FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 8
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432478 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#193147 - 01/03/06 01:13 PM Re: Hard knuckles [Re: jkdwarrior]
Layzie_Bone Offline

I do know of a way to condition your knuckles pretty effectively and painlessly. But unfortunately, you must condition your teeth by chewing ice and aluminum foil first. (By the way, why hit with your knuckles when you can use your palms?)

P.S. A great way to condition your knuckles is by tying a rope between two items, until it is too tight to break under any circumstance. Then you unleashe a bit of fury with just south of your knuckles on the rope. Do it for a few hours each day, as part of your training. Your knuckles will be huge and powerful. But unfortunately, you'll end up with arthritis.
Layzie - Out!

#193148 - 01/03/06 08:53 PM Re: Hard knuckles [Re: Layzie_Bone]
Ethanael Offline

My grandfather's old Master did that. He died without any arthritis.

Arthritis is mostly caused by the alkalinity of your blood, anyway. Eat right, and you'll not have arthritis for a long time.

#193149 - 01/04/06 05:46 AM Re: Hard knuckles [Re: Ethanael]
shihan_chris Offline

Although, its always good to be conditioned, pounding your knuckles just to make them tougher is not adviseable. You don't have to have a single knuckle mass like Mas Oyama. All that matters is that you have a high pain tolerance if you have to use your knuckles on somebody, and believe me when I say you will.

#193150 - 01/05/06 05:17 AM Re: Hard knuckles [Re: shihan_chris]
Grayston Offline

Loc: Essex, UK
Quote:

Although, its always good to be conditioned, pounding your knuckles just to make them tougher is not adviseable. You don't have to have a single knuckle mass like Mas Oyama. All that matters is that you have a high pain tolerance if you have to use your knuckles on somebody, and believe me when I say you will.

Totally agree with this last comment...

Respectfully,

#193151 - 01/05/06 08:01 AM Re: Hard knuckles [Re: Grayston]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

Quote:

Respectfully,

Me too. Welcome back around Chris!

#193152 - 01/05/06 04:41 PM Re: Hard knuckles [Re: BrianS]
Trejo539 Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Respectfully,

Me too. Welcome back around Chris!

i disagree in that you should train your knuckles but by pounding softly against a hard surface. this way your wrist or knuckles do no get seriously injured in a fight. i condition my abdominal muscles shins neck and knuckles to prevent serious injury and to be capable of applying serious injuries.

#193153 - 04/06/06 07:41 PM Re: Hard knuckles [Re: Trejo539]
Wosaw Offline

I'm new here, but i'd like to add my own input to this section. I have done training to harden my knuckles, but not only my knuckles but other various places on my body. I noticed most ppl on this topic disagree to do this, and they have good reason to do so. Doing this type of training can potential hurt you in the long run if done improperly. If you wish to do this I suggest learning from someone who really does have the knowledge and experence to teach you properly. Don't ask me who lol. Shaolin monks have been known to do this type of training, so your best bet is with them. A punching bag can harden your knuckles and wrist a bit so thats another option if you really want to do this.
For me though, I'm glad I learned how to strenghten my knuckles it does have its benefits of course. Also, don't blame me if you try on your own btw, I won't be held accountable to what you do to yourself. Anyways, train safe.

#193154 - 04/06/06 11:28 PM Re: Hard knuckles [Re: MattJ]
Derik Offline
Cruisin' for a bruisin'

I condition my knuckles they are hard as a rock. Just punch stuff like street poles and desks and stuff when you walk by

#193155 - 04/12/09 04:25 PM Re: Hard knuckles [Re: Derik]
SifuHax Offline

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
How I train my knuckles:

I use Wing Chun vertical knuckles to begin with.
I start by dropping my fists into the lawn. Right in the grass and dirt. I do this until there's a defined hole with the impress of my knuckles in the dirt. Then I make more holes. I also do push up on vertical fists too. My knuckles are supporting me from the sides in the center of my torso. After a set of however many from just dropping your fists, start doing sets of chain punches making more holes. You can also use this simple method to strengthen your wrists, palms, fingertips and pretty much anything you can hit with.

If you don't like getting dirty, tape up a phone book (using masking tape) and lay it on the floor, ground, or another phone book and hit it.

These are free and safe ways of building the bones in your hand. You don't want to punch anything that doesn't give and you want to start your sets with "lazy hands." Just let your fist fall.

Your skeleton is new bone every 10 years. Your bones grow stronger where they are used most used. Training your knuckles is a gradual process.

Within 4 months of doing this training I'd say it'd be safe to advance to gravel.
The greatest tool I've found for hand bone and skin conditioning is a rice bag/wall bag. You have to build the skin around your knuckles also. Other wise your knuckles will break your skin and you won't be able to hit harder surfaces (such as bamboo, other woods, or concrete).

These are exercises my teachers gave me that have done wonders for my punch strength along with the bones in my hands.

#193156 - 04/12/09 05:08 PM Re: Hard knuckles [Re: SifuHax]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
Alot of people think that traditional methods like makiwara etc. are solely for building some kind of "super bones" or knuckles...such an idea is pretty questionable imo.

What this kind of training is meant to do is to teach proper striking form primarily, the toughening of the skin etc. is a byproduct of the training, not the goal, and not a very convincing reason for this kind of training by itself.

You don't need knuckles of steel to defend yourself, however you do need to know how to put your force into something, there are a ton of different ways to go about doing that.

Striking rigid things with a certain amount of give is a good method of impact training in traditional arts, but it's main purpose isn't really physical "conditioning" so much as it is a way to audit your physical structure and technique...at least that's my take on it after being exposed to a few different schools of thought on this kind of training.

I personally like partner training with a phone book (or two depending on who is doing the hitting) and a partner for this kind of thing, in general it's not too hard on the knuckles and then the partner can give feedback as well.

I've tried using a focus pad as well but generally they are too thin and the person holding it against them will not want to do so for long.

Also the arthritis thing is a moot point, unless you are overdoing it, or doing it improperly there is no evidence that this kind of training causes arthritis, studies have been done on this, I can probably dig them up if you want.

Basically if this kind of training is causing injury then 1) The implement you are hitting does not have enough give

or

2) You are hitting wrong and messing up your joints in the process, if training this kind of thing is particularly painful (beyond the process early on of just hitting stuff) you likely need to re evaluate how you are doing it.

Edited by Zach_Zinn (04/12/09 05:21 PM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga