FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 5
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#190997 - 10/05/05 09:39 PM Re: Learning Krav Maga in few lessons? [Re: ShikataGaNai]
ToddR Offline

Loc: York, PA
It used to be called "MOdern Martial Arts" and was originally in Bellevue, WA but then it moved to Seattle, underneath the Gold's Gym at the Convention Center downtown, but now it's in Auburn I think. Sorry for the runaround but I stopped training there two years ago and switched to a fantastic JKD school called MKG Seattle. It's a Dan Inosanto-affiliated school-they teach kali, muay thai, jun fan/jkd, BJJ and CSW, savate, silat!!! Great bunch of people too--Andy, Bob, and Tammy are awesome instructors and people. They're in the Greenwood neighborhood of Seattle. Best of luck

#190998 - 10/06/05 07:28 AM Re: Learning Krav Maga in few lessons? [Re: ToddR]
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
Tod,

I think that there is a huge difference between krav, as it is tought in the states, and krav in israel. one difference is that, unlike most other martial arts that I know of, krav may be more simple the closer it is to its source. my feeling is that most of the masters of krav maga who work outside of israel have followed a similar path - they studied a japanese or korean martial art as a younger person, did krav for a while in the army, went on to work extensivly in various martial arts for a few years, and now teach "krav", to which they have added things that might have been missing in the origional curriculum. so that the best krav masters are actually teaching krav enhanced with TKD, BJJ, haipkido and other arts.

krav, by its nature, was started to be a simple art that could be tought quickly to people who were fit but didn't know any martial arts. it has evolved, and kept the origional philosophy while doing so, which is great.

#190999 - 10/06/05 08:48 AM Re: Learning Krav Maga in few lessons? [Re: globetrotter]
ToddR Offline

I think you're right on the money globetrotter. The civilian and military versions of krav are designed for difference purposes - one meant to be a system that you can train for years but which will also allow you to protect yourself pretty quickly and the other krav (the IDF version) is a crash course meant to prepare soldiers dealing with things like terrorists).
One of the selling points of the "civilian" krav maga was that it's supposed to be an "open art" so it will incorporate new techniques as necesssary, like BJJ. I think this was what most attracted me to krav maga (and later to JKD) and away from some traditional martial arts -- that the best krav instructors will see the emergence of, say, BJJ or sambo and incorporate some of those techniques into krav. I think that's a good thing. In fact, while I don't think there are a whole lot of similarities between krav and JKD, the two arts are often compared because of their "open system" philosophy. But, in my experience, krav training is a lot more "scenario-based", something that I didn't experience in JKD, and there wasn't an emphasis on stress training and "chaos" drills in my JKD school. I remember training with a few women at the JKD school who were disappointed that it wasn't more self-defense oriented and I think a few of them switched to krav. And, I remember my JKD instructors talking about integrating some RBSD into their JKD. Now, I think that is awesome! Not to get too far off the track here, but this to me is what all martial arts should strive for--to use the philosophy of taking what is useful and integrating it into your art and discarding what doesn't work, but with the understanding that what works and doesn't work is going to be different for everyone. I hope krav will continue to have this type of mindset.

#191000 - 10/06/05 12:33 PM Re: Learning Krav Maga in few lessons? [Re: ToddR]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania
Outstanding post!

#191001 - 10/07/05 06:05 PM Re: Learning Krav Maga in few lessons? [Re: ShikataGaNai]
ToddR Offline

I found their new website: http://www.pmalynnwood.com/

It looks like Patrick is still teaching krav maga but he's also involved in the Premier Martial Arts program which looks very cool! Anyone know who started the PMA program? It looks like a prominent instructor in the Philly area, Ernie Kirk, is involved in PMA as well.

#191002 - 10/07/05 08:05 PM Re: Learning Krav Maga in few lessons? [Re: ToddR]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania
Quote:

I found their new website: http://www.pmalynnwood.com/

It looks like Patrick is still teaching krav maga but he's also involved in the Premier Martial Arts program which looks very cool! Anyone know who started the PMA program? It looks like a prominent instructor in the Philly area, Ernie Kirk, is involved in PMA as well.

Ernie IS Premier Martial Arts and Krav-Maga PA. He is the guy who certifies and licences dojos for Krav. I know Ernie quite well. I train at at the only non-premier gym that he has certified and licenced here in Philly area. I also train and attend seminars at his locations from time to time.

He has a huge new dojo on South RT202...almost in Delaware.

#191003 - 10/08/05 08:59 AM Re: Learning Krav Maga in few lessons? [Re: RangerG]
ToddR Offline

Wow, that looks like a great program! Wish they had one of those closer to York.

#191004 - 09/30/07 05:33 PM Re: Learning Krav Maga in few lessons? [Re: ShikataGaNai]
SeattleRez Offline
Stranger

Personally speaking, I really think you would be hard-pressed to find a better krav maga instructor in North America than Jay Pachl at Krav Maga Seattle (www.kravmagaseattle.com). He has 20 years of experience and is an incredible instructor. He is fully linked in with the International Krav Maga Federation, and has done training seminars in Europe as well as across North America, with "regular" people as well as law enforcement and military, in addition to his "normal" classes here in Seattle. And he is in constant contact and colloboration with the Israelis who run IKMF (www.krav-maga.com) (don't forget the "-" in between "krav" and "maga"). This is in North Seattle, not downtown or the East Side. I am neither a great athlete nor a great self-defense practitioner, but I have learned a LOT - by which I mean a LOT - from Jay and the phenomenal group as a whole at KM Seattle. The classes are in my opinion the best value in the city of Seattle.

- One extraordinarly satisfied KM practioner

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga