FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
simonajones111 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Zombie Zero 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#200240 - 12/07/05 09:43 AM Re: Knife Disarm...overhead [Re: RangerG]
dud Offline

Whatever I would do IF I couldnīt run, it would include control of the weapon hand with my both hands, off balance and if I can throwing him against a wall, traffic coming, electricity, whatever, and then run like hell to get my own weapon or to scape.
Of course, easier said than done. Grabbing a hand on the middle os the night, stress, speed, blood, sweat and tears, AINīT EASY!

William E FAirbairn was a genious, and said that against a knife in trained hands...no defense. I have trained with good Arnis practicers and I say BS to all knife deffenses I see around being teaching. And this is in a DOjo... on the Street... my best martial art will be RUN - DO.

#200241 - 12/14/05 01:08 AM Re: Knife Disarm...overhead [Re: h2whoa]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida

#200242 - 12/14/05 01:44 AM Re: Knife Disarm...overhead [Re: Fletch1]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

Quote:

http://www.yrjj.net/Udekudema.html

ugh.

Double ugh.....prearranged garbage.

#200243 - 12/27/05 11:35 AM Re: Knife Disarm...overhead [Re: h2whoa]
mean_fighter Offline

Lets all keep in mind that being a martial artist (a good one) only slightly decreases the chance of you getting cut not stabbed.

#200244 - 12/27/05 04:30 PM Re: Knife Disarm...overhead [Re: mean_fighter]
Subedei Offline

Well, all I can say is there are a whole lot of people throughout human history who seem to disagree with you on the viability of knife disarms, Achille Marozzo for one:

http://www.thearma.org/Manuals/NewManuals/Marozzo/p187.jpg

http://www.thearma.org/Manuals/NewManuals/Marozzo/p193.jpg

I've never heard one of the old masters refer to knife disarms as "prearranged garbage". They're something that turns up quite often in fighting manuals.

Paulus Hector Mair teaches the 'guide into the leg' defense, and it's the first knife disarm we learn in Hapkido. Korea is thousands of miles away from Germany, do you really think we'd see exactly the same techniques if they were not effective?

#200245 - 12/27/05 04:50 PM Re: Knife Disarm...overhead [Re: dud]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Very few arnis teach this strike unless as a final kill, it one of the more powerful stabs but its slow. I believe knife defense are valid and possible, even arnis and silat (all MAs teach it) teaches empty hand vs. the knife. Though obviously a disadvanatge, its possible to defend against.

But I really think in a practicle sense the thing is to defend unarmed until you can even the odds or get a stalemate. A chair bewteen you or a red brick or broken beer bottle. The man with the weapon has the advantage, get one.

Don't stay inside fighting a knife thats freely moving, if you have control never let go until he's injured serverly or disarmed. In a situation like that u might as well throw everything you got at him, its your only chance.

#200246 - 12/27/05 04:51 PM Re: Knife Disarm...overhead [Re: Subedei]
Ed Glasheen Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newburgh,NY,USA
The problem with this whole knife defense issue is that when done properly, you will never see it coming. This is what Fairburn was refering to. Attacking someone with a knife is an assasination. You will not see it , other than fakes, fonies, wanta be SF types, kids and tv anyone else dueling with a knife. It just does not happen in the pretense that is taught at your local dojo. To include all that civilian kali bs.
If I am going to use a knife on you, I will not show it, I will try to ambush or blind side you and I will stab you until you fall to the ground. Depending on the situation I may follow up with more stabs or escape the scene. Now how do you defend against this. It is a kin to get hit in the back of the head with a baseball bat.
If you happen to be on the un-lucky end of an knife attack your only recourse is to beat the living day lights out of the attacker by any means possible. No fancy moves just pure aggression and hopfully you have a hammer or something in your hand. Forget kotegeshi type moves or that BS that Fletch posted, it doesn't work ever...except when someone is uke compliant.
Pure hostile brute caveman aggression is the only offensive counter to a knife attack. How you do it is circumstantial. Your only thought process is ending the life of your attacker. Your Aikido class will not teach you that.

Edited by Ed Glasheen (12/27/05 05:02 PM)

#200247 - 12/27/05 05:08 PM Re: Knife Disarm...overhead [Re: Ed Glasheen]
Subedei Offline

Quote:

The problem with this whole knife defense issue is that when done properly, you will never see it coming. This is what Fairburn was refering to. Attacking someone with a knife is an assasination. You will not see it , other than fakes, fonies, wanta be SF types, kids and tv anyone else dueling with a knife. It just does not happen in the pretense that is taught at you local dojo. To include all that civilian kali bs.
If I am going to use a knife on you, I will not show it, I will try to ambush or blind side you and I will stab you until you fall to the ground. Depending on the situation I may follow up with more stabs or escape the scene. Now how do you defend against this. It is a kin to get hit in the back of the head with a baseball bat.
If you happen to be on the un-lucky end of an knife attack your only recourse is to beat the living day lights out of the attacker by any means possible. No fancy moves just pure aggression and hopfully you have a hammer or something in your hand. Forget kotegeshi type moves or that BS that Fletch posted, it doesn't work ever...except when someone is uke compliant.
Pure hostile brute caveman aggression is the only offensive counter to a knife attack. How you do it is circumstantial. Your only thought process is ending the life of your attacker. Your Aikido class will not teach you that.

I believe this attitude Ed, is why they haven't worked for you. Uncontrolled aggression is practically begging to be stabbed.

I stand by my assertion that if you can see the attack coming you can effectively defend against it. If you're caught completely unaware you're either facing someone very sneaky or you should have been paying more attention in a situation that's obviously headed towards violence. Either way you very well may survive and may be in fine condition to continue fighting, especially if you happen to be wearing thick clothing.

A study of swordfighting is very revealing as to what is required to actually incapacitate someone with a bladed weapon.

Edited by Subedei (12/27/05 07:22 PM)

#200248 - 12/27/05 05:17 PM Re: Knife Disarm...overhead [Re: Subedei]
Ed Glasheen Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newburgh,NY,USA
Study swordfighting? like what Kendo? Aiki ken? even Kali? How many people walk around with swords? Not many. Last person I saw get killed was done with a screw driver. Not much sword play in that. Get real.

Edited by Ed Glasheen (12/27/05 05:17 PM)

#200249 - 12/27/05 09:58 PM Re: Knife Disarm...overhead [Re: Ed Glasheen]
Mike_L Offline

Loc: Rio Rancho NM/Louisville KY (U...
I just use a wrist lock with a sweep followed by a kick to the face for a knife disarm, who needs a sword?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga