FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#195189 - 10/19/05 10:47 PM a technique that doesn't seem to work
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
in my class, we do a lot of drills that involve breaking out of a wrist grab/headlock/choke etc. i am having difficulty with a particular grab from outside of my reference -
when someone grabs your wrist from the side, instead of "hitchiking out" we are taught to pull away with what is basically an elbow chop in the opposite direction, bringing your entire body with you, to escape. if you do not keep your elbows in while executing this technique, you stand a good chance of twisting out your shoulder = painful. with most students, i have been able to pull this off, but today i paired off with a guy with a particularly strong grip and realized quickly that i could NOT escape this way. it worked when i twisted my wrist in toward him, which gave my arm back, but it wasn't at all the technique we were shown. i'm pretty sure i did it right - it just seems like this doesn't work against an opponent with a steel grip. any thoughts?

#195190 - 10/20/05 09:29 AM Re: a technique that doesn't seem to work [Re: ShikataGaNai]
ToddR Offline

Loc: York, PA
Are you talking about a same-side wrist grab or opposite side? I've found that both krav defenses work fine for me--stepping in and bending the elbow to break the attacker's same-side wrist grab, and 'hitchhiking' out from a cross-wrist grab.

If you can't escape from the same-side wrist grab with the above technique you could always throw a punch to the face or throat to soften the guy up, couldn't you?

That's interesting though because I haven't had problems with these wrist grab escapes and was always surprised at how well they worked (and I certainly don't possess anyting other than average strength).

Edited by ToddR (10/20/05 09:30 AM)

#195191 - 10/20/05 11:11 AM Re: a technique that doesn't seem to work [Re: ToddR]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

it wasn't same side but from the side - outside of the point of reference. same technique with the elbow out escape, but the leverage is quite different. i agree, i'd probably just move into the guy and strike. still, his grip was TIGHT and even with a few face shots, i might not have been able to get out. i actually ended up doing a kali open palm technique to break it. still feel like i did something wrong here.

#195192 - 10/20/05 01:43 PM Re: a technique that doesn't seem to work [Re: ShikataGaNai]
satter Offline

Loc: Croatia, Europe
That is the beauty of martial arts.
You learn how to adapt to different situations.
That is exactly what you did.
You modified the tehnique so that it works.

#195193 - 10/20/05 09:43 PM Re: a technique that doesn't seem to work [Re: ShikataGaNai]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania
I guess I am still having difficulty understanding where your opponent is standing when he grabs your wrist. Is his hand on top of your wrist? Is he standing off to the side he is grabbing your from? Is he somewhat behind you and out of your field of vision?

Tonight we tried a number of wrist grabs from every possible position including from the back...and I was able to hitch-hike out of every one of them...even with a 6' 280 lb guy holding on.

I guess I need to see what you are talking about. I took a look in David Kahn's book and there were only a couple of wrist grabs on page 115...I doubt they are what you are talking about...

#195194 - 10/21/05 01:25 AM Re: a technique that doesn't seem to work [Re: RangerG]
Tolyn1007 Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area
I'm not sure that I'm visualizing how your opponent is grabbing you either. My recommendation would be to have the instructor watch to ensure from this particular position, and with this partner, that you're performing the technique correctly.

#195195 - 10/21/05 10:37 AM Re: a technique that doesn't seem to work [Re: ShikataGaNai]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
Shikata,

I don't do Krav,but I'll chime in here to see if I can help. When you are practicing a technique with a partner he knows what you are trying to do and will resist. Anytime a jointlock technique or break is used his mind will be on holding on,you have to interrupt that,especially when you assailant is stronger.
My advice would be to strike first,kick,slap,doesn't matter how or where.It's just to get his mind preoccupied with something else while you execute the technique. Try it next time,do your best.The technique works just keep trying.

#195196 - 10/21/05 01:59 PM Re: a technique that doesn't seem to work [Re: SANCHIN31]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

excellent suggestions!
to clarify the positioning - and i apologize for being unclear:
think of it as a right angle, ie i'm facing north or south and the attacker is coming from the east or west. we were escaping with what esentially is an elbow strike to the opposite side of the grab. in order to do this, your fist must contact your chest tightly or you will pull out your shoulder. this was practiced with the attacker inside and out of my peripheral vision, with one hand grabbing and two. i completely agree that exploring other avenues of escape, like distracting the assailant, will benefit me in this technique. i'm strong, but quite skinny and don't have much leverage on the guys with biceps as big as my head!

#195197 - 10/22/05 10:22 AM Re: a technique that doesn't seem to work [Re: ShikataGaNai]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania
I see now. I also think you should get your instructor involved. There are a couple of things in Krav that do not work for me, and I have adapted other methods to compensate. Not belt approved methods mind you, but they work in real life...and that's what counts.

#195198 - 10/22/05 11:08 AM Re: a technique that doesn't seem to work [Re: RangerG]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
Quote:

I see now. I also think you should get your instructor involved. There are a couple of things in Krav that do not work for me, and I have adapted other methods to compensate. Not belt approved methods mind you, but they work in real life...and that's what counts.

Difinetely! My instructor always said he wouldn't show me anything that "wasn't so."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga