FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#194794 - 10/17/05 09:14 PM cold steel katanas
noobsamurai Offline

ive heard great things of these reasonably priced katanas and am concidering purchasing a "o" katana.for the price of 630, it seems like you cant miss out for a high quality, battle ready functional sword. what do you fellas thing?

#194795 - 10/18/05 04:37 AM Re: cold steel katanas [Re: noobsamurai]
jc4199 Offline

Loc: Pevely, MO U.S.A
http://www.dragonsedge.biz/product_info.php?products_id=164

Sounds high I think but I don't know anything about katanas.

1050 steel is a high carbon steel it is highly machineable and it can be hardened. After it has been hardened it is a pain to sharpen. But it will dull slower after its been hardened. It will rust if it is not taken care of right.
I am pulling this info from memory I will have to check it at work when I get to go back.

#194796 - 10/18/05 01:08 PM Re: cold steel katanas [Re: jc4199]
funstick5000 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: West Yorkshire, England
this is in the wrong forum, it belongs in the sword forum.

from what i gether under $500 is too cheap for a katana and it could be dangerous. you're best joining a kenjutsu (Iaido is probably the most common) before buying a sword so your sensei can give you the advice you need before purchasing a live katana. without training you shouldn't be buying a sword let alone actually swinging it about, you're very likely to kill yourself or a loved one if the blade breaks or even shatters.

-------
no its in the right place, after all a sword is a weapon.

under $500 is a wallhanger or basically a kata sword - ie not for iaido unless your sensei approves it.

And yes proper training is a MUST with any weapon especially a katana. I wouldn't be buying a live blade until you've done a few years of good training.

Edited by Reiki (10/18/05 05:47 PM)

#194797 - 10/18/05 01:47 PM Re: cold steel katanas [Re: funstick5000]
paradoxbox Offline
Enthusiast

>from what i gether under $500 is too cheap for a katana and it could be dangerous.<

That would put the entry level offerings from almost every sword company off the map. Choosing a good sword has not too much to do with the dollar figure and more to do with what you're asking from the sword.

Almost everyone has a Paul Chen practical katana as a 'beater blade'. This is what they use for test cutting and doing things on targets they wouldn't cut with their more precious blades (because of fear of scratching, staining, etc).

There are a large number of decent swords available for 500$ and under, look at Cold Steel, Hanwei, Last Legend, Furuyama, etc. Even a Paul Chen practical plus katana is ok as long as you are going to be responsible with it.

Technically this is one of 2 correct forums the thread is in, afterall a sword is a weapon.

#194798 - 10/18/05 04:16 PM Re: cold steel katanas [Re: paradoxbox]
funstick5000 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: West Yorkshire, England
should add that if you re going to buy a live blade go to www.bugei.com or www.swordstore.com as these test the swords for quality before selling them.

#194799 - 10/19/05 01:36 AM Re: cold steel katanas [Re: paradoxbox]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
Quote:

Almost everyone has a Paul Chen practical katana as a 'beater blade'.

NO serious iaido practitioner i have met uses a Paul Chen. Most instructors don't even allow them in their dojo. The closest you are going to come to a quality sword from Paul Chen is the Bugei line. I've heard Paul Chen has a decent sword under their company name but for it's price you can get a better Bugei iaito or a good quality iaito from swordstore.com.

Quote:

There are a large number of decent swords available for 500$ and under, look at Cold Steel, Hanwei, Last Legend, Furuyama, etc. Even a Paul Chen practical plus katana is ok as long as you are going to be responsible with it.

I don't have any experience with Furuyama but the rest you mentioned are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to katana. The main reasons being poor balance, poor fittings and poor quality in construction.

Here is how it works people. When starting out in ANY sword art you do NOT start with a "live" blade. You don't even start off purchasing a sword of any kind without first consulting your instructor in regards to what they require for new students in their school. At most you should only purchase a bokken, your instructor will advise you on the specifications for a sword in their school (i.e.: length of blade, length of handle) and give you recommendations of an outlet to purchase a quality sword. If your art is iaido you will be required to purchase an iaito and will practice with that for several years until your instructor feels you are ready to move to a "live" blade. This serves a few purposes. The most important being your safety and the safety of your fellow practitioners, you also don't want to begin with a "live" blade as you may drop it, ding it or damage it during your journey. You wouldn't buy a Ferrari to learn how to drive a stick would you? These years of training with an iaito will also give you a lot of time to save money as a "live" blade will cost you about $5,000 and up, you can get a blade alone with no fittings for about $3,000. Most iaito are a zinc/alluminum alloy but there are a few out making steel iaito. The alloy iaito are for kata only. Some steel iaito are designed for cutting such as the ones offered by bugei.com and swordstore.com. These i have seen allowed in legit dojos for training but only during tameshigeri. Swordstore.com and bugei.com will run $800 and up for an iaito that cuts. I wouldn't do tameshigeri with a Coldsteel or Paul Chen if you paid me. The big concern with doing tameshigeri isn't in doing it with a $7,000 sword; it's with doing it with an antique. Antique katana and a very select few smiths in Japan are considered national treasures. These swords are never to be used for tamishigeri and should be handled with extreme care.

If you are lucky enough to find a legit kenjutsu instructor in your area then you will be using a bokken for quite some time.

Long story short, find a quality instructor and buy what they tell you is best suited for their dojo. Don't go out and buy a Coldsteel katana and start beating up trees with it and calling your self "learning the katana". You will only waste your money and possibly injure or kill your self or someone close.

#194800 - 10/19/05 02:41 PM Re: cold steel katanas [Re: laf7773]
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
<sigh>
This is really good advice from Lane.

You *must* start with a bokken when learning sword arts.

I'm wondering if any of the new people has bothered to read the sticky post at the top of this forum about finding an instructor first before starting any weapons training.

#194801 - 10/19/05 03:30 PM Re: cold steel katanas [Re: Reiki]
noobsamurai Offline

laf.....you oppinion is your opinion....but as far as im concerned....many of the brands listed....minus the practical series of paul chen....are good quality swords that can be used in battle and cutting exercises.the cold steel are fairly good deal....around 600 for the o katana warrior....which has a great blade and good quality fittings.it seems theres to many guys on this site who think that money makes the sword....its all about personal opinion.

#194802 - 10/19/05 04:20 PM Re: cold steel katanas [Re: noobsamurai]
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
I'd listen to what Lane says.

He has many years of Iaido training and knows what he's talking about.

If he advises steer clear of xyz brand then its probably because he knows someone who had problems with it.

And as with many other things in life, you get what you pay for if you are buying from a reputable dealer.

#194803 - 10/19/05 10:18 PM Re: cold steel katanas [Re: Reiki]
noobsamurai Offline

laf...i had no idea of your experience.i just assumed you were one of those guys who says negative comments about every question posted....as ive seen in the past.thanks for your help, best regards

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga