FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 2
ergees 2
log1call 1
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
09/09/14 05:55 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
09/02/14 06:26 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432491 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#193840 - 10/13/05 05:13 PM Have any of you tried to add "Ninjutsu" to JKD?
foreverrocker Offline

I was looking into exploring other arts, as is the JKD way. I was wondering if any JKD minded people have tried it out. I have been thinking of the Stephen Hayes To-Shin Do.

Any experiance with any of the styles?

#193841 - 10/13/05 07:53 PM Re: Have any of you tried to add "Ninjutsu" to JKD? [Re: foreverrocker]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
No....JKD is about the pursuit of TRUTH in combat...

-John

#193842 - 10/13/05 08:13 PM Re: Have any of you tried to add "Ninjutsu" to JKD? [Re: foreverrocker]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I was very into Togakure-ryu Ninjutsu many years ago. I read all the books by Hayes, Hatsumi, Bussey, etc. It is interesting to note the similarity of mindset between those Ninjutsu styles and Jeet Kune Do.

But I never formally studied Ninjutsu. I would say that anytime you find anything good from any other style, that is JKD.

#193843 - 10/14/05 08:43 AM Re: Have any of you tried to add "Ninjutsu" to JKD? [Re: JKogas]
foreverrocker Offline

Truth?, sure, I guess.

To me JKD is a giant tree with many branches. My "tree" has about 5 different arts involved at this time. Of course it is great to be able to take what is useful from any art, but that is not a easy task. If I train with Hayes or whomever, I do not think they will teach me the useful (truth?) of his art right off. I will need to go through the motions. I would like to add some of the Japanese arts to my "tree"...and to climb trees with those hand claws

#193844 - 10/14/05 01:42 PM Re: Have any of you tried to add "Ninjutsu" to JKD [Re: foreverrocker]
Fluid_Motion Offline

Bruce was about skill, the root, not the decorative branches of combat. When it goes down, which of those five arts are you going to choose, and out of those five, which have you honed the most so that when it does indeed go down, you respond properly. JKD is about Daily Decrease, not Increase. How are you going to get your punch down if you keep adding and adding?

#193845 - 10/14/05 05:04 PM Re: Have any of you tried to add "Ninjutsu" to JKD? [Re: foreverrocker]
ShaolinNinja Offline
hates silicone bubishi

Loc: Ireland
I am currently studying both ninjutsu (budo taijutsu, that is) and Shaolin kung fu (wuzuquan and wuqiquan). I don't know jeet kune do firsthand, so not all of this may be relevant, but I can offer some impressions of the combination of ninjutsu and kung fu.
(I'm new to this board and I don't know what the general attitude to ninjutsu here is; I notice it's not given a discussion forum. I hope there aren't people here who dismiss it as soulless or vicious - an attitude I have encountered in martial artists before.)

If you study ninjutsu, you will learn hundreds of techniques; I typically learn six or seven new techniques per class. One of the advantages of ninjutsu is that it covers every form of combat: boxing, kicking, stand-up throwing, grappling etc. Kung fu, on the other hand, would seem to have a slower pace of learning. This is because the focus is not so much on learning a large number of techniques, but on getting the basics right, on developing focus and proper delivery. The subtleties of kinetics learned from kung fu will add to ninjutsu. To put it crudely, ninjutsu provides me with the raw techniques which my kung fu training allows me to perfect them further. For example, in ninjutsu I'm taught to punch with the fist vertical, while stepping through, with the wrist and forearm aligned and the knuckles clenched at the moment before impact. All this is good advice and helps the power of the punch, but not to the refined extent of the kung fu training - relaxing the arm and shoulder, flexing the abdomen, turning the hips forward. Using the kung fu methods give me an edge when performing techniques in ninjutsu.

The physical conditioning of kung fu is superb for improving flexibility and strength. Obviously, this physical improvement will be of benefit in ninjutsu. Flexibility opens up new doors in groundwork, and allows for better kicking. In my experience - and maybe this is just my dojo - ninjutsu alone isn't enough to develop strength, fitness or flexibility without some additional workout.

#193846 - 10/14/05 06:39 PM Re: Have any of you tried to add "Ninjutsu" to JKD [Re: Fluid_Motion]
foreverrocker Offline

huh!? So I need to practice a jab and front kick the rest of my life, limiting my potential? Keep in mind now, Martial arts is more to me then a "what if" in a bar. I can surely handle myself. For me to practice JKD concepts for 15 years and to have someone tell me that to limit myself is to grow/get better...well I have heard it all and that is the worst advice I have ever heard. Stop reading books and watching movies...you need to live it to be it.

<---lover of the Martial way

p.s. thanks ShaolinNinja, it was nice for someone to give me the advice I asked for.

#193847 - 10/15/05 03:34 AM Re: Have any of you tried to add "Ninjutsu" to JKD [Re: foreverrocker]
Fluid_Motion Offline

I'll just leave you with these ideas: JKD is SIMPLE, direct, and non classical; true refinement seeks simplicity; JKD hacks away at the unessentials, ornamentation is only half - way cultivation.

#193848 - 10/15/05 08:24 AM Re: Have any of you tried to add "Ninjutsu" to JKD [Re: foreverrocker]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Hey, as the story of the fox and the cat goes, the technique which works and is simplest is the one which can keep you alive.

On Ninjutsu, although i've never practiced it, I would have thought it too had ideas of using what is useful and direct. if you are an assassin you have to do the job quickly and get out without getting drawn into long combat scenarios. I'd imagine it was open to adaptation in a JKD way.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#193849 - 10/15/05 11:19 AM Re: Have any of you tried to add "Ninjutsu" to JKD [Re: Fluid_Motion]
foreverrocker Offline

That I'll agree with. I am by no means a "master" of any style and do not plan to be. I also have fun learning Martial Arts. I am not going to compete in the UFC so honing a skill to that level is pointless..for me. I love the open-ended approach of JKD and "keeping it simple" frame of mind, but, what if I am getting bored? I know how to end a fight in 30 seconds, now what. Do I need to end it in 20, then 10 etc..I am proud to say that Martial Arts have brought me to a level within I could not have reached without it. I remember the days when I thought, wow, I can fight. Then I discoverd all the beauty in the Arts. Why would you just care about the basic "what can it do for me". It is like a canvess with no paint on it.

I will be looking into Ninjutsu further and see if it adds to my being.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga