FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 6
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432478 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#190413 - 10/02/05 07:30 PM USSD a McDojo?
prospero Offline

I've been studying Kempo at United Studios of Self Defense for nearly four years now, and I am a green belt. I'd like to hear the thoughts of the more experienced martial artists here on USSD's commerciality. Is it a McDojo? Is it a valid martial arts practice? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

#190414 - 10/02/05 07:48 PM Re: USSD a McDojo? [Re: prospero]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I do not know much about USSD. The only important question is do you think it is a McDojo? With nearly 4 years of training, you should have a good idea.

I am interested to hear about the style and your take on it.

#190415 - 10/02/05 09:26 PM Re: USSD a McDojo? [Re: prospero]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Prospero,

I think it might have some elements of a McDojo, but I cannot confirm this. The reason I bring this up is with some anecdotal comments made by my cousin. She was taking two of her sons to USSD classes in Orange County, California and commented that the classes were getting too expensive.

If I remember correctly, she was stating that to go up another level or learn more kata/forms, they had to pay more money, meaning substantially more. That the tests kept getting a lot more expensive and I beleive there was something to do with a contract, as well. But I am not 100% sure of this.

To have a pretext where much more money is required for advancement and continued study has always been a bad sign for me. However, this does not invalidate the instruction or the instructors.

I have no personal experience about USSD outside of this. Just remember the comments and thought they were McDojoish.

-B

#190416 - 10/03/05 01:24 AM Re: USSD a McDojo? [Re: prospero]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
Let's see...

> Lots of up-front money...check
> Required to purchase lots of stuff through their school...check
> Teaching 'Open Tournament' techniques as SD...check
> Young, under-qualified "instructors"...check
> No legitimate lineage...check
> President bought an "honorary ambassadorship to the Shaolin Temple"...check
> Vast franchise willing to take on new schools regardless of background...check
> Teaching a variety of MA all lumped together...check
> Took over where Fred Villari left off...check

I don't know...how do I say this...Yes?

#190417 - 10/03/05 01:13 PM Re: USSD a McDojo? [Re: hedkikr]
shaolinmonkdude Offline

Is ussd a mcdojo? In my opinion yes. They came from fred villari www.villarisonline.com in 1988 mattara left villaris and opened about 30 or so schools in cali.
Their art is really mixed, it has kempo in it but I've never heard of any shaolin in it. I have heard that there is some shotakan forums in it.

I think its a mcdojo because mattera changed the kempo combs name to shaolin defensive maneuvers and on his web site and his manual he makes no mention of grand master fred villari, who he reveived white thruogh 7th degree black belt.
And you cant own a dojo with them 100% any more. And it cost around $120,000. Run away!!

#190418 - 10/03/05 01:32 PM Re: USSD a McDojo? [Re: shaolinmonkdude]
UofM Shorin Ryu Offline
Resident Forum Breakdancer

Holy S#%T!!!
I wouldn't buy a CAR for $120,000!

Keep running, don't look back!!!

#190419 - 10/03/05 01:46 PM Re: USSD a McDojo? [Re: UofM Shorin Ryu]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Perhaps we should all set some kind of estimated upper limit on the price of training in a non-McDojo, so that people have something to reference? I know prices will fluctuate with economic conditions but there should be some guide as to what to expect.

I'm thinking that a good price is between 50-100 USD per month, anything less is really cheap (not necessarily poor quality). Anything more than 250 USD I would call overly expensive. This excludes training equipment of course but should include grading fees.

Anyone else have any estimates? I'd like to hear what kinds of fees we're paying.

#190420 - 10/03/05 02:27 PM Re: USSD a McDojo? [Re: UofM Shorin Ryu]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
I think he meant buying the franchise for $120K. Of course, this won't cover all the support items such as videos, t-shirts, gear bags, uniforms, weapons & instructor training etc., etc., etc.

But don't worry, you can pass it on to the throng of students waiting to sign-up via the company's excellent marketing campaign & support.

In my area, the local newspaper (Orange County Register) prints a yearly suppliment - "The Best of O.C.". It lists the 10 "Best" steak houses, beaches, dance clubs (everything) including MA schools. USSD wins nearly every year. WOW!

And how does the paper get all the ratings??? You got it...the subscribers send in their votes. So a large chain-school will have many more students submitting votes (can you say fixed elections kids?) to launch their school into 1st place. Naive readers see this & guess what???

Billions & billions served...want fries w/ that?

owari

#190421 - 10/03/05 02:34 PM Re: USSD a McDojo? [Re: shaolinmonkdude]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
a loooong time ago (70's), there used to be called a "Villari's Studio of Health & Self Defense". They started in Waltham, MA I grew up 10 miles away. At the time in the area, you basically had 2 choices of commercial dojo - Okinawan or Kenpo. The Okinawan styles were mostly run by ex-servicemen, the Kenpo places seemed to have been heading into the more competitive/sport side of MA.
Then came along a third choice - Villari...arguably the first blatent McDojo. except, at the time, there wasn't a word to describe what they were teaching...other than the phrase, 'wicked crap'. not sure what business model was employed (pretty sure it was 'pyramid scheme' like amway), but there were new studios popping up in surrounding towns faster than pizza joints.

My friends and I called it "Villari's House of Pizza" ...the joke was you simply go there and pickup your blackbelt as easily as ordering a pizza. fastfood MA-blackbelt in 2 years or less at a time when the bare minimum was 5 years of continuous 4x+ a week training.
We didn't think to give it the 'McDojo' name... probably because we didn't consider it a dojo...some of these places were even carpeted and they wore little kung-fu shoes...they even experimented with wearing robes during training, so it would 'whooosh' when they do spin kicks lol. I think they stopped that when too many people were tripping on their capes during demos. That was the basis of the style: 'How can I look cooler doing this technique.'
Picture a really tacky chinese food restaurant interior with freaks from a circus running the restaurant and you'll get the image of walking into one of these places during the 70's.

anyway, if you can imagine Villari graduates opening their own chain of pizza houses thru the years, each one adding and subracting to an already bad tasting sauce...then you'll get an idea of how bad USSD is.
USSD's pizza is a ketchup sauce w/powdered cheese on a cardboard crust served cold.

That sound tasty to anyone?

#190422 - 10/03/05 03:05 PM Re: USSD a McDojo? [Re: Kintama]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kent, England
"That sound tasty to anyone?"

*Raises hand...*

Err...

*Quietly puts hand down and hides*

Edited by McSensei (10/03/05 03:09 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga