FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 143 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Tomsmithh, exofozulo, Sumit, vick, sitpholek
23090 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MassPadawan 2
vick 1
Tomsmithh 1
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Looking for an Arnis coach
by vick
02/07/17 02:35 AM
Philosophy of Martial Art
by jackharrel
01/10/17 07:25 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Pregnancy and training
04/23/06 02:31 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Tomsmithh
02/22/17 10:37 PM
Pregnancy and training
by MassPadawan
02/08/17 01:37 PM
Philosophy of Martial Art
by MassPadawan
02/06/17 06:08 PM
Forum Stats
23090 Members
36 Forums
35673 Topics
432697 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#196891 - 10/24/05 04:13 PM What is the major difference in BJJ and JJ?
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Registered: 01/18/05
Posts: 3260
Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
What is the major difference in BJJ and JJ? Whats the Pros & Cons.

Of course BJ stresses more Ground work and less vareity throws. Most of its standup involves getting into a clinch & certain throws/takedowns. IMO.

Japanese Jujitsu stresses a wider range of strikes/kicks and standup fighting, throws, takedowns, locks, chokes, cranks and a boarder range of self-defense. IMO.

Fitness might be another factor some of the JJ train no harder then a Karate dojo, whereas the BJj train like college wrestlers in that its more gruleing because they are training for eventual MMA. Right???

#196892 - 10/24/05 06:02 PM Re: What is the major difference in BJJ and JJ? [Re: Neko456]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Registered: 02/24/05
Posts: 4117
Loc: California
From what I've seen, the techniques are almost identical, with slight differences in position. The difference is the emphasis of each. JJJ is more variable, different schools will have different emphasis. So some schools focus on striking more and others throws and still others focus on groundwork more. BJJ is consistently groundwork oriented although the syllabus does contain a lot of standing material including stuff taken from wrestling (most of which incidentally is also found in JJJ but for some reason seems to be less used)

As to exercise, while my Scottish Dojo is quite light on the exercise, my Singapore Dojo is very heavy on training for strength and endurance (although this is not done quite so much in class) the Dojo has a small gym with weights, etc and students are free to use it any time. So you see, even this differs between different schools. What you get when you enter JJJ is basically luck of the draw.
Self Defense
(Website by Marc MacYoung, not me)

#196893 - 10/25/05 09:13 AM Re: What is the major difference in BJJ and JJ? [Re: Neko456]
MiSt Offline

Registered: 10/31/04
Posts: 396
The impression I get is that the biggest difference is in that of training methods.
"The deeper you delve into philosophy the sadder you become."

#196894 - 10/25/05 02:59 PM Re: What is the major difference in BJJ and JJ? [Re: MiSt]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Registered: 02/28/05
Posts: 2827
Loc: Southern California, USA

Your description is pretty accurate however, BJJ resembles Judo more than Jujutsu which has much less ground work. IMO (I'm estimating here), 75% of BJJ is basic Judo Ne-waza (ground techniques). The other 25% are inovations. You won't see the extensive repetoir of throws in BJJ that you'll see in Judo either. BJJ also lacks Yubi-waza (finger techniques) that you'll find in Jujutsu.

#196895 - 10/25/05 06:56 PM Re: What is the major difference in BJJ and JJ? [Re: hedkikr]
JKogas Offline

Registered: 01/25/03
Posts: 10818
Loc: North Carolina
BJJ gyms definitely tend to train harder. There is often a greater emphasis on sparring.

Many BJJ guys also work on their striking as well.



Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Only $89

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!


Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga