FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#193813 - 10/13/05 10:39 PM Re: My opinion on WTF sparring and sport spar. You [Re: blascun2k]
Christie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Waterloo, ON
Quote:

Okay, then quit bringing it up...

over, and over, and over, and over again.... its getting entirely irritating

Every thread you (tkdfighter) have ever started has been about directly or indirectly the effectiveness of Tae Kwon Do.

#193814 - 10/14/05 05:20 AM Re: My opinion on WTF sparring and sport spar. You [Re: Christie]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Fighter, listen to what people are trying to tell you.

Let me give you a scenario. A WTF-TKD guy and a boxer. One is predominantly reknowned for kicking, the other for hand-strikes.

"Aha", the boxer thinks, "TKD guys can't cope with close up punching techniques (I've seen the Olympics, so I know)". What does he try to do? Close the gap and get in there. He has too cos otherwise he'll never hit the TKD guy.

Question: What does TKD guy do, does he just let him get close. If yes, it suggests he might not know about comfort zones. Ideally he would use his kicking to inflict damage at a distance. However, maybe he lets boxer get close. Boxer thinks he's onto a good thing until he is treated to a short range spinning back kick to the ribs. Ouuuch!

What are we saying here, is boxing ineffective? No, of course not. But in this instance the TKD guy knew how to counter a hand fighter.

In Chang Hon style TKD (ITF-style) we were always told, get close in on the WTF guys cos they don't know what to do. What nobody told us is that a lot of them do. having trained with some WTF guys I found this out.

That being said, in a telephone box or the edge of the ring it is hard to do a spinning reverse kick so it is better to develop your punching. As we've said a zillion times before, TKD has loads of hand/elbow strikes but they aren't often taught to the fullest extent. Other arts emphasize these things over kicking, so watching or training in these arts can give you new insights into your own TKD. It isn't a case of them being superior, they just train in a way many TKDers don't.

So, what have you got from all your posts... it aint the art its the way you train.

You're too young to be having mid-life crisis that you've wasted your life doing TKD. You've woken up (somewhere) and smelled the smell of coffee, just get out there and sample all the different types rather than asking if your brand is the best.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#193815 - 10/14/05 09:03 AM Re: My opinion on WTF sparring and sport spar. You [Re: trevek]
TKDFighter89 Offline

yo thanks trevek. that's the kind of well-thought out answer i was looking for. appreciate it.

Even up until several months ago, I had no doubt at all. But after checking out some forums, I've heard many people insult TKD, saying how ineffective it was, how weak it was, and how it was so vulnerable to other styles. eventually it got to me so that's why ibegan questioning what i was doing.

plus, all of this ufc pridefc and k-1 insanity added on to the doubt.

i think i do now believe that all styles are equal..

#193816 - 10/14/05 09:28 AM Re: My opinion on WTF sparring and sport spar. You [Re: TKDFighter89]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

You're welcome Fighter,

I think it is the insular nature of a lot of TKD which leads to bad comparisons. Did you get my links to Mark Weir, the TKD/MMA guy? They're on a listing further down TKD site (backing it up)

#193817 - 10/14/05 09:29 AM Re: My opinion on WTF sparring and sport spar. You [Re: TKDFighter89]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

So, did you finally come to any conclusions? I can wait 1200 seconds if you like.

#193818 - 10/14/05 09:38 AM Re: My opinion on WTF sparring and sport spar. You [Re: trevek]
TKDFighter89 Offline

How do you mean? Why do you say its insular? and yes i know what the word means...

#193819 - 10/14/05 12:28 PM Re: My opinion on WTF sparring and sport spar. You [Re: TKDFighter89]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Fighter,

He meant insular in the respect that many TKD schools and organizations stay within the limited bounds of their own systems. Thus, the exposure to other styles...either singularly or as a group is limited.

In some cases, the tournaments in a particular TKD system might be closed to even outside TKD participants, let alone allow for outsider stylists.

What this does is beg the question of exposure to different techniques from different styles and seems to fuel questions about the utility of TKD as practiced by some of these insular practioners.

-B

#193820 - 10/15/05 08:13 AM Re: My opinion on WTF sparring and sport spar. You [Re: butterfly]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Exactly, Butterfly. I was in one assoc in UK where you needed permission to enter a non-association tournament.

#193821 - 12/01/05 11:04 AM Re: My opinion on WTF sparring and sport spar. Yours? [Re: TKDFighter89]
kshaun Offline
Stranger

TKD Fighter you are absolutely right on with your theory on TKD sparring. Even though TKD Fighters use their feet in the sport application of TKD, people fail to recognize that TKD is a martial art as well. We learn the same exact things as a Karate man, Judo man, Jiu-Jitsu man and Muay Thai man. The difference is in TKD's emphasis, which is on kicking geared toward sport and effective movement for on the street. TKDoists learn elbows, low kicks, joint locks, punching(jab,cross,hooks etc.). Taekwondo sparring is simply put the same as any other combat sport. Boxing emphasis hands and only hands, Grapplers grapple, and only grapple. Every style looks like a specific set style. All boxers fight the same, all grapplers fight the same, and all muay thai fighters fight the same. In my opinion every style of martial arts is the same. The only difference is the one thing that sets them apart from each other. It just so happens that sets apart Taekwondo is kicking.
And damn good kicking I might add.

#193822 - 12/04/05 01:25 AM Re: My opinion on WTF sparring and sport spar. Yours? [Re: kshaun]
LameDojoHater Offline

Quote:

And damn good kicking I might add.

Lol. Yeah. I've heard a sidekick is actually really awkward for non-TKD people to do. Yet most people in TKD can do it pretty well.

Oh and about WTF sparring...

WTF sparring is fine, just so long as it's full contact. No punches to the head isn't good for realism, but without that rule people would be a foot apart throwing punches all day long.

I prefer allowing punches to the head. Just so long as the other person doesn't spend all day a mere foot from me.

Oh and don't complain about WTF sparring TKDfighter. I have to put up with the following rules at my school.

1. No contact at all.

2. No kicks or punches to the head.

3. Only area to hit is the body.

(I hate it and I never even try to spar, since these rules make it pointless.)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga