FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (Dobbersky), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Today at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#196419 - 10/23/05 12:44 AM Knife to the throat from the back.
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania
One of the worst knife situations to be in. The escape? Much like the Forearm Choke from Behind. I discussed this in Martial Arts Talk, but would like to hear all your variations or alternate escapes.

I think of this as one of the ATM situations, much like a couple of the gun situations like gun to the back or back of the head..

Edited by RangerG (10/23/05 12:47 AM)

#196420 - 10/23/05 07:32 AM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: RangerG]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
At that point : Gun to the back of the head or knife to the throat from behind, I wouldn't do anything but negotiate. If I'm holding the knife or gun,you're dead.
Do yall regularly practice this scenario as a part of self defense?

#196421 - 10/23/05 08:50 AM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: SANCHIN31]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

At that point : Gun to the back of the head or knife to the throat from behind, I wouldn't do anything but negotiate. If I'm holding the knife or gun,you're dead.

Yes...along with a host of other disarms and escapes. If I were you, I would not be so sure I would be dead if you had the gun or knife my friend..

The Ranger is never more dangerous, than when he is "dead".. *snicker*

#196422 - 10/23/05 08:53 AM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: RangerG]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

Quote:

Yes...along with a host of other disarms and escapes. If I were you, I would not be so sure I would be dead if you had the gun or knife my friend..

The Ranger is never more dangerous, than when he is "dead".. *snicker*

HA! I'm the three battles MOTHER_JAMMER! BANG!

#196423 - 10/23/05 09:51 AM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: RangerG]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
That is definitely as area I am very weak on. Weapons, especially close range like that.....very tough to deal with.

#196424 - 10/23/05 12:52 PM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: MattJ]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
What about controlling the arm with both of your hands, delivering a head butt or stomp to the foot, or both, spinning around 180 and pushing the attacker into the wall. you're still in a very bad situation, but you've limited his options on movement - mainly that he can't drop back and take you to the ground. i'm not sure how you would escape the choke at that point, but if you indeed can there is nothing stopping you from executing the nike technique.
just don't forget to cancel your bank card if it's still in the ATM.

#196425 - 10/23/05 01:51 PM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: ShikataGaNai]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

What about controlling the arm with both of your hands, delivering a head butt or stomp to the foot, or both, spinning around 180 and pushing the attacker into the wall. you're still in a very bad situation, but you've limited his options on movement - mainly that he can't drop back and take you to the ground. i'm not sure how you would escape the choke at that point, but if you indeed can there is nothing stopping you from executing the nike technique.

If he has a knife at your throat and you go to grab your throat is slit. If it's a gun your head is blown off. Try it with a watergun,you'll get wet.

#196426 - 10/23/05 07:44 PM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: SANCHIN31]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

Quote:

If he has a knife at your throat and you go to grab your throat is slit. If it's a gun your head is blown off. Try it with a watergun,you'll get wet.

I showed some of these disarms to MattJ today..but we are keeping the technique to ourselves...heh heh heh...

#196427 - 10/23/05 09:10 PM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: RangerG]
h2whoa Offline

Loc: Fiji
Quote:

One of the worst knife situations to be in. The escape? Much like the Forearm Choke from Behind. I discussed this in Martial Arts Talk, but would like to hear all your variations or alternate escapes.

I think of this as one of the ATM situations, much like a couple of the gun situations like gun to the back or back of the head..

http://www.usadojo.com/martial-arts-articles/article-6-points-for-gun-defense.htm

Judos Haimen zuke for the gun defence (must be awfully quick)!!

http://www.harbrodojo.com/techniques/rearattackII.htm
or a variation for knife to the throat. Or a Ushiro Jime.

I hope this was helpful!!

*bows respectfully*

#196428 - 10/24/05 12:40 AM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: h2whoa]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

lesson learned - never attempt to jack a man with a mullet!

#196429 - 10/24/05 11:33 AM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: ShikataGaNai]
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
if he knows what he is doing, he won't get that close to you with the gun

#196430 - 10/24/05 01:29 PM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: SANCHIN31]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Quote:

That being said, does this mean there really is no way to do this? without controlling the arm first, you have no escape and will definitely get cut. i agree that negotiation is the foremost method of difusing this situation, but if someone is intent on killing you, you might as well try to fight out of it. life or death and all...

#196431 - 10/24/05 05:21 PM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: globetrotter]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

And that is the rub. Your only chance if he is intent on not leaving a witness is to hope he is close enough...otherwise run like heck if he has a gun. It is harder than most people think to hit a moving target.

#196432 - 10/24/05 05:26 PM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: ShikataGaNai]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

Quote:

That being said, does this mean there really is no way to do this? without controlling the arm first, you have no escape and will definitely get cut. i agree that negotiation is the foremost method of difusing this situation, but if someone is intent on killing you, you might as well try to fight out of it. life or death and all...

It's not all that complicated and escape...just very risky. If he has a knife to your throat and he is going to kill you anyway...what is there to loose?

Negotiate if you can of course.

Edited by RangerG (10/24/05 09:49 PM)

#196433 - 10/31/05 04:46 AM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: globetrotter]
Subedei Offline

I think any deadly weapon defense assumes he's going to kill you anyway.

With that said, if someone has a gun to your head and you know it's at your head it's suprisingly easy to disarm him. Rapidly duck under the gun turning to the left(The gun should not be past your head), wrap your left arm around his and break his elbow with your palm (You've got his arm locked, the gun is pointing behind you), in the same motion palm heel him under the chin or to the bridge of the nose with your right hand. From this position he's stunned and has a broken arm, there are a great number of ways to immobilize him further.

#196434 - 10/31/05 04:49 AM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: SANCHIN31]
Subedei Offline

Quote:

Quote:

I have tried disarms with a watergun, they work.

#196435 - 10/31/05 10:11 AM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: Subedei]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
The waterguns or the disarms?

#196436 - 10/31/05 10:17 AM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: JoelM]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Both..

#196437 - 10/31/05 02:06 PM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: RangerG]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

if i could be invincible for a day, i'd simply turn around, stick my finger in the attacker's gun and smirk.

#196438 - 10/31/05 08:37 PM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: ShikataGaNai]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

if i could be invincible for a day, i'd simply turn around, stick my finger in the attacker's gun and smirk.

I would rather turn around and finger strike both his eyes...then a massive groin kick...

#196439 - 11/07/05 01:44 PM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: ShikataGaNai]
Tsujin Offline

Loc: Ottawa
I believe, the most effective way to disarm someone who is at you back (due to practise with my partener) is to use your feet, not hands. You see you have to hurt them enough to distract them. For example. If you stomp on someone's toe, they grab their foot, or look down. It's human nature. Like sneezing and closing your eyes. Make them do something that can't be helped. Of course I'm not saying run out and test this, nor am I saying that if the situation does arise, to listen to my advice. But, if you want to practise those techiniques that help you to disarm people who have you at a disadvantage then you should try. (Be careful, seriously, use a watergun or something like a stick)

#196440 - 11/07/05 02:07 PM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: Tsujin]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

I believe, the most effective way to disarm someone who is at you back (due to practise with my partener) is to use your feet, not hands. You see you have to hurt them enough to distract them. For example. If you stomp on someone's toe, they grab their foot, or look down. It's human nature. Like sneezing and closing your eyes. Make them do something that can't be helped. Of course I'm not saying run out and test this, nor am I saying that if the situation does arise, to listen to my advice. But, if you want to practise those techiniques that help you to disarm people who have you at a disadvantage then you should try. (Be careful, seriously, use a watergun or something like a stick)

The risk with this is that if you stomp his foot or rake your heal down his shin..he may convulse in pain and pull the trigger.. You need to redirect the weapon before he can pull the trigger..

#196441 - 11/07/05 03:16 PM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: RangerG]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Agreed. Plus, there is always the inherent danger that your assailant is hopped up on crack or crystal meth and can't feel pain on a normal level. Even worse would be someone on PCP. If you can control the weapon and strike the feet simultaneously, you're gold, but make sure that you GET THAT WEAPON!!!

#196442 - 11/08/05 04:17 PM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: ShikataGaNai]
fattts14 Offline

Loc: T.O. On, Can
"The Knife Defense Myth"

Instead of talking about a lot of b.s. concerning so-called unarmed "knife" defenses, let's reverse roles for a moment.

Let us assume the "role" of the attacker, instead of the "defender".
First, let's consider the "choice" of weapon.

A knife or any edged weapon is an "up close and personal" tool of ferocious and brutal mayhem. You have to close with your mark and physically, violently and with extreme prejudice stab, slash, and hack him to bits. It's not like a gun, which could have an element of detachment. No, a knife is about as personal, brutal and ruthless as it gets.

So what kind of "mind-set" does this entail? You are going close with your target hard and fast, using deception, surprise or simply a committed and brutal pouncing. You are going to be determined, ruthless, brutal, ferocious, vicious, and most probably filled with hate and rage.

You are going to seize the target with abject brutality and stab, slash, hack and eviscerate with totally committed rage, ferocity and hate. OVER and OVER and OVER.

NOTHING is going to stand in your way. NOTHING! You are going to DESTROY whatever DOES attempt to thwart your murderous assault. You will attack repeatedly with ALL the strength, speed, and brutality you are capable of. And THAT will be heightened even MORE by rage and adrenalin.

You KNOW that you MUST get this over with QUICKLY. Your attack will be a frenzy of hate, rage and murderous INTENT.

You WON'T "feint" with your blade, you WON'T "spar" with your blade, you WON'T "half-step" with your blade.

You WILL attack with brutal and ruthless rage. You WILL punch, kick, bite, gouge, butt, and do ANY and EVERYTHING that will accomplish you GOAL in as ferocious a manner as inhumanly possible.

Unless YOU are killed outright, NO injury will dissuade you from KILLING your mark. In FACT, anything LESS than your death, will ONLY add MORE FUEL to YOUR FIRE. NOTHING, short of your immediate demise CAN stop you. Rage, hate, murderous intent and adrenalin are fueling you to an almost superhuman state of FRENZY and FEROCITY!

Even when your man goes down, and DOWN you are determined to put him, YOU still continue the assault. You stab and stab and stab. You kick and stomp OVER and OVER and OVER again.

You DON'T even begin to "disengage" until your "blood" lust has been quenched, and your mark taken off the count.

THAT is what REALLY happens when one human being uses a knife on another.

Face that FACT squarely. Too many are "playing" knife gymnastics without EVER even realizing what the street has in store for them. It isn't going to be pretty!

Are you REALLY preparing to DEAL with THAT?

Or are you kidding yourself and others?

REALITY sucks, as they say. But it is what it is!

My instructors response...
I somewhat agree with this article by Carl however this only occurs in a very small percentage of stabbing cases (under 10%) - only when its "personal" or if the attacker is on drugs or he feels threatened etc.

Generally however, people carry knives to make themselves "feel in control" When this person uses a knife, its usually out of defense - maybe they have a reason to be afraid -like they didn't pay their debts etc. This person has never been in a knife fight before.

Then there are the desperate ones that want money (usually for drugs) these dudes don't want to kill anyone either. They are more likely to want to scare someone and end up in that slashing motion.

there are not a lot of hardcore knife fighters out there - most are dead or they have learned their lessons and now respect the knife and their opponent.

If we relate them to animals, even in the animal world there is still some sense of dignity. there are not many cases where the killer will go on stabbing the dead body (a small percentage of the over all stabbings in this Country)

If they are scared (first knife fight or knife attack) they slash - they don't want to kill and even if they do, they muster all their might and go for the strike - what they think will be the be all - end all strike but then, if they are fighting with an experienced opponent, they quickly realize that this situation is not going to be as easy as they anticipated. Now they are into a fight and the defender realties that he could be killed so now anything goes to save his ass or the asses of his loved ones. This is a worst scenario for the attacker to be in because even an untrained defender will now fight for his life.

In this case, if they loose the weapon, it means death for the attacker.

knives are a lot easier to get then guns and most want be thugs know that guns mean death - knives mean, "don't [censored] with me"

the untrained "I'm gonna kill yu" (with the knife) attacker is uslaly pretty easy to spot and much easier to read. You know exactly what hes going to do and you can see the trajectories eg overhead, underhand, straight, slash etc. so they are the most predictable and easiest to deal with (with some training)

a large part of my training was knife defense / offense - trained 7 years with former trainer of the Russian Special Forces who were renouned for their knife work - still, I respect the knife even if it is being held by a 15 year old boy and I realsie that even a professional WILL BE CUT in a knife fight. Its a pshychology you have to follow inorder to survive

I dont care about looking good like Steven Segal in a movie. I only care about survival.

best, M/

#196443 - 11/08/05 05:06 PM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: RangerG]
Diga Offline

Loc: Hoodsport, Washington
WOW - Tough one.
I have practiced with this and other weapons for about 10 of my 30 years with the arts. It is amazing just what a flick of the wrist can do with a weapon such as a knife.
If someone has gotten as far as - a knife to your neck from behind and you have not already got your hand on that wrist or hand, there is just about nothing you can do. The best you can expect is to deflect the first cut to somewhere away from your neck.
If you do manage to get control of the blade hand then some of the suggestions offered by (h2whoa) will work. You will still most likely get cut but there is then a possability of getting the upper hand.
I recall that when we did this practice it was amazing how ruthless we became, just like the last reply from (Fattts14) suggested.

I also believe that a practiced MAist would not be easy to get into the position you are suggesting. Our reflexes would not allow it unless they came from nowhere.

Edited by Diga (11/08/05 05:08 PM)

#196444 - 11/08/05 07:57 PM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: Diga]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

it's interesting - i hear so many variations in perspective on knife defenses, yet i don't think i've heard a single story from anyone i know who has had to utilize one in the real world. the first half of fattts's post really hit a sour note with me. i agree with it fundamentally but the whole "YOU WILL DIE!!!" attitude seems to undermine what knife defense is all about - saving yourself. i don't believe for a second that if someone pulls a knife on you that the best thing to do is to try to disarm them (run you fool!), but there is no reason to not train for it. i get alot of crap from the longtime bjjers at my school (i'm a short term myself) about the knife/gun defenses we do in krav. it seems ridiculous to me that people look me in the eye and tell me i'm wasting my time "learning how to dodge bullets". that's not what this is about. even if i do get killed by some knife weilding maniac someday, i am not going out without a fight and i am definitely not getting caught with my proverbial pants down.
honestly, i hope in the long run that knife defense training IS a waste of time. here's to never finding out!

Edited by ShikataGaNai (11/08/05 07:58 PM)

#196445 - 11/09/05 08:06 PM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: Diga]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

If someone has gotten as far as - a knife to your neck from behind and you have not already got your hand on that wrist or hand, there is just about nothing you can do.

I would respectfuly disagree. I practice knife disarms on a regular basis. My family members have rubber knives and love to pull them on me on occasion, when I least expect it. Ever have your SO pull a Cold Steel rubber Tanto on you in the shower? I regularly practice the knife to the throat from behind..it is the one posiblility that scares the heck outa me and I want my response to be instinctual. I have practiced gun disarms against real guns...not just the rubber ones. I am never ever satisfied that I am 100% proficient.

Would I survive a knife to the throat from behind? I like to think I at least have a 50/50 chance, and that is better than no chance at all.

#196446 - 11/09/05 09:28 PM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: RangerG]
sprinter64 Offline
Stranger

Loc: PA
Hmmmmm... this has always been a toughe for me. A kid will always come up behind me and puts his finger to my throat. I was thinking that you could use your shoulder as a buffer and turn away from the knife then go into a strike or armbar ect. But then i tried it and he got me anyways... but maybe if you elbow and turn at the same time your back or shoulder would absorb the blow... I don't mind hurting my shoulder in comparison to my throat.

#196447 - 11/10/05 01:39 AM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: RangerG]
Diga Offline

We too have spent time working with this scenario.
First let me say the position I think this thread is about is - The attacker is behind you with the knife cutting edge at your throat and his body is pressed against your back, most likely his other hand is holding you too , eather by your wrist or around your chest, or grabbing your shirt.

From this position anything you do to grab at the knife hand or turn or anything will cut your own throat just from your movement.
If you do manage to grab at his knife holding hand all it takes is a flick of his wrist and your juggler is cut. The harder you try to move the deeper the cut.
This is a very tough situation.

As I said before - It would be very hard for someone to get me in that position. Just one inch away from my throat and I have a 50-50 chance. Even if he does get the blade to my throat - if I manage to get hold of that hand at the same time - I would give myself a 20-80 chance but I have practiced with wood knives, swords,canes,bo,& jo for years.

Even if it is a poor situation to be in, it is great practice to figure out your best method to escape and control the weapon.

#196448 - 11/12/05 09:02 PM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: Diga]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Chainmail?

#196449 - 11/13/05 12:39 AM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: Leo_E_49]
Diga Offline

Chainmail ? ?
HUUH ?
This must be some kind of inside joke .
Please explain.

#196450 - 11/13/05 12:52 AM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: Leo_E_49]
Diga Offline

I just went to the web sight that you entered and after about 15 min. of reading I think your last message must have been agreeing with me.
Atleast I hope so because I believe my statement earlier was explaining the difference between dueling and reality.

#196451 - 11/13/05 11:40 AM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: Diga]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chainmail

Trust me, a well made suit of chainmail is the best protection against a knife from the rear.

Chainmail was worn daily by wealthy middle to upper-class people in the middle ages to the mid 19th century I believe. It prevented stabbings and knifings in times where there was no real law and carrying a sword were commonplace. I was suggesting if things are that bad, we should all be wearing chainmail (and perhaps kevlar vests on top).

i.e. It was a joke.

#196452 - 11/13/05 12:06 PM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: Leo_E_49]
Diga Offline

All rightie then.
Chainmail and a cool pair of sun glasses and you are ready for just about anything.
Thanks for the info.
I forgot the name of that armour but it will never happen again.

Ooh and also - I really like the nononsence web sight you offer. I suggest everyone take a look at it.

Edited by Diga (11/13/05 12:09 PM)

#196453 - 11/13/05 04:09 PM Re: Knife to the throat from the back. [Re: Diga]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Yeah, it's not actually my website (You can thank Mr MacYoung for the website) but I think it's so good, I have to show everyone with each post I make.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga