FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 50 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
Jeff_G 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#201467 - 06/06/09 11:10 AM Re: Tiger Shulman - Opinions, (info on...), Review [Re: ITFunity]
VDJ Offline
Veteran

"As far as TSK I remember that some years back the NYS Attorney General's office did a big statewide probe into problems with their business model which took some type of advantage of the consumer. The NYSAG is among many things, tasked with consumer protection. You may want to contact them to see what their investigation entailed & how it might affect a potential customer today. These things are a matter of public record. I post no specifics as I do not remember them & direct the reader to look into it as they see fit."

I don't remember anything about this, but I do remember them winning a BIG court case for ALL martial art schools when I believe it was a joint thing with PA & NJ wanting them to be categorized as a "Health Club" rather than a Martial Arts School, where they would be required to carry a different type of business insurance that was way more expensive, this then would have been applied to all MA schools. Fortunately the courts ruled in their favor!

VDJ

#201468 - 06/06/09 05:12 PM Re: Tiger Shulman - Opinions, (info on...), Review [Re: VDJ]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

"As far as TSK I remember that some years back the NYS Attorney General's office did a big statewide probe into problems with their business model which took some type of advantage of the consumer. The NYSAG is among many things, tasked with consumer protection. You may want to contact them to see what their investigation entailed & how it might affect a potential customer today. These things are a matter of public record. I post no specifics as I do not remember them & direct the reader to look into it as they see fit."

I don't remember anything about this, but I do remember them winning a BIG court case for ALL martial art schools when I believe it was a joint thing with PA & NJ wanting them to be categorized as a "Health Club" rather than a Martial Arts School, where they would be required to carry a different type of business insurance that was way more expensive, this then would have been applied to all MA schools. Fortunately the courts ruled in their favor! VDJ

Not that was not what I was thinking. I did find the info on their website. It was regarding deceptive business practices, where they were forced to make refunds, pay fines etc. See below link for more info if interested. They also make mention the Commonwealth of PA was investigating them as well:

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/media_center/2000/nov/nov27a_00.html

#201469 - 06/06/09 10:43 PM Re: Tiger Shulman - Opinions, (info on...), Review [Re: Cord]
acktkdkenpotsk Offline

Quote:

Nobody asked you any questions, and any retort you offer will not change an opinion held widely in the MA community that franchised Martial arts, where membership sales and retention are as, if not more, important than the art being taught, are to be treated with suspicion.

Great. Thanks for your input.
Adios!

#201470 - 06/07/09 02:44 AM Re: Tiger Shulman - Opinions, (info on...), Review [Re: acktkdkenpotsk]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Some people join here to talk about martial arts, some to make friends.

Others purely join to promote their school, caring little for the wider possibilities of the site.

I train in savate - plenty here wouldn't want to train in an art that interests me, but as I am not hellbent on pimping savate on the world, it does not cause me any problems with others on here.

Your attitude shows your motives for joining here, as does your decision to leave.

Enjoy your school, as others enjoy theirs.

#201471 - 06/07/09 10:09 AM Re: Tiger Shulman - Opinions, (info on...), Review [Re: Cord]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Cord, you are too nice (wait did I just say that?). 7 posts, where the first post insults the forum members, and the last post dismisses them.

Sorry if he can't deal with the fact that this forum will both, hold a person accountable for their posts in an honest way and answer a question when it is asked.

No one here ever said TSK was a joke or bad, they just said it was a franchise and a large business (which it is) and they questioned the cost benefit VS. other smaller schools.

All viable points and all from what I can tell based on experience.

As a TSK student, he could could have done his school a service by exchanging ideas on a forum like this, instead all he did is reinforce the sense most MA's have about the school.

Well done!

#201472 - 06/07/09 11:40 AM Re: Tiger Shulman - Opinions, (info on...), Review [Re: Kimo2007]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Cord, you are too nice (wait did I just say that?). 7 posts, where the first post insults the forum members, and the last post dismisses them.

Sometimes, when being accused of ignorant/unreasonable attitude, the best thing to do is not prove the accuser right in your defence

Dont worry, I will be back to normal in a couple of threads time

#201473 - 06/07/09 09:58 PM Re: Tiger Shulman - Opinions, (info on...), Review [Re: Kimo2007]
VDJ Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Sorry if he can't deal with the fact that this forum will both, hold a person accountable for their posts in an honest way and answer a question when it is asked.

No one here ever said TSK was a joke or bad, they just said it was a franchise and a large business (which it is) and they questioned the cost benefit VS. other smaller schools.

All viable points and all from what I can tell based on experience.

As a TSK student, he could could have done his school a service by exchanging ideas on a forum like this, instead all he did is reinforce the sense most MA's have about the school.

Well done!

Agree 100%! We had the same reaction on the Mong Su Dom Tai Chinese Karate thread. Some very valid questions were asked which received some very vague answers and then we are called "Small Minded"

VDJ

Edited by VDJ (06/07/09 09:59 PM)

#201474 - 06/09/09 02:03 AM Re: Tiger Shulman - Opinions, (info on...), Review [Re: VDJ]
Ames Offline
Veteran

Honestly, I think everyone here is being too nice. This franchise seems like a chain of Mcdojo's. They fit the definition to a 't', and it's as simple as that.

--Chris

#201475 - 06/09/09 02:09 AM Re: Tiger Shulman - Opinions, (info on...), Review [Re: VDJ]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
Quote:

Agree 100%! We had the same reaction on the Mong Su Dom Tai Chinese Karate thread. Some very valid questions were asked which received some very vague answers and then we are called "Small Minded"

VDJ

except we know what TSMMA teaches and we've even had people give estimate prices for a black belt..less of a mystery in this thread and more like someone just coming along and saying we're wrong

I don't think all branches of TSMMA are Mcdojos. Do they have a big focus on fee's? yea but doesnt mean their quality of teaching HAS to be bad.

#201476 - 06/09/09 07:29 AM Re: Tiger Shulman - Opinions, (info on...), Review [Re: IExcalibui2]
VDJ Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:

VDJ

except we know what TSMMA teaches and we've even had people give estimate prices for a black belt..less of a mystery in this thread and more like someone just coming along and saying we're wrong

I don't think all branches of TSMMA are Mcdojos. Do they have a big focus on fee's? yea but doesnt mean their quality of teaching HAS to be bad.

Well I know this.From what I have seen, TSK is a far better quality than any ATA school I've ever walked into!

VDJ

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga