FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (ergees), 25 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 5
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432483 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#193850 - 10/17/05 03:10 AM Re: Have any of you tried to add "Ninjutsu" to JKD [Re: foreverrocker]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
There was a ninjustsu guy in UFC 3, I think. I seem to recall he rushed a thai-boxer, got kicked to the floor and elbowed into oblivion.

Not making suggestions, just remembering

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#193851 - 10/17/05 08:53 AM Re: Have any of you tried to add "Ninjutsu" to JKD [Re: trevek]
foreverrocker Offline

I remember that guy, he stunk. What's your point? I have seen JKD people have their asses handed to them, I have seen Thai boxers whipped up on. I have seen every style lose at one time or another. It drives me crazy when we all run to the UFC for the answers...that is not how street fights play out. Street fights are over in minutes and with all the locks and holds Ninjutsu has, I can avoid really hurting someone. Please try not to find weakness in something that you do not know anything about.

It is hard for people to answer my simple question on this topic...if you have nothing to add but your vacuous opinion of Ninjutsu, I would prefer not to hear it. thanks

#193852 - 10/17/05 11:59 AM Re: Have any of you tried to add "Ninjutsu" to JKD [Re: foreverrocker]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
This is just a general comment not to anyone in specfic.

Ninjutsu has all the ranges of fighting in it, just like JKD, it has long range weapon into grappling. But Ninjutsu was never to be just a street fighting art. Its strength was in espinoage and stealth I could see one aiding the others but they have two different frames of mind. One seeks total freedom of expression through moment/technqiues the other seek to vavage and complete a mission by any means and at all cost.

You could add or take form either and strengthen your skills, but to what end I'm not sure. One is a bit arcaid by modern standards. Truth be told IMHO.

Edited by Neko456 (10/17/05 12:02 PM)

#193853 - 10/17/05 12:47 PM Re: Have any of you tried to add "Ninjutsu" to JKD [Re: Neko456]
foreverrocker Offline

I agree that traditional Ninjutsu is out-dated, however Stephen Hayes has a system in which he morphed the things he knew into a practical system. Kinda, sorta like what Bruce did.

It seems people are soo wrapped up with fighting. Most of us learning the Arts, will never ever use them for defense. So why do we learn it?. Why waste our time?. For me the Martial Arts are fasinating and add soo much more then a punch or a kick. So would learning even traditional Ninjutsu or the many forms of Kung Fu be a waste of time? That's silly, of course not. Maybe after some of you have been in Martial Arts for awhile you can see the big color picture. Not the 13inch b&w picture you see now. Free your mind.

#193854 - 10/18/05 07:00 AM Re: Have any of you tried to add "Ninjutsu" to JKD [Re: foreverrocker]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Guys - the whole notion of SYSTEMS THEMSELVES are outdated.

Forget about learning more styles and adding MORE in the mix. More isn't better. It isn't about how many "moves" you know, its about how well you can FIGHT with the one's you already know. The less you have to practice, the more time you have to master those things.

JKD is about hitting, kicking, clinching and fighting on the ground. Those areas aren't exclusive to one particular style or system. So in that sense, just learn to hit, kick, clinch and fight on the ground. Don't spend so much time worrying about adding "Ninjitsu" or any other art. Just focus on the tools and you'll get where you're wanting to go a lot quicker.

-John

#193855 - 10/18/05 08:29 AM Re: Have any of you tried to add "Ninjutsu" to JKD [Re: JKogas]
foreverrocker Offline

arrrgh... I give up with you guys. No one is reading what I am typing. After 15 years of working with JKD I think I have a little teeny-tiny bit of knowledge of what it is based on. It is a shame that everyone is stuck on what Bruce's words were at that time. It is like the bible, everyone has their own way of reading it.

Do you think Bruce would never have looked at anything else? never add a new move? My God, the man kept striving. He would never just leave it alone.

Closemindedness is not the JKD way. Just a tip.

#193856 - 10/18/05 10:55 AM Re: Have any of you tried to add "Ninjutsu" to JKD [Re: foreverrocker]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Woah, no offence. I just remmber the guy getting hammered. I remember a lot of people getting hammered. No, it was just the comment about not wanting to do UFC... thought I'd make a witty quip but it wasn't meant to be offensive (I can see how it would have been)

My brother in law did Ninjutsu, so I have no negative/vacuous thoughts (or he'd hammer me).
Sorry it sounded that way

(grovel, grovel... can I sleep with my windows open tonight without fear of flying shurikens?)

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#193857 - 10/18/05 01:04 PM Re: Have any of you tried to add "Ninjutsu" to JKD [Re: foreverrocker]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I agree but if you have a idea or format that covers most or all of the ranges I see your point why keep adding if its not a big benifit. Keep explorering what is usable and what is not to you. I think u need to test it to see it really flows with what you got.

On the otehr hand if you just got stand up or grappling you may need something to fill the voids, I still know people who can grapple with the best of them or strike with best but can't respond when the range/flow changes they still want to try to standup or push away or hang with a takedown when their in striking range usually reaching and getting caught. So they need someone or something to make them whole or flow ninjitsu could or might be that something?

The thing is flow don't practice various different arts and can only doing them 1 at a time. Sounds irrational for thoses that flow JKD,Gung-fu,Silat, Kaila, Ninjitsu guys but for some Western & Eastern arts its not thats simple. It still need tape between creases.

#193858 - 10/18/05 01:47 PM Re: Have any of you tried to add "Ninjutsu" to JKD [Re: trevek]
foreverrocker Offline

Everything is good trevek. I shall call back my ninja posse.

I just get irritated with people needing to explain JKD to me. I was just looking at what else is out there.

#193859 - 10/18/05 02:00 PM Re: Have any of you tried to add "Ninjutsu" to JKD [Re: JKogas]
foreverrocker Offline

"JKD is about hitting, kicking, clinching and fighting on the ground. Those areas aren't exclusive to one particular style or system. So in that sense, just learn to hit, kick, clinch and fight on the ground. Don't spend so much time worrying about adding "Ninjitsu" or any other art. Just focus on the tools and you'll get where you're wanting to go a lot quicker."

I would now like you to tell me where you think I am going. And, who is in a hurry? I want to incorporate some new things just for myself, just for fun, for the heck of it. Now please stop with all the single mindedness. I just wanted to hear from people who may have studied the art.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga