:

"No, your other right hand"

I'm not even including (ok, now I am) that I
Quote:

would sweat buckets while we would be doing techniques (Aikido) you couldnt even hold onto his wrist because it was so slippery or when he would pin you and you were on the ground you could feel the sweat run off of him and hit you in the back off the head.

I must be the worst student ever... How is that all of you have trained with me?

At least I haven't pooped on the mat yet.

#201639 - 06/10/07 10:51 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: SBudda]
kihap Offline

SBudda, I’m there with you –I don’t know how my instructors have put up with me. Some of these stories…tears were streaming down my face I was laughing so hard.
This is a great thread.

#201640 - 06/12/07 05:28 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: kihap]
Ames Offline
Veteran

LOL, yeah I'm there with you guys too. This thread is going to give me a serious a complex!

I have my bad days for sure. When I just can't move right, or I blank out mid-technique.

I work nights as a doorman, and sometimes have to train in the morning, on only an hour or two of sleep...I sweat bullets and I'm pretty slippery by the end of class, just because my body hasn't had any down time. Sometimes I feel bad about training in this state, but my Sensei approves, and gives me a ride out there, so I'm not that worried.

Anyway, thanks guys, does anyone know a good therapist specilizing in martial arts dysfunctions?

#201641 - 06/12/07 02:12 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I've had many but this one stands out above all the others. This guy is almost as old as I am, we were in our 30s when he was my student. He told me he had studied numerous Martial arts but didn't have any rank in any. He stated that he studied under most of the Instructors teaching in the area, he stated that they would always try to hurt him because in his opinion he was a threat to them. I considered him a assoicate and had plans to give him a foundation and structure.

He particpated in all the class events but in a self defense drill that were not lock throw, he would hold on. We have a choke defense that releases and strikes with an elbow. I talked about saftey and moved slowed until they got control. Still he'd hold on looking like this doesn't work. I called one of my seniors to do the technique with me as his uke, with a helmet on. Of course it dropped me. he still didn't get it. So I placed him in the helmet he felt the technique out of the helmet he still held on. I explained that if you hold on you make the elbow more effective and showed him.

As things went on he questioned things that were not like what he learned, he sometimes knew the how, but not the why. He got hurt a number of times in self defense and spontaneous attacks (mock muggings) disregrading the saftey factor. No matter how I stressed we have to keep it real but also keep it safe.

He liked sparring but his movement was very basic, he knew the basic of how, but not why or when to set things up or defense r how to avoid contact. He eventually quit saying that he is too old to keep getting hurt trying to prove what works and what doesn't. I told him I now understand why the other Instructors would hurt you. You are trying to show them that what they do don't work. Almost in your own world, when they show you their art works then you feel threaten.
He left saying," That Bruce (Lee) said that we should put on gear & go full out". I asked him how long had, Sifu Lee been his instructor, this was in 1989-92, Lee died in the 70s. I asked When are you ever going finish anything from Marriages, Boardcasting school and the numerous dojos when it didn't go your way, you quit. The sad part is you have potentials in each.

This was definitely the worse student/associate, I've ever tried to teach. He had basic skills but no knowledge. And a closed mind, if Bruce didn't say it.

Edited by Neko456 (06/12/07 02:17 PM)

#201642 - 06/12/07 04:07 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Neko456]
Ames Offline
Veteran

Those are ones I think are the worst: the ones that are closed minded.

Everyone comes in with diffirent backgrounds, diffirent natural ability, diffirent body types, or past injuries. It's the willingness to learn that makes someone a good student, just as it's the willingness to teach that makes a good teacher. Some people come in and are so uncoordinated that they can't shuffle forward without leaving half their body stuck to the mat. What's beautiful, to me at least, is when these people keep coming, and keep getting better. For them, something as simple as shuffling forward and back, is improvment.

Others come in with past training, and can pull off beautiful throws that they learned ten years ago. However, when they're taught new techniques, they question so much that they end up just using their old body mechanics again and again. Somewhere along the way these people lost the beginers mindset and until they regain it, they'll never progress.

#201643 - 06/12/07 04:16 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ames]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
Quote:

Anyway, thanks guys, does anyone know a good therapist specilizing in martial arts dysfunctions?

Sorry ames, as far as I know, its terminal and no one is investigating a cure.

#201644 - 06/12/07 07:14 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: tkd_high_green]
Ames Offline
Veteran

LOL,

Oh well, I'll take the good days with the bad then.

#201645 - 08/24/07 11:45 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
Colta Offline
Stranger

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
I was in Chito-ryu for only 3 years, but in that time I made some friends and had a good time. I switched clubs for lots of reasons and when the next tournament came around this is what happened.....

My best friend from my old club almost broke my nose in a sparring match, among other things because my previous sensei didn't like that I had switched clubs. That, IMHO is the worst student out there, the one that is so fanatical about winning and 'dealing with traitors to the club' (yes, that was actually said )
Augh, crazy people.

#201646 - 08/24/07 01:23 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
JMWcorwin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SoCal, USA
Ok have a couple here:

* had two students whose parents didn't want to pay for day care. They would show up at class and stay the whole day. At one point they came without uniforms even and just sat outside. We asked, are you doing class? "NO, our mom just told us to wait here." -- we called and told them we're not qualified or staffed or paid to babysit their children. If they abandon them again at our front door, we would call child protective services. It worked.

Second one isn't really a learning problem, it's a behavioral one:

* We had a 13 yr old student who would periodically defecate on the mat. Yes I said DEFECATE on the mat. We would just find it there and not know who did it. One day during class we saw this kid turn, shake his leg, and drop a "poo" on the mat out the bottom of his gi pants. My instructor lost it. I swear there was steam coming out of his ears. He took him in the office and promptly excused him from ever taking classes again.

edit- in retrospect, I guess they were both behavioral problems. ~Corwin

Edited by JMWcorwin (08/24/07 01:38 PM)

#426704 - 04/28/10 10:21 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: JMWcorwin]
Ezekiel Ryan Offline

I'm currently 7th kyu in Shitoryu Karate, got a long way to go before coming close to any black belt in my dojo but I still love the thrill of kumite.

So anyways there was one time where this punkish looking guy joined the dojo, and he had this really obnoxious look. Excused himself during the idoshiki, came to class only after we greeted the senseis, and I caught him picking on the younger students a few times. He's prolly one of those guys who's always looking for a fight and thinks they're tough [censored], which is common in my country.

I finally got a chance to spar with him during one of the free sparring sessions, used some of the advanced footwork techniques they taught during the kumite division class to sidestep his punches, then when he tried a mawashi (which didn't look like one by the way), I bypassed it and landed a triple reverse punch right smack on his solar plexus.

Never saw him again after that lesson.

#426895 - 05/03/10 05:29 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ezekiel Ryan]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

I see this thread is still alive. 5yrs later!!

I have some new ones from my judo school.

Long nails guy. We're doing judo, this guy has toenails and fingernails that could slice bread in half. Cut your nails dude!! In the middle of class he wants to talk about anime and geocaching. He has a full head of grey hair. shocked

Girl in the kids class screams all the time. She screams everytime she is pinned or thrown for about 5minutes. Please stay home. Her dad just sits there and never says a word to her while the instructors are trying to figure her out.

One dude shows up dirty all the time with a gi that reeks of BO. Dude! Jump in the river or something atleast!! Pew!

Another guy doesn't know the meaning or light randori, or even practice throws. No matter how compliant you are, he just needs to plant you hard....all the time,everytime!

#427004 - 05/06/10 09:29 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: BrianS]
clmibb Offline
Veteran

I had my wrist cut by a guy's toenail back in 1994. They were like eagle tallons! It was at a demo and at the time I really didn't notice it. After we got off stage, a mom from the audience came running up to me with a band-aid telling me that she could see blood on my sleeve from her seat. It wasn't too bad but it could have been worse had his nail been just a smidgen over to the left as the scar is right next to one of the veins in my wrist. Yeah some people I want to give a pedicure gift certificate to them as a "just because" gift.

Casey

#428284 - 07/13/10 10:48 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: clmibb]
SocratesTheBeast Offline
The Powerlifting Beast

Loc: Brooklyn (Fort Greene)
I wish I could tell a story, but I don't have any, however, I did enjoy reading you guys stories, quite interesting, sucks that this forum isn't more active being that it has over 20k members....Well this section at least.

Download my first solo mixtape: http://tweetmysong.com/x1dlno
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/freshthepoet

#428333 - 07/15/10 08:52 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: SocratesTheBeast]
ninpopo Offline

Loc: Africa *drums starts playing i...
Oh i think everyone has a story here, when i was still white belt my sensei told me about this one loco dude who came to the dojo, and insisted fighting with the black belts, on his second or third day he decided to pair up with a 2nd dan black belt lady, who was half his height and weight, he decided itll be a good idea to go full out, and pin her against the wall and broke her ribs, in such a way that the bone stuck through her breast :|. Of course she was taken to the hospital to get treated, but all the other black belts kept him there forcefully when he saw he caused serious trouble. He started off fighting one of my senseis and had to go through 10 of them untill he reached our head instructor (whos one of the highest ranked karateka in Africa), who and i quote "took care of him". I would rather not wanna know the details, but he never came back.

#428334 - 07/15/10 09:01 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: ninpopo]
ninpopo Offline

Oh of course, i forgot about loco guy nr 2, he came to the dojo, but hes from the gang area of the city, and he didnt have any technique when fighting, also a very muscled man, now i dont have a problem fighting bigger guys, but this dude was shot in the hand a few years ago, and he had some or other metal underneath his hand for protection or something, but the fact stays, it hurt like hell and he never stopped, but thats not the story i want to point out.

We use to have a kids class before our class, and while theyre still doing their thing, the seniors would come, get dressed warm up etc, and this guy rocked up agian. putting a GUN on the table, right there in the open, and no it wasnt a play gun or anything and then he left to get dressed or something. Now this idiot obviously didnt think, what if one of the kids took the gun and played with it? I pointed this out to our sensei, and he told the guy to keep his gun where no one can see it. And he did, then what happened, the sensei told us he got home a few lessons later and felt taht his bag is heavier than usual, this guy left his gun in the senseis bag during class. What if the cops pulled the sensei over and asked about hte gun???? And we dont know what the guy did with the gun beforehand!! Anyways, we were told that he was also "sorted out" and he also never came back.

#428504 - 07/22/10 08:38 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: ninpopo]
BigWiggly Offline

Loc: Ohio
LOL these are great. Ive got one!!!

Kung fu club on a college campus, I had joined the school that gives these semester long classes, I thought it would be a good time to continue to stay on top of my basics while helping these students learn. We have a variety of kids come through and one particular year we had a large freshman come out. let me give you the visual image.

-fairly tall 6'2?
-250+ lbs
-LARPer (live action role player, foam swords and renaisance fairs)
-talked about how he would become immortal
-talked about how he would kick my ass in a fight because of his "superior" weight which would simply crush me.

Now that's out of the way. After weeks of working on basics we had moved on to proper jumping, kicks, sweeps, ect. we got to one of my favorite techniques which involves jumping vertically and landing with your feet close, then you shoot your forward leg out with the side of the foot leading. Since he refused to wear the recommended sweatpants to class, he jumped up, landed, slid his leg out and ripped his pants in front of everyone. i couldnt help but to laugh.

#429048 - 08/12/10 04:03 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
Brusashi Offline

Loc: Florida
There was this one guy, who suffered from horrible B.O...He was a nice enough guy, but he had very bad hygiene. He wouldn't cut his toe and finger nails....and they were extremely dirty. Sensei always paired me up with him when we worked some of our techniques....and almost every time he would scratch me accidentally.
"I come to you with only Karate - empty hands, I have no weapons; but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles, or my honor; should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong, then here are my weapons – Karate, my empty hands"

#429052 - 08/12/10 06:18 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Brusashi]
JMWcorwin Offline
Enthusiast

Was your signature something that you were required to memorize, or the motto or something of your school? It does sound familiar, though. So, if not there, then where did you get it?

#429053 - 08/12/10 07:39 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: JMWcorwin]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
That is the "karate creed" written by Ed Parker. We had to memorize it for belt tests in kenpo.

#429054 - 08/12/10 08:48 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: MattJ]
JMWcorwin Offline
Enthusiast

I thought I'd seen/heard that before. Thanks.

#429059 - 08/13/10 07:09 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: JMWcorwin]
ninpopo Offline

Theres also this one guy, from the dojo in the next town, every few weeks, some of them comes to our dojo to practice here, but like clockwork, everytime situps needs to be done, he FARTS!!!

Loud too XD

Since I dont see him often, he notorious for doing it, but i really feel sorry for his classmates who practices with him at every session haha.

#430835 - 11/08/10 11:18 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: ninpopo]
clmibb Offline
Veteran

This past weekend we had a tournament. I was head judge in one of the rings. At the time, I had the 11-13 year old boys sparring division in my ring. One young man accidentally kicked the other in the jaw. I saw it and so did both side judges. I tell the kicker to watch the face. He argues, "I didn't even touch his face!" To him I respond, "I saw it and so did both side judges." He argues again, "NO! I DIDN'T!" I just calmly relied, "Keep the arguing up and I'll just go ahead and award the other student a point." He kept his mouth shut after that.

#430837 - 11/09/10 10:56 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: clmibb]
Zombie Zero Offline
Compliance & Liability
Veteran

Loc: Lorton, VA
</topic>

Happy Birthday, Ninpopo!

#430896 - 11/15/10 01:49 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Zombie Zero]
Christie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Waterloo, ON
I can't believe that, five years later, this topic is still active lol

#430905 - 11/15/10 05:12 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Christie]
E.V. Offline

I Dislike students who are too competitive/hold grudges. Just because I beat you out in a spar doesn't mean I'm a horrible person or that you need to glare at me forever more when we train. The same applies for if you win, ok you won that match kudos but dont act like you pushed me down a flight of stairs while in a race for life, it's just a spar!

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga